What to do when you get a less than desirable guest?

Carmon1
Level 1
Winfield, CA

What to do when you get a less than desirable guest?

I am fairly new to airbnb hosting and so far, the first few guest were month long stays and were wonderful  guest. Experiences have been very positive on both sides. Our last guest was another month long guest, and I reluctantly accepted his booking inspite of some bad reviews he got. (My mistake in doing so). Everything seemed fine at first, he messaged me to say how amazing the space was once he checked in. It was near christmas, so I had left a christmas card with some homemade christmas cookies and chocolates etc etc.

Then about 10 days before his checkout, he arrived back at the suite at 4:00 AM being loud and racious with a friend, (or friends) swearing, smoking cigarettes and pot in our non-smoking suite, waking up the upstairs guest and her 7 yr old son, all on a weekday when they had work and school the next morning. It was very disrespectful, and apparently he had been smoking in the suite frequently the whole time. I sent him a message that morning as I was very upset with this development, which he did not like. He has now left us an exaggerated bad review, which has brought down our rating since we have only had a few guests before him. How do we get our rating back up? Also how are we as hosts to deal with this kind of behaviour in the future. I had a very hard time finding a phone number for Airbnb, and eventually sent a message via chat, and unfortunately received the call back several days later and missed the call. 

Suggestions?????

2 Replies 2
Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I've had a couple of less than desirable guests. In fairness to other hosts, you should open up a case.

I would start a case with the resolution center based on the guest breaking your no smoking rule and your quiet time rules (hopefully you have mentioned these rules in your house manual). 

Try to call Airbnb during regular business hours. In the worst case, scenario, direct message Airbnb on Twitter. 

Kit45
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Hi @Carmon1 

Call this toll free number 1-855-424-7262 and report guests who seriously break your house rules. 

In the future, please consider asking questions such as purpose of their trips, did they read the house rules, etc. before accepting the bookings.

Hope this help and good luck.

Kit