The guest is not responding

Answered!
Muslim4
Level 6
Almaty, Kazakhstan

The guest is not responding

The guest isn't responding to my messages. His check-out is tomorrow, we agreed to contact on a previous day (today), so that he can confirm the time. He also told me he would think about extending his reservation and he'll let me know, but he's totally silent today. I wrote him in the Airbnb chat, to his Telegram, WhatsApp, called him a few times, but there is no response from him at all. That's the first time the guest is not responding during more than year of active hosting. Not really sure what to do, we agreed I come over tomorrow by 12 o'clock, however, he also told me he was going to confirm it today. 

Did you have same weird misbehavior? What do you usually do if a guest is silent? Any suggestions? What would you do in my place?

1 Best Answer
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Muslim4,

If a guest is not responding in the Airbnb or app and you called them as well, I would reach out to Airbnb support and let them know if your concern so they can have it on file and you can ask them to contact the guest on your behalf and ask them to confirm the meeting for check out (if this is your policy and what was agreed upon). 

I try to resolve things with the guest but it is always a good idea to loop Airbnb in instead of something happening then the guest gets upset at you because they thought that you bothered them unnecessarily when that wasn’t the case.

I always ask registered to put in their guests name as it is a requirement for Airbnb’s aircover as well as our homeowners policy and people were saying they would and they didn’t. So after messaging them and asking them again and them saying they did it, I called Airbnb and explained the situation and asked them to help me register the guest with their name (they gave it to me in the app messaging but you need it on the reservation) and we found out that the guest did not accept the Airbnb reservation and confirm her profile (that’s why he said it was there but it was not showing the name). Airbnb support helped to call and facilitate the process (upon my request).

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Lorina14
Level 10
Bellevue, WA

@Muslim4,

If a guest is not responding in the Airbnb or app and you called them as well, I would reach out to Airbnb support and let them know if your concern so they can have it on file and you can ask them to contact the guest on your behalf and ask them to confirm the meeting for check out (if this is your policy and what was agreed upon). 

I try to resolve things with the guest but it is always a good idea to loop Airbnb in instead of something happening then the guest gets upset at you because they thought that you bothered them unnecessarily when that wasn’t the case.

I always ask registered to put in their guests name as it is a requirement for Airbnb’s aircover as well as our homeowners policy and people were saying they would and they didn’t. So after messaging them and asking them again and them saying they did it, I called Airbnb and explained the situation and asked them to help me register the guest with their name (they gave it to me in the app messaging but you need it on the reservation) and we found out that the guest did not accept the Airbnb reservation and confirm her profile (that’s why he said it was there but it was not showing the name). Airbnb support helped to call and facilitate the process (upon my request).

Thanks for recommendations!

I've just contacted the Airbnb support, waiting for their response. Since it's the first time I'm experiencing this type of issue, I haven't thought about asking the support to contact my guest.

Yes, I also always ask guests to set their check-out time right when they arrive, if they are unsure we usually agree on contacting each other the day before, but I always insist on letting me know the default time at once, then I just reach out to them to make sure that there are no changes.

It is late night here already, but I hope everything is good and he'll respond tomorrow, or the support team will reach out to him by that time. If there are no updates I think it'll be better for me to come earlier than twelve o'clock.

@Muslim4 

Is there a reason you don’t have a standard check out time of 11am or 12pm? This allows you to clean the space in time for your next guests. Of course, you can always make exceptions for late check outs if your schedule allows it but this way you won’t be in limbo waiting for their response. Also you could put in your scheduled messages sent the day before check out to please let you know the check out time, and any check out instructions (turn off the lights, check drawers and under the beds for your belongings, turn off the heat, put dishes in the sink, put trash in the bins in the unit etc.). You could also ask them to text you if they are leaving early as it will allow you to clean earlier and it’s appreciated. Just some ideas…

The standard check-out interval is between 8am and 12pm. I just make sure if a guest wants to leave earlier than twelve o'clock which is the default check-out time. That always works very well.

The support team couldn't reach out to him. He hasn't responded yet. But I also try calling him now. I'm going to come there. Hope the flat is okay, nothing is damaged/stolen. Should I report the safety issue? Even if the flat is in normal condition, how am I supposed to get the guest keys?

@Muslim4 

Do you have a fee for unreturned keys? This would be the fee to change the locks too. I’ve seen people with high fees if you don’t return the keys. You may want to consider putting a lock box for keys at the entry for your place that has a code that you can change in between guests. In your instructions you should say that the keys should always be left in the lock box at the home. A fee will apply if the keys are not returned. 

You can contact Airbnb support if the guest left and did not leave the keys in the unit or if there is damage or lost items. Take pics and document in the resolution center if this is the case. If not let’s hope the guest is there and their phone died or they lost it.

Thanks for your support, Lorina14! I asked for Airbnb support, but they ignore my requests. Below is the continuation of the story with the guest. 

I came to the property at the default check-out time (12 o'clock) yesterday. What I saw on the door to my flat is that it was sealed by the police. I'll send you the photo. I called to the number they provided, the police officer asked me if I rented the apartment using the contract, I said that I am renting it out through Airbnb. I asked the reason why it was sealed, he says that the person who rented it was selling drugs, so now due to the investigation I can't enter my apartment and they should question me. He said that I should wait for his call, until then I can't access my property. That's all he said.

IMG_5023.JPGIMG_5024.JPGIMG_5025.JPG

So I am waiting for their call now. Not yet received the keys. Hope the apartment is in normal condition, nothing is stolen or broken.

It is very serious situation. I don't know why Airbnb support doesn't respond to my requests, they have just closed the support chat where I sent my request.

**[Image of a private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Lorina14 ! Thank you for the tag🌻.

Hi @Muslim4 , I cannot imagine the amount of frustration and distress this unforeseen situation would have brought to you. I have made a note of all your concerns and shared with the appropriate team. 

I sincerely hope this situation resolves for you soon.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Hello!  

Can you give us hosts some insight ow how best to proceed with a situation like @Muslim4 has experienced? It is fantastic that @Lorina14 reached out to you, on his behalf, as he wasn’t getting support- however, not sure I would have known to do so in this emergency situation.

Thanks kindly. 

I agree with you. It is so frustrating. Very stressful! I couldn't sleep well the next night thinking about it. I had no idea what to do when I reached the flat. Now due to the lack of information also not exactly sure what I better do next.

It's a bit weird there's no date specified on the seal. Where is that person? Will they return the keys I gave him?

I don't have lawyers among my friends, only asked one connection who is a mediator and negotiation expert. He told me not to worry about it. If I find a lawyer what should I ask him? 

@Muslim4 hopefully the police will give you access (or at least a date for access) soon. Are they easy to deal with? I wouldn't bother with a lawyer yet but check out the price for a locksmith to change the key barrel when you are allowed in

Thanks. Hope so too. The police officer told me he needs to question me first, but didn't tell me when, so I'm waiting for his call.

Can I claim for reimbursement even if there are no reservations/requests? If so, which dates should I specify?

I am not suggesting you need an attorney to “prove your  innocence”, however, from personal experience, you need an advocate on your side who is familiar with how the  criminal process in your country works, as you are a victim of this person criminal actions. 

You also  need someone to “move the needle” with the police, so you can restore order in the apartment inside, as well as start documenting any damages. 

I am not familiar with air cover process…wish i could offer more assistance in this manner to you…

I would also caution you, when you speak with the police to not to give them your primary telephone number, get an alternative number…do not give your home address, use the airbnb address, and use a slight modification to your name….as once these go into the records, you create an opportunity for the criminals/ their attorney to gain access to it…and open the door for revenge targeting. ….