The coded language of a review

Answered!
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

The coded language of a review

I struggle with reviews. I try to be as honest as possible without being unkind. I have noticed that there are a lot of 5 stars out there for guests I would not have given 5 stars to. Digging deeper, there seems to be some common themes and coded language to warn other hosts that there might be issues belying the 5 stars. No one wants to come right out and say that this person was painful to deal with.

For example a recent guest emailed me 20 times or more per day of his stay with questions about very pedantic things. The sink made a gurgling noise. A light bulb in a decorative lamp went out. One remote only has one battery. He counted the light switches and can't figure out what one does. We addressed all of these concerns but it didn't stop until my husband took over communication. He responded immediately to that and the masses of emails halted. On his reviews this guest is described as "extremely communicative." When I write mine, I  would like to add that he "responded well to my husband" and that he may do better with an onsite host (we aren't.) 

Another guest had expectations for kitchenware we could not meet. He let us know our brand new Amazon delivered set was no match for what he expected. His reviews when I looked (too late, he was an early guest and I was still learning) said things like "this guest has a very high standard" and "this guest described himself as a chef and enjoys a restaurant style kitchen." Likewise one guest was very upset we didn't provide a lemon zester in our normal kitchenware (we had to go get one, she was having a literal melt down.)  Nothing in her reviews addressed that specifically but did say "XX has some quirks about what she needs during her stay. Best to communicate with her beforehand."

Another couple booked our place and brought in other overnight guests without paying. She sent us pics of the families standing on our porch. Her ratings from other hosts (all in our area) said things like "this guest likes to visit with family in the area." Or "so and so visited our place to be closer to her family in the area." I would have appreciated a "so and so had her family stay with her." It was obvious when we sent her the charges afterwards for the number of guests that she had done this before.

What have you said about guests in reviews that you meant as a warning to other hosts? Have you come right out with it or somewhat coded your responses?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Assata0 

Most people here will tell you to just call it as it is, and they are right you can't really dress up a rough neighbourhood but Assata, if you want to have a go at it, you could try from one of two way.

If you are a host speaking of your own property in the listing description...

"The neighbourhood has a rather eclectic feel to it!"

I love that word, Eclectic is a great word, it covers a multitude of sins!

"The neighbourhood is possibly a bit left of centre!" 

Meaning all is not what it may seem!

"You will adore the complex mix of society here" 

And if you are speaking as a guest leaving a review.......

"Every neighbourhood has it's character, this one maybe a bit more than most!" 

" Charm and sophistication are something that escaped this part of town" 

And if you want to get your point across a bit more bluntly, how about one of these.

"Your vehicle may be best left in a secure parking station!" 

???????

"A $10 note wouldn't last long on the ground in this neighbourhood!" 

"You would want to keep a tight grip on your purse/wallet in this part of town!"

There should be something there for any scenario!

Cheers.......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

151 Replies 151
Assata0
Level 3
Detroit, MI

Can anyone help me with the code word (phrase) "It's a rough neighborhood"?

Thanking you all in advance.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Assata0 

Most people here will tell you to just call it as it is, and they are right you can't really dress up a rough neighbourhood but Assata, if you want to have a go at it, you could try from one of two way.

If you are a host speaking of your own property in the listing description...

"The neighbourhood has a rather eclectic feel to it!"

I love that word, Eclectic is a great word, it covers a multitude of sins!

"The neighbourhood is possibly a bit left of centre!" 

Meaning all is not what it may seem!

"You will adore the complex mix of society here" 

And if you are speaking as a guest leaving a review.......

"Every neighbourhood has it's character, this one maybe a bit more than most!" 

" Charm and sophistication are something that escaped this part of town" 

And if you want to get your point across a bit more bluntly, how about one of these.

"Your vehicle may be best left in a secure parking station!" 

???????

"A $10 note wouldn't last long on the ground in this neighbourhood!" 

"You would want to keep a tight grip on your purse/wallet in this part of town!"

There should be something there for any scenario!

Cheers.......Rob