Answered!
Angie647
Level 2
Port Macquarie, Australia

Upcoming Guest

Hello all,

Just want your opinion.

I have the below on my listing:

''PLEASE NOTE- If you are booking for up to 2 guests as in you are a couple, the KING bed will be made up for you & second bedroom is closed off.

If you are booking for 2 guests & requiring 2 separate beds to be made up, a $50 fee applies due to extra bedding laundry fees.
As this platform does not have this particular add on feature, we will send you a ''request money'' 48 hrs after your confirmed booking''

The above '' '' is in 3 places on my listing, it is on the pre-booking message, the content of the listing as well as with the photo of the queen room. 

Now the guest has responded to 2 separate rooms required but have not responded to accepted the $50 request.

I have request via airbnb message numerous times, nada, nil, no response.

I contacted airbnb support & they tried to contact her to respond but so far no response.

Should I involve Air bnb to resolute the $50 payment or should I cancel their reservation & all the consequences that comes with it.

I am currently a superhost & have been since day 1.

The reservation is still 8 days away.

This is the first time I have cancelled anyone if I do cancel.

Also the first time the guests have not responded to the $50 extra payment.

All previous guests have had no issue & happy to pay for the extra bedroom.

Just uncomfortable with no responses.

Am I being a drama queen?

The hosts have had 5 good reviews.

Many thanks & I look forward replies other hosts.

Regards,

Angie

1 Best Answer
Angie647
Level 2

No, I don't have instant book on.

My fault, I need to correct the 1 & 2 bedroom situation but v difficult to do as I only want $50 extra per stay not per night.

Thanks for your steps again, will tackle this tomm, fresh.

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angie647 I would set the listing up correctly. You need two listings - one with 1 bedroom and 1 with 2 bedrooms. Then link the calendars to prevent double bookings

Thank you for your time & response, much appreciated.

I tried many times setting 1 & 2 bedrooms but really confusing, it nearly did my head in so that is why I put the writing of the extra $50 in the listing.

What is the best way to do this?

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angie647 

step 1 Duplicate your listing

step 2 change the name of the new listing

step 3 check everything on the new listing to make sure all the cancellation policies etc are correct

step 4 add a 2nd bedroom to the new listing and adjust the pricing accordingly. Remove all references to 2nd bedroom on the first listing

step 5 Link the calendars of the two listings

step 6 go into your account and switch on pro tools so you can see the calendars of both listings at the

same time

step 7 Hope everything works as you want it to

step 8 Put a door lock on the second bedroom so you can lock it when the first listing is booked

Thank you so much for your step by step.

I will sit down with my partner & do this properly for once & for all..

You are awesome, thanks again.

Just fixed it with the thanks of your steps. What a relief!

Thanks so much again : )

@Angie647  Just last week there was a bit of debate here about this very topic: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Question-on-bedroom-use/td-p/1630426

Even though you've covered your bases by being explicit about the second bedroom issue in your listing, this setup does put you in a predicament when the guest fails to pay the fee. Airbnb might grant you a penalty-free cancellation based on the guests being unresponsive, but you'd still stand to lose income if you don't get fully rebooked. You could make up the second room and tell the guests that you'll unlock it as soon as they pay the $50, but they'll hit you back with a retaliatory review. Either way, you stand to lose more than the cost of a bag of laundry if you stick to your guns on this one.

It would be great if Airbnb let you build per-bedroom charges into the booking process. But since they don't, the only way to avoid this mess is to have two separate listings - a 1-bedroom, and a 2-bedroom - and link the calendars.

Angie647
Level 2

Thank you for your link.

I will do it as 2 separate listings.

But due to the fact I have not had prob before, it is just this guest trying to be smart.

I will cancel her & wear the consequence. I do not want anyone like this in our Airbnb.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Angie647 if you have Instant Book enabled you should be able to cancel 3 times a year with no consequences. Might be worth calling Airbnb to cancel to confirm it won't penalise you.

Angie647
Level 2

No, I don't have instant book on.

My fault, I need to correct the 1 & 2 bedroom situation but v difficult to do as I only want $50 extra per stay not per night.

Thanks for your steps again, will tackle this tomm, fresh.

@Angie647  You can make the $50 a flat per-stay charge by adding it to the Cleaning Fee on the 2-bedroom listing instead of changing the nightly rate.

Angie647
Level 2

Hi Andrew,

Genius, why didn't I think of this, totally had a block, wow, just takes fresh eyes, thanks for your input.

It is all sorted now : )

Angie647
Level 2

Hi Andrew,

Genius, why didn't I think of this, totally had a block, wow, just takes fresh eyes, thanks for your input.

It is all sorted now : )