The Client continues to call and send sms during 20 min after his official cancellation (midnight)

Answered!
Olga464
Level 10
Kyiv, Ukraine

The Client continues to call and send sms during 20 min after his official cancellation (midnight)

I recieved an order yesterday around midnight, instant book (23:42 on 8th of July 2019). That was THE VERY LAST MINUTE BOOKING AT MIDNIGHT.

The client ordered a room and called me on my registered telephone number right after.

Turned out to be there gonna be more people than 1 allowed by my listing.

The client was very agressive in his telephone conversation. He told me ( the owner) that he doesn't wanna see me in my own apartment as he's gonna be not alone (23:42, almost midnight, where should i put myself.... in a closet....?).

As I serve bookings coming from 1 person only (and I am a superhost for the 3rd time already during 1 year, it's my first year on airbnb), I told him I can accept him as a guest, with no additional visitors.

The client officially cancelled. And then continued calling and sending me sms during 20 minutes, trying to reveal the exact concrete address of my physical stay.

I found it very dangerous as the client said before he's not gonna be alone. If the client officially cancelled that means the end of story. He made his choice.

So, I didn't answer any future calls or sms from him, after the exact moment he made his official cancellation on the site.

The next day (today, 9th of July 2019) the russian department gave money back to the client. And I am asking russian and american departments now to refund my money for this order, because I find this type of clients behavior to be very dangerous. I offered Airbnb team to request the sound copy of the telephone conversation from the telephone company to actually hear what type of client we are dealing with.

Plus, I have strict cancellation rules. I do not return money.

What is your opinion on this case?

I have all the photo proofs of all calls and sms recieved from this client ( I sent it to airbnb already, to both, russian and american departments). But I want your opinion.

I have the most central location in the capital and serve around the clock. Business class room at 30 bucks a night per 1 person only.

1 Best Answer
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Stephanie @Olga464 

How ever did this case go as far as it ever has?

An abusive guest books accommodation at short notice unsuitable for the quantity of guests the accommodation is listed for and then after insisting the host is not present in her own home and cancellation by the guest he abuses and terrorises the host for which Airbnb reward the guest by giving a 100% refund ?

Rewarding guests in this way does not support hosts in any way, instead it rewards guests to be expectant and demanding. If this is what Airbnb want to promote, then they're doing a fabulous job. This is not just scandalous, but equally newsworthy.

Can somebody at Airbnb, please, just get real and see whats going on with the hosts they acclaim as Superhosts for ongoing great service and give them some support and credibility ?

View Best Answer in original post

39 Replies 39

Very strange. Entry to Ukraine is difficult on both sides. So angry that he could not come to you what that nonsense. Are you sure his account isn't fake?

@Виталий5 He is ukrainian, from another city

@Olga464  It seems that it is easier to get money back than removing a retaliatory review. Hopefully this guest will not write you a retaliatory review. Otherwise, you would have to deal with that.

@Mike1034  The guest wrote the review where he gives  faulse info on each step of review. He writes about hidden rules. Not true. All the rules are online. Intro letter he got is a complete copy of my listing. Nothing is hidden. He lies about me not picking up the phone. I stopped answering the phone and sms after his official reservation cancellation by his own initiative. After that the guest continued to torture me  with sms and phone calls during 20 minutes to find out my place of stay to enter my apartment with group of people ( only 1 is allowed). He reffers to me as a scandal person. Although I asked airbnb to get the record from telephone company so they could hear I were very polite and the guest shouted at me with all the bad words possible in this world. The guest is saying about absense of service although the guest has never physically been in my apartment. Of course, I applied with all that to the support team. As this guest is spoiling the imagine of the company and the service on all levels.

Виталий5
Level 2
Moscow, Russia

Someday I will have such a guest. I wonder how I'll react to that!? You try your best and get a bad review. Offensively.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Olga464 I had a guest who gave a fake death certificate to airbnb and I had proof that it was fake. They refunded him two weeks of stay in full. I called, I wrote, it all did not matter. By airbnb rules he should not be able to review you though.

@Inna22  well, your case is outstanding. It's the first time I hear something like this.

@Olga464 

If he canceled before check-in and he didn't stay at your place then Airbnb CS should remove his review. Use this fact as the main reason when you contact Airbnb.

@Branka-and-Silvia0  they removed

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Olga464 ,

This case has been escalated immediately for a case manager to review. For future reference or immediate assistance, please contact our support team at +1-415-800-5959 or +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) or by visiting the contact page here: www.airbnb.com/contact as this is not a dedicated Airbnb help channel. The Community Center is a forum for hosts to connect with other hosts or travelers to ask and share advice.

I've also sent you a DM so please feel free to talk with me there, and I will also update you on any additional information I receive from CX.

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie  Thank you, Stephanie. I think, this case really deserves attention.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Stephanie @Olga464 

How ever did this case go as far as it ever has?

An abusive guest books accommodation at short notice unsuitable for the quantity of guests the accommodation is listed for and then after insisting the host is not present in her own home and cancellation by the guest he abuses and terrorises the host for which Airbnb reward the guest by giving a 100% refund ?

Rewarding guests in this way does not support hosts in any way, instead it rewards guests to be expectant and demanding. If this is what Airbnb want to promote, then they're doing a fabulous job. This is not just scandalous, but equally newsworthy.

Can somebody at Airbnb, please, just get real and see whats going on with the hosts they acclaim as Superhosts for ongoing great service and give them some support and credibility ?

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0  I am the co-owner of one of the Oldest Guest Houses in Europe (150 years old). We are placed in the very center of the capital and we come across very intensive last minute booking crowd, as our daily rent sector is more like the emergency help for all rejected guests in the city.

On the other hand, in long term rent sector, we serve embassy workers, so, we are more than any other owners familiar to what settlement protokols and safety of the clients are.

So, I would be very thankful if my case is being used for studies and airnb regulations development, because I've been working with international police and embassy sector for more than 15 years now.

And I very much like airbnb as a platform. More over, the army and embassy budgets are getting cut (some  down to 60% from what it was before)  in europe, so, some of the properties they were able to pay for before are now expensive for them.

That means, that part of that properties should be tranformed into daily rent. So, I study the daily rent sector of rooms for rent for 1 year now, and I am a superhost for the 3-d time during this year.

But I work strictly to airbnb protokols.  

We obviously were wondering during all night what kind of medical paper the client showed to airbnb team during the time his online booking request was on ( from 23:42 till 23:51 , 9th of july 2019).

Because we serve military sector. So, we were thinking of two cases scenarios:

1) The car accident may have happened in our district so they were looking for the quick place to stay somewhere near.

2) The guy was taking some of his friends from hospital after the operation that night, and the patient might be bleeding.

But, I didn't see any medical documents from airbnb yet. This is first.

The second is: the guy didn't tell me anything about medical cases. He just told me: "I don't wanna the owner to be present in the apartment, as I am comming not alone. If it's not possible, give the money back". I answered, that I can take him as 1 person for accomodation, but if there are other people, the other people should look for the other place to stay. And as the strict policy of money return is listed in my ad and all the money I'm getting from  the rent of this articular room are going as a charity to support 150 years old architectural monument, he started to shout at me: "I'm not a sponsor for you here. Give me my 30 bucks back." And he put the phone down. Then he unbooked.

And then continued to call and call again, and send sms asking where the place.

Then he left a very bad review.

And later that day called back to airbnb and asked to remove his bad review.

I got my 30 bucks from airbnb.  After 7 pages of dialog in chat. But as I have been working in attracting foreign investments sector into the country during a long time in governmental sector, for me the dialog about clients safety and money is basically what I did for living. I can chat about it forever.

But, again, as I said, I very much like airbnb platform and I am always more than willing to help airbnb to  check out each second of each single case scenario with the client, to upgreat the regulations, to study the motility of the cient, whatever, as I understand what hard job the property is. 

I very much love property biz, as well as IT biz. So, dear Airbnb team, If anything needed from my end, just ask.

correction, the booking was made and cancelled from 23:42 till 23:51 , 8-th of july 2019 (note for airbnb representatives)