so a guest shows up with a 'service animal', what are AirBnB's policies on that?

Conrad1
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

so a guest shows up with a 'service animal', what are AirBnB's policies on that?

50 Replies 50

Strait out of the federal laws most recent update "Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals."

The same as the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). That does not mean a guest can do whatever, such as leave the animal unattended while the guest goes out. Be on furniture and in sleeping rooms if the host requested that and is in their house rules.

Wrong -Service animal can go anywhere with it's owner including the couch and bedrooms 

Correct- You can't leave your service animal unattended at your Airbnb.

Many here are replying in regards to an Emotional Support Animal. 

To be succinct...

An emotional support animal is NOT the same as a service animal. 

They are two different categories of animals, with two different purposes, and as such, with the exception of New York and California, fall under two different sets of rules. 

A guest with a service animal does NOT have to disclose to the just that the service animal is accompanying them, and a host may not deny a guest because of their service animal, or provide differential treatment in any way. A host also MAY NOT charge extra fees, animal fees, or any additional fees because of a service animal. 

The host MAY ask if the service animal is necessary because of a disability and which services that they are trained to perform. 

The host MAY NOT ask to see them perform the service or really anything further than what I've mentioned above. 

Again, an ESA is different than a SERVICE animal, is NOT considered a pet, and does NOT have to be disclosed AT ALL (but it is encouraged for the sake of transparency).

Thank you for shedding some light on this. I host in California and just leaned as I had to study up on the policy after a guest snuck an unregistered pet in, that was identified as ‘animal’ by my door camera. 

What’s challenging to reconcile is, no matter what classification, there is added cleaning involved and guests who may be negatively impacted if that cleaning isn’t done properly. It’s only after  animal accompanied stays that my cleaners charge additional fees.

Unregistered ? There is no registration for a service animal.