Unregistered day and night guests

Anja1072
Level 2
Lorette, Canada

Unregistered day and night guests

Hi, this is our first year hosting and we are learning on the go here. Currently we have a family staying with us for a week. They registered 6 guests. Our security cameras recorded 3 additional guest arriving in the morning. Two visitors left in the evening and one stayed behind. Of course they had a party and used all the amenities of the listing (kayaks,hot tub,…). I am unsure what to do here. Contact the guest and asked for all additional guest to leave or pay extra? Of course I am worried about a bad review. Or just leave it and hope for the best? Just as info, the listing can accommodate up to 8 guests but we charge an additional fee of $25/day for guest 7 and 8. Any advise would be appreciated. Thx Anja 

10 Replies 10
Anne-And-Bill1
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

Following, as we have had a very similar situation.   Wishing you resolution @Anja1072 

Anja1072
Level 2
Lorette, Canada

So I contacted Airbnb for advise, and currently wait for a response. How long is this going to take for them to reply. I can’t wait until the guest has left. 

Michelle53
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Anja1072  There are a few things to weigh up here.

Firstly, do your house rules specify that there is an additional charge per guest after 6, or whether you allow day visitors ?  Many folks don't read all the information, so it often helps to let people know things like that via messaging before they arrive e.g. in a welcome message.   If you have instant book turned off, you can say something like "reservation is approved for x guests. Additional guests may be added for $y per person, to a maximum of z guests. Day visitors are included in the guest count". Using some cheerful language.

Day visitors are going to use your amenities, so it's up to you if you want to allow that or not, or state that day visitors will be charged as overnighters. 

Once they are already checked in, if you are a new host, you might want to consider that you are trying to build your ratings and feedback, and sometimes it pays to let things go, at first, and chalk it up to experience. 

Technically speaking, you are within your rights to request the extra funds from the guest, using the resolution center. I've done that before, and, for most people, they've been fine with settling up the difference and apologizing for their mistake. That isn't always going to happen, though.  I've had people ignore me completely, and then you have to decide if it's worth chasing the extra, or not.  Very often, these folks will leave no review or a not-great review.

You also have to decide how to review these guests to let other hosts know they brought additional guests.

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

.@Anja1072 I had a similar situation recently. The guest booked for 6… but 8 showed up. We charge an additional $50 per per/per night after 6 persons…  I was tempted to let it go….but why have rules if we aren't going to attempt to enforce them? I sent the guest the following message. "Your reservation notes 6 persons.  Perhaps you forgot to mention 2 additional persons. If that is the case there is an additional cost per person per night - above 6- as per our Airbnb listing and lease agreement."

He said it was a last minute addition and an oversight. I sent an alteration request for the additional funds. When it wasn't promptly paid, I contacted Airbnb. When I hung up, it was paid.  

BTW, he left no review… I waited until the last day and reviewed him… pointing out the issue of the extra guests.

I agree!  This whole mentality of fear that if we enforce the stated house rules we'll get a bad review is silly, and, most of the time, comes at a bigger cost to us than a bad review.  

Glenny3
Level 2
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

One if My current guests is on tinder and thought it would be appropriate to bring someone back to my home.  Fortunately when he mentioned tinder I preempted that he was not to bring anyone back.  He got very pissed with me and said ‘but I’ve paid for this’.  I did not give in.  This is my home… he is renting a room… the booking is for him only.  I don’t want random people he met on tinder coming here.   I won’t be giving him a good review and I don’t care if he gives me a negative review.  He’s been smoking in the room… never locks the shared bathroom door when peeing or showering…  he’s a nightmare and I can’t wait for him to leave.  Giving good reviews when there has been problems is so unfair to other hosts.  This guy has five positive reviews. To be fair four are from hosts offering the whole property.  

I don’t want extra money.  

@Glenny3  I'd be kicking him out now. Don't wait until the end. Contact AirBNB and inform them he has broken numerous House Rules, is verbally abusive and you no longer feel safe hosting him.  You want him out now with no refund.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Be careful how you proceed. 

If you get Airbnb involved in such things, the non-financial costs to the host can be aggravating and painful. Always better to work it out diplomatically with the guest. And if not, consider if the additional risk of Airbnb reprisals for "unfair" treatment of offending guests is really worth it. Airbnb will usually rule in favour of the guest. And in some cases, even suspend your account or demote your status in some way. Even if the guest is irrefutably guilty. 

Yet, guests don't always realise that Airbnb isn't actually on your side, so you can often get away with pointing out to the guest that if Airbnb finds out, it could be quite unpleasant for them, and you really don't want to do that to such nice guests ... unless they choose to continue 🤨.

That way, they tend not to leave retaliatory reviews. In fact, can sometimes go overboard saying how great everything was. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Anja1072  At my listing I consider everyone an additional Guest regardless if they are spending a few hours or a night. My listing states so. 

I see nothing wrong with you politely bringing up to the guest that they had somebody visiting and that you charge per person so they need to pay up and send them the money request. If anything, it will make them more alert to your house rules and respectful. I do not see why they would leave you a bad review for this.

By the way, the most difficult guests sometimes will leave you a glowing review and seemingly perfect stay can turn into a list of complaints. You just don’t know and you cannot be held hostage to a fear of a bad review.

going through Airbnb might in fact make things worse as the guest might be perfectly willing to pay and feel like you should’ve gone to them first.

I'm not entirely sure if my situation is the same, but I had someone book the room (female), then I find out that person was not the person staying in the room. The person staying was male, and sketchy looking. She stayed in their camper on my street,  but came in to use the bathroom. I also have a no smoking (of any kind) on premises in my ad. My adult son caught him smoking on my property. When I cleaned the room, there was dry tobacco on the chair, black burnt tobacco headboard and air-conditioner. I spoke to the female and she kept saying, he was her friend and that the room or something was too small for her. They arrived at midnight and I have self check-in.