Guest brings extra person without advice prior to their check-in.

Guest brings extra person without advice prior to their check-in.

Hello. What can we do in this situation that guest brings extra person without letting us know?.

It is clearly stated in our listing the unit is for 3-4 persons only (maximum). 

We are surprised upon checking in at 8-9 in the evening, they came up 5. 

Said, the extra person is willing to pay extra and will sleep in sofa. But sofa is not bed.

We would like to know what is the possible action for this?.aside, we said them that this was not correct. 

Thank you for your kind help and answers..

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Mary-Grace8 as they are breaking your rules you can ask Airbnb to cancel the reservation but you will then need to remove them from the property a dn Airbnb will refund unused nights.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Mary-Grace8 

We get this a lot. Usually catch it in the pre booking vetting process, but not always. 

In my experience, it's rarely seems dubiously intentional. They just choose the lowest cost option and book it without reading anything.

In other cases, they've booked it for x-pax, and later somebody decides to join them. No thought is given to how that may impact their booking.

In these cases, the guests have no problem paying for the extra persons as soon as they've been informed. All good. Everybody happy.

Except the couch. We wouldn't allow that either. And if you don't have enough beds, then it's not your problem, it's theirs. You'll have to book something else. Sorry. 

There are a few cases where it's intentional, and we know this because they make excuses that sound fishy. For example, "I'm booking this for my parents. I'll be staying elsewhere, but I will be around if you need me". or "I'll be having a few friends over, but they won't be staying". They know from the start that more persons cost more money, they're just trying to get it cheaper.  But you can sense it  if you're a bit perceptive. Better to confront them straight away. (We lock unbooked bedrooms, and no,  you can't use the sofa). 

But then, it does beg the question of whether you're attracting the right type of guests. Are you under priced? Cheapness attracts cheapness. Let others host those types. Price a bit higher than everybody else. When they're booked up, you'll be the only game in town. Besides, You have enough to worry about. 

It's all part of hosting. Stay aware, figure out where your pricing should be, and learn how to diplomatically deal with "special" guests, and you'll do just fine.

And don't depend on Airbnb to have your back. It's just a booking platform. Use it for what it's good at. Everything else is on you. Go forward with that view, and you'll have fewer problems. 

Good luck. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I have had this happen quite a bit. I actually had one guest say the extra person could just sleep "in the little extra room." That little extra room was a full functioning office, mind you with no bed. 

Ultimately, whether they read the rules or not, they are agreeing to them when booking. If they are exceeding your maximum number of occupants, you have the right to tell them no and be firm about the extra person not staying or ask them to find alternate accommodations. Airbnb can assist you in cancelling the reservation if you take this course.

It is up to you if you want to accept and allow the extra individual. Personally, I would message them politely but firmly.  Something like "Good Evening XXX, while we appreciate your offer to pay for the extra individual, the sofa is not set up to serve as a bed for extra persons. We kindly ask that you do not exceed the original 4 people in the reservation."

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

That happened to us recently: We host with a private room, and the guest tried to bring a “visitor” with him (which we strictly don’t allow during the pandemic).

So I confronted him directly and encouraged him to book for an extra overnight guest.

The booked guest told me that they are just watching a movie, and maybe he will drive the friend back home later.

Shortly after midnight the visitor was still in our shared apartment, so I sent a booking alteration request, resulting in 2 guests. The guest accepted it a couple of minutes later.

It has been an experienced guest with many good reviews, average 5.0 stars. That shows me, that there are still unpleasant surprised with “good” guests. We really felt uncomfortable and unsafe, realizing that there has been a stranger in our apartment.

So, if this happens: communication is the key!