Guest entered my home

Guest entered my home

The guest cut through my house to get to the back where the guest house is located.

The current guest could not get the wooden side gate to open. This gate leads to the back of the house where the guest house is.

The guest tried to use the key that opens the lock on the wooden side gate on my front door knob lock. When that key would not open my door, she then entered the code for the guest house into the keypad on the front door my door. 

Unfortunately, the installer of the combo pad used the same code for my main house door and the back guest house door! 

I added a locking door knob, which he the installer, broke and put duct tape over.  The guest cut through my house and exited out the back door. I was not home at the time, yet I still, feel uncomfortable that someone would enter another person's space without permission. 

The gate should not have been locked due to the electric company (notified me, and I notified the guest) the arborist would need access to the backyard to cut tree limbs away from power lines. I let the guest know this before she had trouble opening the gate. I asked her not to lock the side wooden gate. 

There is still a couple more month before she leaves. She also brought two pets with her and not one. I am not feeling very trustful towards this guest.

Any suggestions on how to handle this? Thank you.

5 Replies 5
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rachael43 

That's not okay, clearly. I am sure you have already done so, but if not, please change the code on your front door and make sure the lock on the gate is functioning properly. I know you said on this occasion, the guest was not supposed to lock the gate, but she did and then had problems unlocking it, so make sure that issue is resolved.

Then, you have two options. Either leave it alone, safe in the knowledge that the guest can no longer access your home, and mention something about it in the review/private feedback once she has gone, or you can speak to her about it politely and firmly and let her know that it's not okay for her to just let herself in your house. As her to please contact you should she have any issues with the gate in future.

As for the extra pet, I see you have an extra pet fee. Did you ask her to pay this? I feel like you might want to reword your listing a bit. You mention the extra pet fee in your extended house rules, but a lot of guests do not bother reading that detail. Meanwhile, in the main description, you mention the place is suitable for one, or maybe two, dogs. So, it's possible that she thought it didn't matter either way and there was no need to tell you.

I don't think Airbnb makes it easy with their pet fee structure, but I would clarify this on the listing to make sure that guests understand the costs for one pet as opposed to two, and also that they must let you know number of pets in advance. Perhaps that is also something you can double check on booking. Or, if you did, and the guest confirmed it was one and then simply showed up with two, that's something you needed to address on check in. 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hello @Rachael43 ,

Came across your post and wanted to make sure if you are okay!! As you mentioned that the guest would be staying for couple of months, has any sort of concerned communication been fruitful? Hope you are doing well and in a relaxed state of mind.🌻

We're happy to announce the Month of Celebration!

Can’t find what you’re searching for? start a conversation

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for responding. 

This is the short version...

Guest flushed feminine wipes in the toilet, causing dirty toilet water to back to up into the shower and overflow onto the floor.

(more drama unfolded, my new white towels I work hard at keeping clean :  ( 

The plumber saw two containers of wipes, and asked her if she was flushing the wipes, she said "no".

The plumber snaked the wipes out of the pipes from the roof of the house, the plunger had wipes inside of it from plunging the toilet.

A couple of days later, the guest said the toilet was messed up again. The guest wanted to have access to my bathroom and said she would leave for a hotel if she would not able to use my toilet. I called to schedule another service call, but the plumber could not find anything wrong with the toilet.  He said it flushed without issue. Over $600. in plumbing bills.

I have other heavy personal stuff going on at this time. I may have to block off the calendar so I can recuperate after this event time. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would immediately change the lock access for your home and remind the guest it is not acceptable for her to trespass in your home @Rachael43 

It's not clear from your post. Was she able to access the listing without going through your home?

The listing is accessed through a gate on the side of the house. The guest said the wooden gate was wet and she could not open it. 

So she went through my house..in the front door...out the back door.