guest talking on the phone in common s

Answered!
Nancy1882
Level 2
Pleasant Hill, CA

guest talking on the phone in common s

Hi,

I have a guest who is staying with me for a month.  

When he uses the kitchen he is on the phone constantly. It irritates me and I just go in my room  

I was talking outside on my porch with a neighbor, and he comes outside and talks on the phone.

This is irritating me.  What should I do?

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As a home share host it's much easier to resolve these sort of situations @Nancy1882 

just sit down and have a chat while the guest and say you'd appreciate if he could keep calls to a minimum in communal areas and reference any house rules you have around this .

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Some people seem to be unconscious about their social behavior. You could try to start with a polite question like “I hope my silent presence is not disturbing you” or something like this. Perhaps you find a better wording (I’m not a native speaker).

Once I experienced a similar situation in the Sauna (with strict silence rule) where two buddies babbled incessantly, and finally another guest used a sentence like this. Worked!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As a home share host it's much easier to resolve these sort of situations @Nancy1882 

just sit down and have a chat while the guest and say you'd appreciate if he could keep calls to a minimum in communal areas and reference any house rules you have around this .

Thanks for your reply.  I was wondering, do most host shave this as a rule?  Or is it a given?  No speaking on the phone in the communal areas?  It is very annoying since I like to connect to my guests in the kitchen area.  But this guest is always on the phone so it's impossible to connect with him.

Nancy

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

hosts do have rules around being quiet between certain hours @Nancy1882 

but quite honestly just have a chat with him

and ask him to have calls in his room. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

We also like to socialize with our guests in the shares areas – however not to listen to their private phone calls.

But, I think, you can’t educate guests. Either they are well-educated and don’t do this – or they aren’t. Same in the tram: there are polite and impolite people.

How about listening to your favorite music in a volume that is comfortable to you (but not to public callers)?

We drastically shortened our house rules. We never had such a rule included, and would find it very strange to find such a rule when we travel.

I would focus on finding the right guests for the future. A good matching makes hosting easier.

Sharon683
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Clearly he is use to living alone.  He is not aware that others are not interested in his personal conversations.  I would definitely have a conversation with him.  Hopefully he is not loud during his phone conversations.  That could be even more annoying.  Good luck!