Don't speak the language

Don't speak the language

I have an inquiry from someone who communicates in a language I don’t speak. I am uncomfortable accepting a 30-day request. Has anyone encountered this situation?  Any guidance? 

13 Replies 13
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Patricia3197 

I dont see the problem there is a big  wide world outside of America and many people dont speak English or prefer to communicate in their own language.

You do have the ability on airbnb to translate to many different languages, well certainly on a desktop you have not sure about on the app,

I am Thai nobody send me a message in my language it is I that has to be able to speak English, we get messages in Russian and Chinese.

Anyway Google is you best friend. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I don't know if we all use the same version of the app, but the one I'm using automatically translates every message into my choice of language. Apparently it also translates my responses into the guest's language of choice too. 

And yes, people speak different languages. Some only speak one language (e.g., majority of Brits and Americans). Others are multilingual. It's just how it is. Especially in a global business like this one. 

Thank you for your reply.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

What makes you uncomfortable? The language barrier or the length of stay or the combination of both? Legitimate concern if one has to try to 'communicate' with someone for 30 long days without the benefit of a common language. Bummer, that the likelihood of both knowing sign language in the same language be so slim.

Patricia3702
Level 1
North Carolina, United States

Thank you for understanding my concern.

Mariann4
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Being a Norwegian speaking a language only 5,4 million people speak I always "encounter this situation", @Patricia3197 . There are plenty of good apps to translate. And helping with body languange you get a long way.

Currently in Spain. I speak 3 or 4 words of Spanish. Still managed to save the nextdoor neighbour when he needed help after locking himself out on the balcony on the sixth floor. Him not speaking one word English and me no Spanish.

Patricia3702
Level 1

Thank you for your help.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It certainly does make it challenging if you and the guest do not speak a word of each other's language but, as others have said, there are ways to communicate, at least in writing, but also there are apps that allow you to do voice translations should you need that, for an in person check in/tour for example.

I would base my decision not on which language the guest communicates in but HOW they communicate. Try to have a conversation with the guest via the Airbnb messaging system, asking them whatever questions you feel necessary. Translate the responses and from those you can judge whether this person sounds like a good guest or not and, very importantly, understands the listing and the house rules.

@Patricia3197

Patricia3702
Level 1

Thank you for your response.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Patricia3197, welcome to the Community Center. There are various ways to communicate with guests, including making use of some of the translation features, as @Sudsrung0 excellently described.

The magic of Airbnb after all is to be able to Hosts people from all around the world regardless of what language they speak 🙂.

With that said, I would like to remind you of our Non-discrimination Policy for future reference.

Thank you,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

@Quincy @Patricia3197 

There are many programs out there for translating I would say one of the best is Google Translate it's Free!

Especially Thai to English Dont use FB it's garbage.

Thank you for your reply.  Google Translate was easy to use.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Sudsrung0 

I always use Google translate, but it's not fail safe. I've had some very odd translations come up, like the time a guest apparently said in his review there were "cute seals" at the listing. A lot of the rest of the review didn't make sense when translated either, like "Autumn liked the house." He was a tattoo artist from Russia and his name was definitely not Autumn!

PRC_115415999.jpg