Support with host delaying replies

Support with host delaying replies

I need advice please. My daughter booked a stay for Tuesday this week to Saturday. Due to unforseen circumstances she didn't board her flight and messaged to host immediately to them know she would need to cancel and asked if she could reschedule for another week. The host responded with an hour to say possibly let me know what dates. She gave a full two months of when she could reschedule. She got no reply. She followed this up a day later and asked again giving specific dates. Basically she was free any time over  a two month period. Again, no reply. Mindful that she still needed rearrange flights etc, another day later and she sent yet another message and got no reply. Eventually 3 days later she received a message to say no i cant accommodate you (even though the booking system shows availability). She requested the partial refund in line with the hosts cancellation policy and she was told by the host that no she will not be partially refunded. Contact has been made to air b n b to assist and they have also told her no partial refund. I feel like the host has delayed the replies in order for her to be left with 'officially' cancelling through air b n b on her last day of stay so they she gets no refund whatsoever. Any advice appreciated. Thank you

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jennifer4603 we will never know what the host was thinking but sadly your daughter didn't help herself. If she knew she wasn't going she should have cancelled immediately and would have got, as a minimum, the cleaning fee back. Sadly by not doing so the host is unable to rebook the property so is unlikely to be helpful. Can she claim on her travel insurance?

In hindsight yes she should. I think she thought she was doing the right thing in attempting to rebook. Just a shame the host didn't respond to her and delayed things until the last day. Not very host like 😞