Unresponsive Guest After Booking

Unresponsive Guest After Booking

Hello everyone,

I am curious about how other hosts handle guests who do not respond to their messages. I have read a few conversations on here about trying to call/text the number that the guest has on their profile to ask them to check their messages, but what do you do if they don't respond after that?

I have one particular guest that I have sent a few messages to and am already a little uncomfortable but want to try to move forward. Does anyone cancel the guests who never respond?

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alicia787  A couple of times I wasn't getting any response from a guest, I contacted customer service and they made contact and then the guests messaged back. Turned out those guests weren't just ignoring my messages- one was camping and had no cell or internet, one was at a retreat where they weren't allowed to use devices.

A guest not responding to messages when they already have a confirmed booking isn't a valid reason to cancel. If neither you nor Airbnb can make contact with them, you just have to assume they will show up.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Alicia787  Don't cancel, that will incur penalties.

If I haven't heard from a guest after 2 messages I send a 3rd message that says we need XXX from them to ensure they can get access to the property for check-in.  This almost always results in a response.  If it doesn't then we text the number listed on the profile and mention the airbnb messages.  I've  never not gotten a response this way, but if by this step, still no response, I would contact airbnb and say  you can't reach the guests.

Flavia202
Level 10
Kingston, Jamaica

Happened to me .@Alicia787 and I asked airbnb for help to reach out to the guest who contacted me by phone apx a day later, after which I/we resumed communications via the airbnb app.  Things worked out ok.

Hope it works our for you too but even if airbnb is not successful in making contact with the guests for you, play it by ear and wait and see. Your guests might turn up so don't get penalized by cancelling. If they're a no-show you would still collect the payout; although you would have to decide whether you're ok with that or would you refund.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Alicia787 This happens to me more often than not. Once the guest books, I typically do not get another word of communication from them until the day of arrival; many times after they have arrived. Do you have specific questions that they have not responded to? Is the check-in day still a ways out? 

Many times I find that the guest has no clue you are messaging them. They open the app to make the booking and then don't open the app again until they need to figure out how to check-in.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Alicia787 agree its more common to hear nothing after first message when booking. On my first couple of bookings I put in there to respond so I would know they got the check in instructions but they all get it. Some guest will be much better communicators and let them know you are very responsive, and feel free to reach out anytime. More often a good many will let you know the place looks great, so they want to limit communication until they are satisfied the place is accurate.  

Wanted to add it can be an advantage to have limited communication. One recent guest was in town with her dad for procedure at local hospital. I offered them use of the pull out sleeper at no extra charge, and provided extra bedding. I got five star review but marked down to 4 on value, and guest didn't check outstanding hospitality. You get kind of used to it. I would rather not encourage more communication than making sure the listing is accurate and functioning. Its their job to read the listing, house rules, and messages for check in instructions.  

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

I always ask guests for an email address to receive house instructions and a rental agreement. I had one guest not respond. Had Airbnb contact them. Still no response. Was able to cancel stay without penalty. 

Lorissa0
Level 7
Denver, CO

Yes I have cancelled a guest for being unresponsive. I messaged her numerous times about needing more information, etc- and each time gave a clear requested deadline for reply. After 2-3 weeks of zero replies I canceled. The very next day she replied and said she hadn't seen my earlier messages and ended up re-booking. An unresponsive guest is rightfully worrisome.

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

@Alicia787 :  When we initially confirm a booking, we state that there will be a message sent 2-3 days prior to the guest's arrival.  If the guest is new to Airbnb or has made a last minute reservation, we explain that we will be in communication frequently, so they should check their app regularly.

No matter the situation, a pre-arrival message is sent to confirm the details of the stay and ask any final questions we need to know in preparation for the visit a few days ahead of time.  Should the client not respond by the day prior the visit, we send a reminder message/text explaining that we won't be able to proceed with the check-in information until we receive a response for the previous message.  This normally results in a prompt, apologetic communication from the guest!

Anthony223
Level 10
Portugal

@Alicia787 

Hi Alicia.  I fully sympathise with your frustrations.  I like to liaise with my guests before they arrive.  Sometimes it's necessary to send a text message to ask the guest to read my message(s).

Do you always get the guests cell numbers?