smoking penalty

Answered!
Gabe2
Level 2
Seattle, WA

smoking penalty

Throughout my posting and my rules I have No Smoking listed several times. In the rules I mention heavy fines for smoking.  

My guests smoked and I have screenshots from my video security showing it.  I would like to administer the fine.  I reminded them of the policy during their stay and they apologized.  When should I tell them about the fine?  Will airbnb support and help me to collect the fine?

Text from my posting and rules below

POSTING

No smoking

• Absolutely no smoking or any other smoking-like-activities on or near our house, even a few houses away. Typically people don't smoke on the street around here so my neighbors would find it disconcerting. There are some fine places to enjoy a smoke nearby - Harvard Avenue, Eastlake Avenue, even a few waterfront spots. There are heavy penalties for smoking. Please just don't do it.

RULES

NO SMOKING INSIDE OR OUT, NOT EVEN HALFWAY DOWN THE BLOCK!!!!  I can't stress enough that smoking will not be tolerated, even if you are a couple of houses away.  If you wish to smoke please go two blocks west to Harvard and Shelby or somewhere else on a busy street.  Our neighbors don't like it either and have come to expect no smoking, no butts, etc...  I am sorry if this seems draconian but it just something we don't want to deal with. 

$500 fine for smoking on the property outdoors and $2,000 fine plus actual remediation costs for smoking inside.  In either case your stay will be cancelled and you will have to leave the property immediately.  Does that sound unfair?  I am very sorry.  Smoking is just not tolerated.

1 Best Answer

My original question was whether or not Airbnb would support and enforce the fine for smoking.  

- No

David

View Best Answer in original post

106 Replies 106
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You can certainly try via AirBnB = whether they will stomach a $500 fine for smoking outdoors is debatable - unless it was indoors perhaps and you have lots of additional cleaning to do.

Very annoying - but we know guests don't read house descriptions and rules all the time.

Or follow the rules...

Anais.Bijoux.Art
Accommodation: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/24001381?s=51
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/23886575?s=51
Alex111
Level 2
Sacramento, CA

Whatever happens outside of your premises I don't think you can control.

Daniel127
Level 5
Barcelona, Spain

If Airbnb actually allowed you to enforce those fines ( I can't see that they will) it'll be the most expensive smoke anyone has ever had.
$500 for smoking in the street! Rofl!

You can recover costs, not fines. What are your damages?

David

Good luck recouping fines OR costs.  I provided an itemized list of additional costs incurred when a tenant violated the no smoking policy and Airbnb stated it wasn't good enough.  I then provided a separate receipt from my property management/cleaning company.  Airbnb stated that this wasn't sufficient because the company I pay to do that "couldn't be found on Google".  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!  I have now sent them a direct link to the corporation commission corporation search, which has the company name and address that matches that on the receipt I provided.  It has now been 11 days and I have received no response other than the automated one promising a response within 24 hours.  I have delisted my home because it is clear that Airbnb has no interest in supporting property owners when renters violate the terms put forth on Airbnb's own website.

However, the concept of issuing a fine on someone who smokes while they are off of your property is absurd and laughable.

In most cases it seems that AirBnb need the Guest to admit they smoked, did they do so?

There is of course no requirement for a Company to be found in Google for either a Security Deposit or Host Guarantee claim, they seem to make things up as they go along.

What sort of costs did you specify, just intrigued.

I have a look at your listing and saw no mention that you need to see ID, also personally I would not list such a property of a site that did not give me a real security deposit.

David

Yap, it happens to me too. It took me full months to get rid of that smells. And paint the walls, shampoo, all that.. zero refunds. So. I no longer accept smoker. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

 i sent Airbnb actual receipts for the damages, replacements that were purchased, and an expert in smoke removal that remidied the room and they flat out refused to cover all costs I directly incured.

AirB&B is correct! Smoke damage on fabrics are invisible. which is why you should FedEx them the above mentioned damaged items and tell them to smell it!

@Zak207 bring it up on ABNB FB page and Twitter feed.

Even though "Curry Smell" is invisible - most apartment complexes are succesfully prohibiting it and just as sucessfully take people to the courts for damages and getting fully reimbursed for repainting and carpets replacements.

Never take NO for an answer with insurance companies - and their first answer is always NO

That is playbook - know how to play 

Hi @David126 

OK thanks, that does clarify a few things. But, maybe putting that there is a fine to recover damages and cleaning could act as a deterrent? Guests, if they are that bad, would take advantage of Airbnb and make Airbnb pay it.

Cheers

Anais-Bijoux0

Anais.Bijoux.Art
Accommodation: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/24001381?s=51
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/23886575?s=51
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Gabe2 While I sympathize (I can't stand cig smoke!), the fact that you think you have any right to enforce your no-smoking rule half a block from your house makes me laugh and wince.

We also have a strict no-smoking indoors rule, and we mention that we'll charge any offender for a full professional cleaning/de-smoking if they break the rule. I fully expect that AirBnB would back us up if we provided "proof" and the bill for the special professional cleaning. I wouldn't expect them to back me if the guest smoked off my property, no matter how much I protested that it annoyed my neighbors. That's a problem to be solved between you, your guests, and your neighbors.

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Gabe2, I am very much in favour of diplomatic responses to discussion points in this forum, and I declare myself to be a non-smoker. My listing is non-smoking as well. 

But your discussion point Gabe, and your suggestion that you want support for enforcing such rules and huge fines for smoking in outdoor areas of your property and neighbourhood where you have no legal juristriction is extreme, unsustainable, and has no foundation for success even if it is in your house rules.

The focus seems to be a desire on your part to punish your guests and exact retribution, rather than prevent future guests smoking.... 

I would not expect Airbnb to support the enforcement of your fine for smoking outdoors or off-premises, even if it was a legal/local community no smoking zone. That would be up to the local authorities and not any individual such as ourselves. Nor would it be the right, or role of Airbnb to act in this manner.

You can write whatever rules you wish, but not all of them are going to be enforceable or legal. House rules need to be legally enforceable and certainly relevant to your private premises.

My question is; what's happening with the video filming that you have been taking and viewing? in many juristictions there needs to be direct notification to any persons who have the potential to be filmed. In other words you cannot secretly or otherwise film visitors or people on the premises.

Airbnb also have a section in your host user agreement which governs your contract with them. I suggest that you ensure that you are not acting in a way which is in breach of that agreement before you get too carried away with filming your guests, and using film as evidence in any matter. If you are in breach of your host terms and conditions you may not need to worry about smoking guests for very much longer.

I suspect that should you even attempt to enforce this particular matter, it would damage your reputation as a host and the reputation of Airbnb as a hosting and accommodation service. The financial damage to yourself and other hosts would be far greater than even your huge fines.

My advice is that in future you continue to try and work with your guests to anticipate their needs. If they are smokers who have booked your property then it's sensible to work with them and encourage their honesty, plus you still have some responsibility to find a way to accommodate their smoking outdoors once they are at the property if you knowingly accepted a booking from smokers. A collaborative response would in effect be a version of "harm minimisation". If you are taking money for having guests stay, then accept the challenge of accommodating a constant variety of individual needs without compromising key concerns of your own around safety and the preservation of your property and contents.

Thereafter, by reducing or eliminating bookings from smokers you will then meet the preferred neighbourhood conditions that you are describing. As another commentator mentioned, what is the actual damage to your property? It's unlikely the fines would be enforceable, and your security deposit is in place to recompense for damage-not punish guests.

In the Airbnb review system you are certainly entitled to mention that your guests broke the anti-smoking house rule if they were in a no-smoking area which you owned and had rights over. If you also wish to mention that your street and footpath area is a preferred no-smoking zone then mentioning putting this in a review will alert future guests to the strength of your convictions. This should discourage future smokers from booking to stay at your listing. This would give you the non-smoking outcome you desire. 

Hosts punishing guests is not hospitable, and we are meant to be in the hospitality industry. 

I hope my response is helpful to you as you contemplate how you might go forward with hosting via the Airbnb platform.

Sincere regards, Christine.