Wrong Occupancy Taxes being collected.

Rick-and-Deana0
Level 3
Silverthorne, CO

Wrong Occupancy Taxes being collected.

We are in an Unincorporated county area with NO town or city. The county manages all our needs.  But like many rural people in the US we are required to use the city or town closest to us in our address so the police and delivery people can find us. We don't even get mail at this address but you must have a town or city.

So since we use that city/town for our address BUT ARE NOT in that city/town AirBnB automatically is charging our guests the amounts charged for the city/town INSTEAD of what the County charges.  I have a license from the county. I have gps coordinate that will locate us outside of the city/town and yet after 15 emails through customer service they won't correct it.  I am now being completely ignored.

I am a long time (since it started) Super Host that loves AirBnB but this company has been stealing Occupancy tax money from our guests for many years and I can't get them to stop.  They are collection money for a town/city that does not want it from us and that knows we are not in their tax jurisdiction.

6 Replies 6
Rick-and-Deana0
Level 3
Silverthorne, CO

I keep trying to call customer support but they keep saying my case is resolved.  They are just blowing me off.  So frustrating.

Hi Rick and Deana, did you ever this resolved? I contacted customer support already but they didn't know how to rectify the problem. Seems like a technical error on their end. My issue that they are linking the wrong city for me and we are in a city close by.

They have not fixed this yet.  They barely seem interested since I am sure that they are keeping the additional funds they collect.  I was told it's been turned over to another department and they will contact me in 4-5 weeks and if not to start the process over.  Terrible customer service.

It has finally been resolved though no one from AirBnB has contacted me. I have been monitoring what each new guest is paying and they finally got it right.  But since they have not been in contact I have not been able to share with them that there is a new 2% tax added beginning Jan 1 as the result of a vote in Nov.

How did you find out where the taxes were being sent?  I cannot locate it on the website and my county wants the money.

In Colorado the State collects all the taxes from AirBnB and distributes it to the various tax jurisdictions automatically.  We hosts don't have to do anything about this.  It may work differently in your location.  Colorado has a website for STRs where you can type in your address and it will tell you what the taxes are and who should be getting how much.