inquiry expiring

Answered!
Stephanie2470
Level 2
Petaluma, CA

inquiry expiring

an inquiry just expired and I assumed because the guest was asking questions and I was responding to her questions the inquiry would not expire, but it did. how do you guys work around that? is there a way to extend an inquiry. I find when I contact air b n b 800 number the people answering the phone often have no idea what I am asking about. 

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest doesn't confirm the enquiry within 24 hours it will expire @Stephanie2470 

If the guest wants to book and you have availability they can just send another booking request or use IB whatever you have set up.

many guests who send inquiries don't go onto book 

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Stephanie2470 

The prospective guest has possibly several listings that they are considering so it might take more than 24 hours for them to decide.  You were very reactive but the other hosts might take longer in replying but I'm sure that your reactivity is worth something to a guest.  

Hopefully the "information request" will turn into a "reservation request" or you can message them to see if they need any further information reminding them gently that your calendar has now been reopened for other guests to book.

Fingers crossed

Joëlle

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest doesn't confirm the enquiry within 24 hours it will expire @Stephanie2470 

If the guest wants to book and you have availability they can just send another booking request or use IB whatever you have set up.

many guests who send inquiries don't go onto book 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie2470 was it definitely an inquiry or was it a booking request?

It was a booking request 

@Stephanie2470 Ah yes then these absolutely do need a decision in 24 hrs. If discussions are continuing beyond this the only thing you can/should do is to ask the guest to rescind the request.

While I am here if it is a booking inquiry then only a response is needed. You do not need to accept or decline even though the system encourages you to do so.

what happens if i decline the booking request because conversations are continuing? is that advised or is it best to have the guests do it?

@Stephanie2470 Declining a request is not great as Airbnb's algorithms will see it as you turning down business. It is better though than taking in an unsuitable guest. The ideal is for you to send a message to the guest asking them to retract their request while discussions continue as you do not want to decline the request unnecessarily.

thankyou. i had no idea. i decline a lot of requests.

How do you do this? “Please withdraw your request, and we can talk about this further” seems awkward.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

An "inquiry" truly means nothing. It's just a button a guest pushes to contact the host. Ignore the clock/expiration and keep communicating with the guest if need be. 

Do not confuse this with a "Request to book" which needs action with an accept or decline within a 24-hour time period.

Hi! Thanks for your response. The inquiry had dates and amounts. I think it was more than an inquiry then. If I don’t decline or accept (I kept being asked to do that) for this one do I get docked by air b n b? 

@Stephanie2470 do I get docked by air b n b? 

No, not your acceptance rate. I have never accepted or declined an inquiry in over 6 years of hosting. But you must respond with text; you can't just ignore the guest (then you will be docked in terms of your response rate.) Again, do not get an 'inquiry' confused with a 'Booking request.' They are two separate things. 

This article does a good job of explaining the difference:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-updates/Understanding-Response-Rate-and-Acceptance-Rate/m...