Unfair Review - how should I respond?

Answered!
Tom86
Level 1
Edinburgh, GB

Unfair Review - how should I respond?

Hi everyone, 

Looking for some advice, following a pretty bad review from a recent guest... Any advice or support you can offer would be great!

I feel that they have made several comments which in fact are not true and some others bordering on rudeness, which I've taken quite personally. 

My partner and I have a puppy who is left for a maximum of four hours at a time in the kitchen, in between being walked every day by a dog walker. I clearly list the detail that I own a dog and a cat, and state that guests must be ok with animals to stay with us, however, he has stated that our listing is inaccurate (no mention of dog) and that our dog is left all day, every day in the kitchen - this is not true and paints me as a bad owner which I’ve taken very personally. His partner also said bluntly to our dog walker when they met that she did not like dogs.

Prior to every guest staying with us, I personally clean and inspect our home - though the listing is only for use of a private room and two bathrooms. Despite this, the guest left feedback stating that both bathrooms were both unclean on arrival. They also said that the kitchen was "very dirty" and smelly which I find offensive as I cleaned it myself before they arrived.

In their room for their two-day stay, they were given a drawer for storing their items, but chose not to use this and left in their review that they had a lack of storage and had to put their stuff on the ground. I can see that this can be constructive feedback and I will offer more storage to future guests, but they chose to not use any of the space offered to them which I feel is unfair. 

He also left comments on his review about the bed being unusually steep to access, however, it is clear in my listing from photos that you have to climb up wooden ladders to reach the bed on the mezzanine level. 

Finally, and worst of all... He left comments in his review about his interactions with me: "Nazan herself was very friendly and helpful to manage our arrival. Later thought she did not bother to get in contact or have a conversation with us."

I don't even know what to think about this because I spoke with them on multiple occasions, as did my partner, asking them about their plans and giving them recommendations for travel, things to do and places to eat. They came across as very quiet and didn't engage in conversation with me much, so I was conscious that they might have wanted to be left alone. As well as this, I state the following in my listing: "I am happy to give you as much information and interaction as you need. However, you'll have your own set of keys to come and go as you please and privacy in your own private room."

I'm particularly disappointed with this review, more so because my partner and I were both woken several times around at 3am due to them checking out at 4am, which they had not communicated to us prior to their stay. They also left food out in the kitchen and dirty towels on the sink in the bathroom and didn't hang them to dry. I did not complain about this at all, but wish I had been more honest in their review as a host, on reflection.

Any support you can give would be fantastic.

Thanks all!

Nazan

1 Best Answer

@Michael360 I read their review and I'd be upset too - they really seemed to like your place and your pets, so the comment "Also, probably because of the pets, there is some slight smell and flies in the house", seems to come out of nowhere. And who doesn't have some flies get in their house from time to time? That has nothing to do with having pets, .... and they likely let them in when they came in. If you do decide to respond, wait a few days so you can calm down and then make it very professional. Were they bad enough that you wouldn't wish them on other hosts? If so, I like the "their travel needs may be better met by a hotel" line, code for "Trust me, you don't want these guests in your place".  Or don't respond - why sink to their level? Your other reviews are all really great, so others will see these guests for what they were & it shouldn't lose you any bookings because of it, IMO. Your listings look great.

View Best Answer in original post

30 Replies 30
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I read the review, and don't think you will have any luck in having it removed as it is a subjective experience. You do have the chance to leave a reply, but be careful of not sounding defensive, making it worse. Craft it well and ask on the forum for advice before making it live if you like!

This is great advice, but where on the Airbnb site can we post a response to such unfair and inaccurate reviews. Airbnb seems to have removed our opportunity to respond to such reviews. I have sent them a feedback message about this, but don't know if that will have any effect.

Randy20
Level 1
Springfield, IL

My guess is that these people would not be satisfied anywhere. The sound like they are sloppy in making reservations, then upset when they find something they don't like. Then they blame you. Frankly, they sound psycho.
You should take a deep breath, and chalk it up to experience. You should address their complaints with a response on your host site. If you gave them a favorable review before you read their slander, maybe you can respond to it and strongly recommend that other hosts watch out before agreeing to host these bozos.

I love the advice you gave this lady in spirit. There have been a couple of times I would like to do this, but restrained myself. I'm wishing that Airbnb would restore the opportunity we once had to respond.

Jean352
Level 1
Dumbarton, United Kingdom

I just had a bad review I am so mad. They could have come to me said my house was dusty and towels not fresh etc clean towels and bedding for every guest that stays rooms pulled out and cleaned. They thanked me for everything - then slated me I feel like not doing it any more i so mad.They won't say anything to your face so mad.

Unfortunately, guests have that power. I've been doing this for more than 2 1/2 years and I can't tell you how often I get such a mean-minded guest. Some people just feel they have to find things to complain about, even when none exist! And we as hosts really have no recourse unless we can offer concrete proof -- and even then, their review stands. As Kika suggests, write a well-worded reply, killing him with kindness. You are better than he is.  Don't let him win by causing you to quit. Keep up the good fight!

Kika1
Level 8
Kloten, Switzerland

ah, write a good reply and dont sweat it. the guy is full of himself. just looking at his profile!! 

Fab2
Level 4
Mākaha, HI

Aloha Nazan,

I just read the review and looked at your photos. I personally don't think the review is all that negative, actually, keeping in mind that his English would make it hard to understand what he exactly means. The star review would however be more troublesome to me, especially if I go out of my way to be a great host, as you seem to be doing per your previous reviews. Being a host isn't easy but you seem to be doing a great job overall so I wouldn't take such reviews too much to heart if I were you. 

Politely respond to his review by addressing what he has brought up and you will have cleared things up for future guests. In your description, add that you are continuously improving your home to better host guests and do reference the puppy's training as something in-progress. You may want to add pictures of the bathroom guests will use to counter his review also.

As someone particular with cleanliness especially with animals in a home, I could not make out anything dirty in your pictures and, again, did not feel that the review was all that bad. So you couldn't be very interactive at a later time? You have a life and the fact that you may not be available for chit-chat isn't something I'd sweat as a potential guest. 

All the best! 

Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

@Tom86 when you have a not so good review or rating, you know you are not a newbie host anymore. 🙂 

I mean that the more guests you host, the more possibilities you have to face a feedback from persons who are not so fair or have the habit of searching for problems and deficiencies. I also have faced some similar cases. Please, don't take it personally. 

What can you do? 

First, you can write a good and polite reply as @Sandra126 already said, explaining that you mention about the dog, that you take care of the cleanliness of the house and that you always are willing to communicate with your guests during their stay. 

I believe that a good answer is sometimes more effective than a good review. But I suggest that you stay polite, reply only to what he mentions and maybe starting with "thank you for your review".

Second, make a review at your listing to see what you can improve at your detailed description so that guests have a better image of your house and the kind of hosting.  

Use the photo labels to mention important messages that you want them to know, because people sometimes watch more the photos than they read the text. If you have a dog, put a picture of your dog, maybe.

Third, just keep having more and more guests! That's the best way to overcome bad reviews and ratings and have great experiences! 

I wish you good luck to everything! By the way, your listing looks very cute! 

Ella18
Level 3
Hendersonville, NC

This is great advice. I have just had a similar problem and will try to follow some of your suggestions myself.

It takes several 5 star reviews to overcome one negative review. It is not a fair system.

Tom86
Level 1
Edinburgh, GB

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. It's been very helpful! The community is a great support tool 🙂

Hi Nazan,

It sounds like we've all had that kind of guest -- who, due to their own hang-ups -- won't be satisfied with anything. I've had one this past week, and it's very hard not to take it personally -- especially when you've gone out of your way to make their visit pleasant. I've benefitted now from reading the responses to my similar problem. Thank you.

Ella

Michael360
Level 2
Virginia, United States

Hello! I am a fairly new host and I am having to deal with a review that wasn't bad but wasn't favorable either. I put a lot of effort into my home and the spaces I provide for my guest. I also paid myself to have a car pick these boys up as their Mother was sending them from China to tour UPenn college. I then provided them with extensive information to help them navigate the city. They still left a review that , to me was a bit nitpicky. I am going to leave a response but I am waiting until I am not angry about it to respond. I really believe that a lot of people don't read anything about the listing. I have had several people show up and be surprised there is a dog here, so I put her picture in the photos so now they should definately know. Thanks for your post, I've been fuming all day!