what can i do, a host has ghosted me

Sharon1800
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

what can i do, a host has ghosted me

I booked a non-cancellable airbnb listing to do an alpine crossing, I really wanted to do this crossing this year. Closer to the dates I find that the weather does not look good, and I inform the host immediately - he doesn't reply. I drop him a call, a text, no reply.

The day before check-in I try to shift my booking days to the next day but since i am "booking over myself" as i booked for 2 days - i can only shift the dates out later. I get no response from the host.

The day of check in, my shuttles get cancelled and I ask the host if i can move it. He still doesn't reply. At this point i've already contacted Airbnb 3x so that I can change my bookings. 

I get a vague message from him that his cottage isn't free in 2 weeks, but "maybe next month or year". He goes MIA at this point. I ask him to cancel my booking for a refund, I ask Airbnb for the same thing as he's not even replying me. Also, reading up on it - there are strict response times closer to check in that a host needs to abide by but clearly he has not? I wasn't even trying to cancel, I have every intention to stay and even if he charges me more for the dates that I want (I checked, the cottage is free) - I didn't mind then. But now, he's just gone missing??

Has this happened to you? What did you do? What can I do? I would like a refund, how can I even trust this host now if anything goes wrong!

This is the first time I have ever had a host like this.

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why should the host or Airbnb cancel the booking  because you don't want to travel? @Sharon1800 

you absolutely could have sent the host a request to amend the booking date 

yes the host has been poor at communicating but you are still liable  for the cancellation policy you booked under.

not sure what you mean when you say the shuttles aren't working  but if you couldn't get to the venue because of travel issues then claim on your travel insurance.

Thanks Helen, i did send a host a request and I wasn't able to make the booking. Again, I really just wanted to work with the host. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You need to claim on your travel insurance - the host doesn't need to agree to move your dates @Sharon1800 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sharon1800 The host is not behaving as well as they should but, at the end of the day, you booked a non-cancellable stay and bad weather is not really a good excuse for trying to move/cancel said stay.

Hey there, I actually couldn't make it as all the shuttles were cancelled from the bad weather. Not that I didn't want to...

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

@Sharon1800 If you book a non refundable stay you are not getting a refund in case you choose to cancel/not stay. Why would you expect that? If your shuttle was cancelled you should use your travel insurance- it is what travel insurance is for. You booked and blocked dates so no one else could book. The dates were reserved for you. 
Please make sure to understand TOS when you book something - you don’t seem to understand how bookings /cancellation policies work. 

What I initially wanted was to work out new dates with my host but was ghosted, a decline in my request instead of putting me in limbo would have been better. 

Also the host replied only 1x with "maybe next month or year" implying he was okay with a change of dates and then ghosted again. 

Not sure if you think ghosting is acceptable behaviour as well. And trust you wouldn't do the same to your guests which would make you a far better host.