Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

Answered!
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Why on earth is Airbnb asking guests to rate us on how flexible we are about check in?

I am sure there are many other hosts like me who have experienced issues with getting guests to agree to an arrival time within the check in window. I have lost count of how many times guests have asked me to check in much earlier, and some times much later, even though my window is 3pm-9pm, so pretty standard for an Airbnb. I've had to make a real point of it in my house rules.

So, it really infuriates me that Airbnb is now asking guests if the host was flexible about check in as part of the review process. This is going to give guests the impression that the host SHOULD have been more flexible or offered to let them check in at any time (regardless of whether the previous guests had checked out or not or the time it takes to clean and turnover the listing - a lot of guests simply never consider these points) and may well impact the star rating they leave not only for check in, but overall. It might also encourage them to harass the next host about check in time because they will now think it's something they are entitled to.

Airbnb needs to remove this from the review process ASAP.

1 Best Answer
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Huma0,

In our guest communication we stressed that we do not have front desk staff and the guest must tell us an estimated time arrival to ensure that someone is available to check them in, and avoid delays for them accessing their rental after a long journey.  This last part seems to really resonate with guests, because it poses a potential inconvenience to them.  We tell guests that we have to wait until 24 hours before arrival to confirm if an early check-in request can be accommodated, but will allow luggage drop-off.  Under certain circumstances we do charge a fee for the extra time that's been added onto the stay.

To me, this is another step that Airbnb with little regard for home-shares, because it ignores  hosts who may have more than one guest at the same location.  Early check-ins and late checkouts can disturb and be disruptive to existing guests.

View Best Answer in original post

77 Replies 77
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Gillian166 

The host hadn't bothered responding to that review, and I get it. The review itself shows how stupid the guest is. However, unfortunately, I think a lot of guests feel this way. They think because it's an Airbnb rather than a hotel, the host should tailor everything around their needs. They don't stop to think that there might be a REASON for check in and out times and that they are not pulled out of thin air.

I do think it's a good idea to direct guests to inexpensive left luggage options though. You would think a traveller would be able to figure this out for themselves, i.e. do a google search, but I have found that is often not the case...

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Huma0 

Good, I hope all my guests will mention how inflexible I am with check-ins and check-outs so my guests stop asking me about it.

I don't know what has changed but lately, every second guest wants to arrive or leave a few hours too late, for free of course. WTF?

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I haven't noticed that personally, but then I host long term guests and don't have so many check ins...even less since the Summer release.

However, I have noticed quite a few hosts here mentioning the same thing as you. Does seem like there is something weird going on with settings where guest are being asked again to select a check in time outside of the host's window.