WWYD: odd? guest claims he didn't understand that place to yourself didn't mean the entire building

Answered!
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

WWYD: odd? guest claims he didn't understand that place to yourself didn't mean the entire building

Hold on tight or get off now,    this one is an odd twister:

I am unsure what to think of the verbose correspondence I have received from a recent instant book (IBed yesterday).

Luke (name changed) began with a longish accompanying his IB,  about how he had read everything,   loved the place,  project (I don’t think 90% of our guests even get to that part),   etc -- and would like to help us any way he can.   

After sending a short follow-up,   as I was settling into a nice chair overlooking the Ionian Sea,   I received the below (guest messages in italics,   WHY OH WHY CAN'T WE HAVE A QUOTE FUNCTION HERE?)

Note the “it may be that I cannot stay there,  but help in another way.”  This seems to me kind of odd.  (We do occasionally get people offering to exchange work for housing,  which is not in any way really wanted;  however,  a little Googling shows that this person is claiming to be an engineer with a $108K/year university salary;   the misspellings are also concerning …)

The parts about “if other people are there” are a tad concerning as well.

I’ve reviewed our listing and think it clearly says it’s a second floor flat,  NO STOVE.   Other than a few multi-million dollar properties,  I’m not sure there are any single-family structures within nearly a mile of our location at the edge of UChicago.   Much less for the price,  which is about 1/3 what we’d charge without Covid.

I could be wrong,   but none of the 5 guests we’ve had since Covid,  appear to have misunderstood anything but “second floor flat.”

I know where I’m tending on this one at this point,  especially given some of the tone,   but is there anyone who would try to rescue this reservation?  Thoughts?

LUKE

Hi, again, Kenneth,

I did not see the part about not stove’. Hmmm. The rest is very ok. Both myself and Betty planned to shop and cook. I am not sure what to say about this - for this $800+, no stove or cooking ability is a big difference, especially because we rarely eat out, and love fresh markets & cooking. Let me think about this a bit - I appreciate your honesty. Wow, such a great place - hope I can think of something...thanks again for this clarification that I missed - ‘you will have entire home’ - I really will read everything carefully again. I will get back in touch. - Luke [name changed]

ME:
Hi again Luke,

Yes, -- we removed the "stove" option from the listing when Covid began,  and added the parts about access to  NO STOVE only microwave and minifridge   We had been letting guests in the upstairs unit go downstairs to use the stove in the downstairs unit prior to Covid,  as well as use the stove there.

We've been meaning to add an era-appropriate gas stove upstairs for some time, but it hasn't happened yet. Let me look around and see if there is some kind of solution that we could work, that might work as a "work-around."
Thanks, Ken

UPDATE: keeping things simpler, I'm wondering how much cooking equipment would be needed? Perhaps something like the following would work, if the link goes through?
[link to $350 flat,  child-safe countertop cooking burner unit on Amazon]

LUKE:
Hi, Kenneth - thanks for the effort. I re-read everything carefully; I figured that ‘entire home’ during COVID meant 1st & 2nd floor, it is hard to follow the description now as I try to differentiate what is on 1st and what is on 2nd and what we have access to. I figured we would care for everything carefully. Now, I still can’t tell if we are there alone or not.

Yes, I do read carefully, and I figured I’d ask if we were alone - yet, that one line about ‘No Stove’ seemed not important since you said there is a complete kitchenette available - I thought that meant a kitchen. Yes, of course I can hook up gas appliances, very easily. However, I am moving with all of my things, and planning to look around Chicago for a place to live and relax with my friend. I am afraid there is a misunderstanding. Again, I need time to super-review now - I don’t know why I cannot differentiate if other people are there or not, it’s just not clear who is where. Please give me today to re-evaluate - it is not personal, normally Betty and I would 100% support a work in progress and helping out, yet we are trying to understand why we misunderstood this. It might be that we cannot stay there, but can help in another way. I am sorry I am working right now...let me get back to you about your proposal and my thoughts. I am very surprised at this - it’s a long drive time arrive to no cooking possible. In some cases, ok, but not this trip with my friend. I also expected the ‘do the dishes’ advice meant you had dishes, pots, pans, silverware. This might not be a great fit, but I don’t want to lose touch. Thank you for your consideration. The ‘Super-Host’ part was important to me, too - I did not expect these misunderstandings so soon. Yet, let me think. Thank you. With kind regards, Luke

ME:
Hi Luke: quick reply: "entire place to yourself" in Airbnb means a place to yourself, House, Apartment, Yurt, etc.

As you many know, buildings in Chicago are typically divided into units, in our neighborhood, often 2-flats (upstairs and down).

In this case, the building has two separate units, upstairs and downstairs.

As is also typical in Chicago, they share a basement laundry, entry, back stairwell, etc. (There's also some refrigerator space at the bottom of the rear stairwell).

(Note, there is a large amenities section in Airbnb listings, which also outlines what items a listing offers).

LUKE

19:03

I know these things, Kenneth

19:09

I understand your explanations more now. Your writing honestly implies some type of access to 1st floor things, so that is very confusing - and that is why my initial question if otherwise are there. Plus, much of the write-up is about pre-COVID, so it’s definitely hard to put all together. Normally, I ALWAYS contact the host before booking, but when you said the whole place was available, I assumed 1st floor access & kitchenette, thinking you were scaling back. No problem! Except the stove thing is tough. I use my kitchen. So, thanks for redefining everything - it was not necessary to inform me of AirBnB definitions. This is my fault for making assumptions by piecing together your pre-COVID and post-COVID comments with those additional things you didn’t want to write, and reaching wrong conclusions.

Again, I will get back to you later. Thanks again for the effort. It is 10:10 am here in Seattle. I will be in touch. Luke

...if other people are there...

Note the immediately preceding message is not edited except to replace the name with 'Luke'.  It literally ends with a one-line,   "... if other people are there..."

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Agree. I think the listing is misleading. Though the guest seems like a piece of work, I can understand why the expectation was set. 

I would simply say "I am sorry if you misunderstood what was included in the listing. We don't have any other arrangements we can make. If you like, I will be happy to call Airbnb and see if we can connect you with a different accommodation in the area that meets your needs. We want all of our guests to be thrilled, and if you aren't, I am happy to help find you something more suitable for the remainder of your stay."

I will say that is shocks me how many people want to cook when they travel and want you to have a full-on gourmet kitchen for their needs with every gadget, type of pan, etc. Even pre-COVID people would ask us for things like a cake stand mixer, food processor, oven with a proving drawer, etc. Its just gotten worse now that there is a lot of fear about restaurants. For hosts with kitchens I think this is something to be aware of. 

View Best Answer in original post

33 Replies 33
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry your reference to flats in London is not correct.  We do list a flat in a block in a London apartment (or elsewhere) as a flat or apartment.

When I hosted a flat in a converted Victorian former house, I listed in as a flat/apartment not as a house as that's what it is.

And yes I have a terraced house, which is attached with a house either side and I list it as a house. Is that your sort of set up?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Agree. I think the listing is misleading. Though the guest seems like a piece of work, I can understand why the expectation was set. 

I would simply say "I am sorry if you misunderstood what was included in the listing. We don't have any other arrangements we can make. If you like, I will be happy to call Airbnb and see if we can connect you with a different accommodation in the area that meets your needs. We want all of our guests to be thrilled, and if you aren't, I am happy to help find you something more suitable for the remainder of your stay."

I will say that is shocks me how many people want to cook when they travel and want you to have a full-on gourmet kitchen for their needs with every gadget, type of pan, etc. Even pre-COVID people would ask us for things like a cake stand mixer, food processor, oven with a proving drawer, etc. Its just gotten worse now that there is a lot of fear about restaurants. For hosts with kitchens I think this is something to be aware of. 

@Laura2592 I have been thinking the same thing recently. I understand that places with kitchens are popular as some people are still uneasy about restaurants during COVID. But I don't know why someone would book for 2 nights and make gourmet meals for every meal. That seems like a huge headache in an unfamiliar kitchen. I might bring with me a pack of bagels or a loaf of bread but it seems like my guests are making eggs benedict and all while using every single pot and pan in the kitchen!

@Emilia42  right?? The last few guests have used all of the mixing bowls, one took a rolling pin (and one left one for us because of the lack of a rolling pin), asked if we had certain size pans for "proper sauteing", complained that we didn't have a carving set (we have a regular knife block) or a "roasting pan for a turkey" and consistently now ALL pots and pans are dirty. I am about to buy a new set on Amazon because they are starting to get un-scourable. We have a full kitchen and we use it when we spend weekends at our place. Its perfectly adequate for basic meals. Julia Child would not feel comfortable in our kitchen, surely and many of our guests these days are really trying to channel her. I admit, I don't get it. Maybe hosts with really nice kitchens should start advertising that and charging extra. 

@Emilia42 I'm also dealing with this more now than ever before. I have been hosting for 3 years, and in previous summers, very few guests ever cooked anything. The odd person might reheat something in the oven or use the toaster. This year, even if the stay is only one night, people are cooking - making full and sometimes elaborate meals. I go down to find every pot in the bus bin.

I don't get it: my kitchen isn't a place to cook, and I actually say that in my listing. It's fine for reheating or making a simple snack. It has small appliances and they're all electric. It has minimal counter space. There's no garlic press or zester. Nigella would run away in despair. 

@Alexandra316 Yeah it seems strange to me. I expect people to utilize a kitchen if staying somewhere for a week. But cooking that much during a "weekend getaway" would ruin my vacation.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Alexandra316 @Laura2592  Maybe this new excess cooking is because guests are not comfortable eating out in the present climate?

@Helen350  I think that is part of it. The emphasis on gourmet and complex meals is perplexing.  Throw some soup on the stove or a pizza in the oven, make eggs for breakfast, toss a salad with a bunch of produce, sure. But full on baking (on a very hot humid day) and roasting a turkey? That seems just....strange.

@Helen350 

Yes, that is definitely it. But why not something quick and easy like sandwiches, bagels, cereal, or a microwavable burrito? Why are they mixing, sauteing, and baking these elaborate meals for 1 or 2 nights? After all, they are not familiar with the kitchen, and making something elaborate would take extra effort and can be frustrating. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Laura2592 @Emilia42 @Alexandra316  I don't find anything the least bit odd about guests wanting to cook full meals while on holiday. I wouldn't want to, but I don't enjoy cooking at all. However, there are many people who love to cook- they don't consider it any kind of chore, and they might even appreciate that they have more time to cook on holiday than they do at home, where jobs and general everyday living takes up a lot of time.

And if they are into eating really healthy meals, they may not have that option anywhere near the listing, nor would sandwiches suffice.

When my daughter and son-in-law came to visit, he even travels with his own knives because cooking is his "thing".

Guests have full use of my kitchen, and while the majority of my guests don't make elaborate meals, I've definitely had a few who do.

@Sarah977 I don't find it odd so much as impractical. I don't have a good kitchen: it's actually pretty bad. If you want to make some toast? Amazing! I have everything. Blender drink? Ditto. It may even stretch to some fish fingers and oven chips. 

Three course roast meal with all the trimmings? Nopey nope nope, and that's super clear from my pics and description. I just don't understand why people would want to subject themselves to that. 

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

FWIW,   here's how Mr. Luke followed up (note,  I deleted his reference to the "Bariani Bros." in an early message-- evidently they are famous,  he knows their sister,  cousin or great-grandaughter,    and I should have Googled or should Google who they are:

LUKE

Hello, Kenneth,
Thank you for your communication. Yesterday, I was out and typing on my phone. I had the evening and this morning to read your ideas more closely, and consider everything. I think our conversation is definitely going in a positive direction.
Whatever solution we decide, I'd like to not force you into something that is costing you money, or that won't be part of your long-term plan. It seems like the Amazon Radiant Burners are a pretty good idea. I am trying to look closer at the pictures to try to estimate 'where' you/we could place that where it can be plugged in, safe, and near a counter so that you could have a 'food working space' right new to it, like for placing dishes and cooking utensils while you are using the burner. You definitely know the place, angles best. I think this idea is more than fine. If you went all the way into committing to a gas stove of some type, then yes, I'd be glad to help you. I know that's a big investment, because it's large, it needs to fit into the long-term plan, which you might not know, yet. So, I feel like I 'get it'.

I originally had not seen your references to those US Work Schools in the original write-up. You are right, I am pretty thorough, but I also sometimes miss things, and like I said, make more positive assumptions when I should just ask. I felt a little stressed about my decision yesterday to commit, because it put me a little on the defensive, but I do know better. I think you are a SUPER HOST and I have a pretty good reputation as a GUEST because we've both worked through a few of these types of things before, right? I was thinking about that yesterday, that my good record came at a cost of working through some harder things that I'd forgotten about. Yet, we worked through them, and I am glad I did. So, I'd like to do that again with you! So, let's figure it out 😉 Apologize if I came across short yesterday - I appreciate your communication so much.

Mt. Etna, Sicily. What a great place to read about. You've already given me some wonderful references to look into. Betty and I feel really lucky we found this place. Did you have a chance to look up the Bariani Bros? I have a feeling you already know who they are? Let's keep in touch - we've got some time to figure this out. We definitely want to cook, but can definitely scale it back to make this work out. Again, big thanks. Write to you again soon - Cheers, Luke
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Kenneth12 an Oprah-ism comes to mind... "when LUKE shows you who he is, believe him" or however it goes...

runnnnnnnnnnn

@Kelly149 :  oh my oh my oh my oh my....

The guy who this ABB account is claiming to be,  has a university email account and I suppose I should email it to ask if it's really the person.   

If it is...  I've had a bunch of people come through over the years (I've been ABBing for a decade,  after all) who needed help,   and this guy probably needs help.   But that's not the job of an ABB host,  and I really can't help this one,   this time.

@Kenneth12  Luke wants to help you, though. 😜