Protect Your Airbnb Account! - Two Settings You Should Enable: A Community Help Guide

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Protect Your Airbnb Account! - Two Settings You Should Enable: A Community Help Guide

I see a lot of posts on Twitter and other forums where Airbnb accounts are getting hacked.  There are several ways to avoid being hacked but I wanted to share two settings I enable to hopefully avoid my account being compromised.

1. Enable Notifications for "Changes made to your account"

Most hosts probably already have this feature enabled but if you don't, you may want to.

changes.png

2. Enable "Login Notifications"

I find enabling login notifications the most important setting to help protect my account.  If you have this set, you receive a notification immediately when you or someone else logs in from a computer or device that has not been used to log into your Airbnb account before.  If you receive the notification and it was not you logging in, log into your account immediately and change your password.

security.png

I would love to hear any other suggestions you may have regarding protecting your Airbnb account.

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

10 Replies 10
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

And never, ever, share your email address with anyone other than Airbnb.  Even if communicating with Airbnb on twitter, send email addresses by Direct Message (DM) only as regular tweets are public and is a great source of info by scammers /hackers. Hackers are very sophisticated in mimicking the "look" of Airbnb with logos, language and marketing slogans.  If you get a request for a login or email address, check with Airbnb first. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/971/how-do-i-know-if-an-email-is-really-from-airbnb

@Clare0

Thank you for reiterating this. It is so verty important and perhaps some hosts are unaware that this is a protection for us

Rachele5
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

I am puzzled by this situation which leads me to think my account may have been hacked.

one of my listing has totally stopped receiving requests since I turned down

Karen608
Level 1
Flagstaff, AZ

When did air b & b start requiring a license or passport photo? Is this legitimate or is it a hack? I'm tyring to upload my license for them on my app, but it won't take it and now I can't book with them. 

Tina64
Level 3
Seattle, WA

I just stumbled on this tutorial and tried to make the security changes and they are not available. I wonder why Airbnb would discontinue the use of these features?? Anyway, this should be updated or deleted unless it is available for other uses outside of the US (or maybe it changes state to state?) so as not to confuse or frustrate new users. It does seem odd that with all the hacking going on Airbnb would not leave these measures in place. If someone has more information please chime in. 

Thank you. 

Anais-Bijoux0
Level 2
Perth, Australia

Hello,

I think you need to put your business email in to receive the notifications for this. It may depend on which level host you are? Maybe someone can help with this...

Anais.Bijoux.Art
Accommodation: https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/24001381?s=51
https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/23886575?s=51
Share1
Level 2
Salem, MA

I'm a SuperHost  in Massachusetts, and it's November, 2018; those security options are not available to me either...

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

These settings are no longer available in 2019, which is rather ridiculous. WHY remove them? 

Yes, i think they are really required settings. Hope they bring back there settings

G-C-R-M0
Level 7
California, United States

I am disappointed to see these settings went away. I was excited to find there's this setting, then couldn't find it, then I saw @Colleen253  posting just now.