A guest has arrived and is very rude.

Lulu56
Level 2
Cambridge, United Kingdom

A guest has arrived and is very rude.

I accepted a booking yesterday for tonight. He has some good reviews. I always check because I live alone and the guest shares my space. When accepting I asked for an approx arrival time.

The guest said 'late, after supper" to which I replied, Please not after ten, I need to go to bed. And got no response.

About 7.15pm tonight, there's a bang on the door and it's the guest. He says, thought I had better come and check in before dinner. I was pleased about this, showed him how to lock door, have him key and explained, I have a no shoe policy indoors. I took him to the room and started to show him around but he said I havent got time for this, my friend is outside waiting.

I was a bit surprised by this. He hadn't been in the house two minutes. Hadn't introduced himself properly, I can't see from his image of he is the person in the photo. I havent been able to show him where everything is, like the light switches, power points etc and I thought he was extremely dismissive and rather rude. I will have to wait up for him now as there is no chance of him coming in quietly, unless I leave all the lights on. I am worried that he will come back drunk as he does not seem a bit like the person in the reviews. He is a big guy, I am a bit frightened to be honest.

How shall I procede

13 Replies 13
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Lulu56 

Your listing says: check-in after 3:00 PM.

Better set first check-in time and last check-in time.

Also set a check-out time !

It shows hospitality to point people to the most important facilities , but I think guests will locate light-switches and powerpoints easily themself.

Maye first wait how it goes, you have met the guest only for few minutes....

Keep us updated !

Best regards,

Emiel

Lulu56
Level 2

Emiel, thank you for your reply. However, this is my spare room in my apartment, not a flop house. You are hardly treating a host with respect, if you don't want to introduce yourself, brush them off when you try to make them welcome and explain about the house. I do not want men who have not even identified themselves turning up half drunk in the middle of the night. 

I am going to have to stop doing airbnb, there is no protection for hosts

@Lulu56 @Gillian166 

The way I see it, you are putting yourself in danger by renting your spare room in your apartment,

I like to give guest the run down when they arrive most are ok with it but I can tell some are not especially after a long flight,

Taking your shoes off is a Big rule in Thailand, I have it in my house rules and I tell people at the door we are surrounded by beaches it can get really bad with the sand inside.

I have seen lots of women on airbnb that will only rent to women you just have to have that in your rules, you cant impose it later.

@Sudsrung0  we don't bother imposing a shoe rule here, even though in our own homes we do remove shoes when inside, honestly i think most people do remove shoes. one of our listings is set up nicely with an entrance space, I should include a shoe rack! (✓good tip) 

Given the global guest complaints about excessive rules and checkout chores, I think a wise host would include all rules in the listing, and according to ABB guests must agree to those rules as part of the booking. 

@Emiel1 

You might think that, guest can find light switches easy, Not so I remember some guest messaging me at 10+30 at night how to turn the kitchen lights off, 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Lulu56  I'm sorry to hear this and perhaps this guy shouldn't book private room stays, but your listing looks like it's simple and no fuss, your description make it seem like you are easygoing, and yet here you are saying you need to tell people where the light switch and powerpoints are.  We have a quirky set up where the bedroom light switch is next to an external door that we don't use and now covered with a wardrobe, so the switch is behind that. Hard to find! So in my 2pm welcome message I write: first things: the bedroom switch is behind the wardrobe.    100% stopped people asking about it. 

Have you considered that some men don't want to hang out with women and chat about lodging? Even if you know better, lol, and you know he's going to stumble about in the dark - relax, he has a torch on his phone. (I 100% can see my hubby in this situation, he wants to go meet his friend for dinner that he hasn't seen in a few years, rather than stand around and be instructed on light switch etiquette) Is he rude, or brusque? You do NOT have to wait up for him, he's an adult. and basically you forced him to check in before dinner to suit your schedule, did you tell him there was a 15min orientation as well?  

You have no house rules beyond "no children". why not add in the bit about shoes? and "please allow 15mins for me to show you around"

another idea: maybe don't host men if you are concerned about personal safety.

good luck and I hope it all turns out fine. 🙂

Lulu56
Level 2

Thank you for your extremely unhelpful response. If you read my reviews you will see that I am extremely easy going. It is common courtesy to introduce yourself to your host and spend five minutes listening what they have to say.

No one should need a manual telling people  to take their shoes off when they walk into a clean apartment  apartment, that they are sharing with the host, that too is common courtesy. 

No one 'forced him'  to check in, I don't think asking people to arrive before ten is unreasonable. My policy says flexible but this person couldn't be bothered to make an arrangement. 

Clearly you have no idea what it is like hosting when you live on your own and as such, I wouldn't comment on posts. I would prefer not to host single men but airbnb does not give me that option. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Lulu56  by "unhelpful" you mean I didn't agree with you?  But actually I did agree with you, in part. I agree with you that arriving before 10pm is reasonable and polite in the context of a private room stay. I wrote that already. 

I offered you some solutions to avoid this situation in the future, I'm unsure how that is "unhelpful", when clearly you mean "unsympathetic".  so sure, here goes: yes this guy sounds like he's a bit of *bleep* and i'm sorry you had to experience that.  I'm sorry I didn't deliver a big dose of sympathy first, I suck at that, it's been pointed out many times. 😆

Actually there are hosts who only host women. That is a thing. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lulu56 

I am a woman who hosts in my home and I'm afraid I don't agree with your comments.

1. If you want guests to remove shoes in your home add this to your house rules - that's what I do

2. You haven't put a limit on your check in times if you want to limit them add this into your check in instructions

3. I don't expect to have to meet guests on check in. I have a lock box for when I am not around. It is not rude of the guest not to want you to show them around. I have automated lights upstairs and downstairs in the hallways so guests don't need to find light switches.

4. You can indeed specify female only guests as a female homeshare host if this is your preference.

And why would you assume the guest would come home drunk?

Interesting... you have a review as a guest that says you were extremely rude.

"Rude guest, personally harassed by her by name calling and ended up reporting her to airbnb. No professional approach. Never recommend."

Your response to this lady was even more rude.

Every single reply you have made on this thread is rude.

And yet your profile says.... "Not very 21st century as I rarely get offended. I like meeting new people so looking forward to more encounters with AirBnB supporters soon."

Oh, the irony!. 

You're clearly a big girl and a pro at "rude". You can figure this one out on your own.

Awaiting rude response in 5... 4... 3... 2...

@JoandJoe0 

I saw that as well which I thought was funny, 

I dont think she will come back, 

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Lulu56 

What was the outcome? 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Lulu56 ,

This must have been a terrifying feeling!! I hope you are doing good and in a safer state of mind now😊

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines