Water damages

Valerie696
Level 2
California City, CA

Water damages

Hello!

A disaster!  I am hosting a family of 6 in my own house ( I keep the master to myself but they have full access to the rest of the house).

They texted me a morning stating they had woken up to a flooded bathroom : the toilet on the first floor had overflown during the night, and flooded the den downstairs, through the ceiling.  They had to turn off the toilet water inlet to stop the leak...  The story did not make much sense to us, and a plumber sent right away to the premises confirmed he could not find anything wrong with the toilet.  He could not come up either with a scenario where a toilet would have flooded a whole bathroom and ceiling...  His guess (and ours) was that the bathtub was left to overflow.

The water damage mitigation expert we had over is drafting an estimate for the repairs: open ceiling, cut off drywall to extract the wet insulation material, blow hot air to dry the structure.  Then of course, new insulation, new dry wall, texture, painting, new baseboards...

How do I diplomatically tell the guest her story doesn't add-up?

How do I turn this matter to aircover?

Never a dull moment being a host!!...

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Valerie696 I realise it is a bit late but do tubs in America not have overflows that take the water away safely? If not then perhaps add one whilst renovating.

🤣Thank you for your feedback!

Our tub has an overflow outlet, but it is no match for the volume of water coming out of an open spout...

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

twice within a month, the tank of two Toto toilets developed cracks and flooded. This may not be your issue but it caused a lot of damage. Renters were present each time.
Toto sent us 4 tanks to replace. I will use America Standard in the future.

I advise everyone who has Toto toilets to keep an eye on the tanks. This was not started where there is  a bolt but in the upper corners.