military discount

Answered!
Sunyong0
Level 1
Austin, TX

military discount

we have a military person requesting a discount because his per-diem is lower.  does airbnb offer any discount for military personnel?

i am aware i can give him a discount from my end but i don't wish to do that since my price is already discounted.  just wondering if airbnb would cut their fees.   

**Moderator edit: This topic has now been closed. To continue, please start a new conversation or go here.

1 Best Answer
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

It would be up to the guest to ask Airbnb to discount their fees, @Sunyong0, and it is highly unlikely. There are no company discounts for veterans or military personel or firefighters or pensioners or anyone really. Only infants and pets get a free ride 🙂

If he is travelling on a per diem for work, and it is capped, he will have to find someplace to stay that is less gorgeous than yours. 

Nothing obliges you to further discount your own price, as you have noted. 

View Best Answer in original post

35 Replies 35

You’re absolutely insane

Speaking as an e5 of the military with 2 deployments under my belt I am not new to this but if you think keeping you guys safe is not saving your life not only should you reevaluate your spending budget since 10% off is to much for you but know how safety and saving your life goes hand and hand with each other… I have many battles who are struggling now with ptsd, anxiety and not being able to fit back into civilization because they went off “to kill” if you would like to speak to them and show them how you feel and explain there Sacrifice can’t even get them 10% when they have no showers or beds to sleep please feel free to direct message me and I can connect you  

No one is obligated to discount their prices. Just don't be rude about it. The question was about a military discount, not a doctor or nurse discount.

Have you heard of physicians in the military… please think about that. I hope you are not healthcare because I cannot believe how ignorant that comment was 

As pointed out it’s not the lack of discount that was problematic, it was the disrespectful comment. I am a veteran and rarely ask for it, but thank a business when they offer it. Most military and veterans who joined to truly serve, won’t expect it. It’s not the way we are wired. 

Veterans are not nearly as cared for as you’d like to think. The veteran homeless population is high, due to lack of adequate care many die from injuries or commit suicide due to mental health crisis.

Military, doctors, nurses, firemen, police - all in the same category. They all work tirelessly in service to their communities and country.  All deserve respect.

“Military does not save lives.”
The military is very reason you have freedom to say such disrespectful and disgusting things. The absolute lack of respect toward those put their own lives in danger to defend your very audacious and ludicrous statements is absolutely atrocious. They don’t save lives? Have you met a combat medic? What about a corpsman?

”Benefit from our tax dollars”

Military personnel are on a fixed income, which is based on rank. Being a lower rank often means living paycheck to paycheck, even after pay incentive for things such as being airborne or duty pay. You want to talk about struggling to make ends meet? The average junior enlisted personnel with dependents makes less that $40k a year. What tax dollars do they benefit from? The average annual automatic pay increase is typically less than 3%, which is barely enough to even make a difference after adjusting for the rising cost of living. Most military personnel, on average, get paid less than a majority entry level medical positions.
What about veterans who spent time fighting overseas? Your asinine comments obviously depict you think the military is only good for fighting wars. So what do you think happens to them when they come home? It’s not all roses once they have to adjust back into society. The number of homeless veterans is atrocious. Do you think they benefit from your tax dollars?

You should be beyond ashamed of how insanely heartless your statements are. People like you are the literal scum of the earth. I hope you never have to experience such tragedies as those who have fought, or lost some one who fought, for your freedom to be so densely ignorant.

I would like to offer a Military discount to show my appreciation. How do I do this on Airbnb? 

I think you have to do it before the booking is made with a special offer. Or someone has to cancel then re-request to book. I was looking for a way to offer a discount after the fact and couldn't find it at all. I'll probably just give a certificate to a local restaurant.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

I stayed at an airbnb in Florida that offered a military discount.  All they did was put it in the description and asked to message them prior to booking the room.  It was all still much simpler than using a hotel room.

I was asked if I offered military discount. I certainly would when asked. I’m awaiting guidance from airbnb.  My family has been involved in military  since Korean War so I get it and respect.  Proud of being a military family and when I can will offer the discount.

Alexa29
Level 1
Ithaca, NY

If I'm asked to provide a discount, what's an appropriate amount, and how can I verify their status? I'd like to do something but also wary of getting ripped off. Thanks! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Surely there is military ID they can send you a copy of once they book, you can then offer the discount as a refund through the Resolution Centre. @Alexa29 

I'm not an Airbnb person that owns a place, I'm one of those who rents, however I did 7 years Navy. Active duty or in uniform discounts are usually between 10 and 15% at the expression of the business or business owner and if you offer a veteran's discount it's usually 5-10%, again it is at the discretion of the owner. Sometimes it's only for certain periods of the year, memorial day veterans day, etc. Anybody who is legit is going to have either a military ID, a base ID (dependent, retired or disabled) or a VA ID which is strictly for the disabled veterans. Anyone who doesn't have an IG but claims they're supposed to be able to should be able to provide either a copy of their VA entitlement lawyer or let you see a copy of the DD-214 (this is the equivalent of a social security card to the military, please don't expect to be able to keep that one). If the person cannot provide any of those there's a good chance they're not a veteran or active duty.

You can ask for their active duty or retiree ID or a ddform 214 

The VA gives Veteran ID’s and some states like Texas will verify and put it on the state ID. If they are still serving they will have a military ID. ☺️