What does "no smoking" mean???

Answered!
Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

What does "no smoking" mean???

So, I'm left wondering... when I listed my property and check "no smoking" - that meant to me, that there was to be no smoking, inside or out.  But as I read the forums, many interpret it to mean no smoking indoors only.  

I just had a guest chain smoke on the patio - and I feel he didn't follow the house rules.  But maybe I'm alone in this thinking?

1 Best Answer
Natasha3
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

My listing says "No smoking anywhere on the property" but in my house manual I specify Not in the hallway, not on the porch, not by the window. 

Some people willingly on unwillingly interpret "property" the way it suits them, so it's better to specify to avoid unnecessary confrontation. Our house layout is such that the porch is right below my windows so all that smoke and stench gets inside.

View Best Answer in original post

73 Replies 73

@Aurora79  I am sorry for your condition but it has nothing to do with second hand smoking, don't believe everything you are told. I don't say smoking is healthy but it is not nearly as dangerous as it is presented in US, it's heavy brainwashing resulting in unrealistic, smoke paranoia.

I found a few US magazines from 60-es where the brainwashing was the opposite - like " Your doctor would recommend Camel" 😄

I grew up in a household with 2 smokers. I smoke since I was 14 y.o. , 2 packs a day. I live in Croatia where smoking is allowed in cafes where I go and drink coffee every day. When I was young we went to clubs and concerts with barely any ventilation and smoking was allowed so we could cut the smoke with a knife 😕 . I am 60 y.o. now , have no asthma or any of your problems. My mum is 92 , she still smokes half pack a day. Keith Richards is 80, still smokin' and rockin' 🙂

Sometimes it’s merely a health issue and not a pollution issue. Some people, such as myself, experience severe reactions to tobacco smoke.  However I do not react to other exhausts. I even react to the smell of it on a persons clothing. 

@Willow3

My listing is no smoking. And I mention in the house rules that smoking is not allowed in apartment complex public areas as well as in the house. Plus I clearly state that smokers are not welcome because they bring in the stench of smoke home and it lingers on the bedding and pillow leading to the need to re-place them. 

I once lent a book of mine to a friend who happened to be a smoker and threw the book away a couple weeks after I got it back because the book STANK like an overflowing ashtry. So I just state "Smokers are not welcome".

But I think in general most people assume that "no smoking" means "no smoking indoors" - this is how I would understand it as well. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 was the title of the book called "stop smoking in 7 days?"    🙂

Can you add " smokers are not welcome" sounds kinda funny? 

im not trolling just want to know if your rule affects your booking numbers.

Interisting subject. 

Where I live, most of my Arab friends smoke a hookah.

And not sipping a small coffee and a drag on the hookah shows disrespect.

Just saying: it's a big world with many local customs. 

shalom 

I travel often and "when in Rome..." comes to mind. In my personal "Rome" smoking is not common, it's forbidden indoors and within 25 feet of doors and windows which open to public spaces. Which is most of my property. (Small lot) 

So whilst I do not enjoy sucking in others smoke (recently returned from Ireland when smoking appears to be compulsory) - I knew I was in their playground and didn't complain

Moira21
Level 8
Bispham, United Kingdom

@Willow3 Interesting that you say "smoking is forbidden 25 feet of doors and windows which open to public spaces."  …........

My question, does this include private residences? If so, it would be great to have that law in the UK. I have neighbours who smoke outside, next to my front door. It's disgusting, especially in the summer.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Bruce43

Hi Bruce.

Being an ex-smoker (gave up 8 years ago) I now can not stand the smell of cig smoke.  So I instantly know if someone smokes.

I have a Total no smoking policy in my home. Even state "We are a non smoking household, so can only accept non smokers"

And if this is iggnored the message is repeated when booking,

and in my handbook "if you smoke it is respectively requested you cancel your booking"

I know this may appear draconian, but i do not want my home smelling like an ashtray.

Whether this has effected the number of bookings, I have no idea, I do know that some guests have commented that its nice to have a non smoking household where there is definately no smell of cig smoke.

@Chris232 I understand completely. im a two cigarette a day man for seven or eight years.

Usually in the morning at work.i always book a non-smoking room.

And I will move out of a  room if the smell knocks me out.

Congratulations on quitting for eight years.Good work mate.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Bruce43

Thanks Bruce, was on 50 a day and had a big wake up call when nearly died from pneumonia 😞

All OK now

Chris, you're worded this beautifully.  I, as a non-smoker, would gravitate to booking your home.

I have smokers who go off the property to smoke, keeping their cigarettes in their mouths, as they stroll back onto my property, before throwing the butts in the garden.  Smokers don't seem to get it.

@Bruce43 Haha!!! Adding "smokers are not welcome" actually has not affected my bookings at all - I honestly did not think my listing would do so well. Seems like there are plenty of non-smokers in the world too 🙂 

To be totally honest, Henry is a smoker - but he goes outside the gate of the apartment complex 3~4 times a day to smoke because he knows how much it bothers me. He has a separate set of clothes he wears when he goes out to smoke and he always washes up to get the smell off his face and hands. I don't expect most smokers to be this considerate of non-smokers, which is why I'd rather not host a smoker at all. I'm usually not sensitive about most things but the smell of cigarette smoke bothers me a lot. Henry and I agreed from the start that we'd rather have an empty room and no Airbnb income than having a guest that makes being in my own home stressful - the money is not worth it.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 As a smoker, Henry LOVED being in Paris & London. 

As a smoker ( outdoors only ) I just passed up a dozen places, finally found one that is happy for it to be outside, although a lot of people will not admit it, they smoke, you could be missing out on a lot customers, just saying 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Also a non smoker but they can do what they want outside.

David
Natasha3
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

My listing says "No smoking anywhere on the property" but in my house manual I specify Not in the hallway, not on the porch, not by the window. 

Some people willingly on unwillingly interpret "property" the way it suits them, so it's better to specify to avoid unnecessary confrontation. Our house layout is such that the porch is right below my windows so all that smoke and stench gets inside.

Same with my place... the patio is under my bedroom window.  And we don't do AC here, so windows are wide open.  Yuck.