Lesson learned

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

Lesson learned

I made the mistake of writing a nice review for a recent group of guests BEFORE cleaning the property.  My normal check-out procedure is to do an exit walk through with guests, especially first time Airbnb users.  This group sent me a quick message that they were leaving and left the key on the front steps.  After a quick look around, I wrote a positive review for this group.  Couple of hours later I am stripping the beds and find the white sheets in one bedroom covered with orange stains.  I'm guessing self tanning lotion.  I messaged the guests and sent a picture, asking if they can tell me what is all over my sheets.  Still have not heard back from them.   So I'm back to my original check-out procedure of doing the exit walk through and will hold off writing the review for a day or two.

Lesson learned.

11 Replies 11
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

I hear you @Linda-And-Richard0 

I now almost always leave it a good couple of days - it's amazing the things that will turn up - you'll find something broken, or something missing..

If it makes you feel any better I stuffed up more spectacularly than that on my second ever booking.

It was a group I wasn't at all worried about - elderly male lawn bowlers up for a tournament. I was certain they'd just play, drink beer, come home to sleep and do it all again.  For some reason I couldnt' go up for a couple of days after checkout. 

When I came to clean a few days later everything was as I thought it would be. They'd clearly just slept and bathed there . They'd left me a bottle of wine as a thank you which i was enormously impressed by. The beds were pretty messy - sheets everywhere, but that's fine. And they'd been quite considerate and put all the towels in the laundry tub, including a heap of beach towels, which surprised me as I didn't think they'd have time to go to the beach. I was glad I hadn't left it any longer because the tub tap had a slow drip and i knew the towels would be really wet.

With the bottle of wine in my line of vision I left a glowing review

Then I decided to tackle the washing. It wasnt' till I got up close and personal to the towels and went to lift them out of the tubs that I realised that they were sopping wet with URINE.

I stood there gagging and dry retching for some time - the smell was overwhelming.  then all I could think was "oh my GOD the beds...."  The beds were fine, but there was a set of urine soaked PJS lying on the floor under the bed...

I can't imagine how that much urine got on towels and PJ's and none at all on the sheets and linens and I really don't want to know....

(this is the second time I"ve related this story this week, so apologies for anyone reading it again)

@Rowena29  Your story wins hands down!!.  Luckily, I was able to remove the orange stains with OxyClean.  Also discovered this same group ran the dish washer on full cycle for ONE GLASS.  

Luana130
Level 10
State of Bahia, Brazil

When guests leave I do a walk around the apartment, check everything, count items. If everything is ok I send the cleaners in. But I only leave reviews after the apartment has been cleaned, because you never know what the cleaners will find that you missed. And if I think I might have a problem with a customer because of reinbursements I leave to the very last minute to do the review 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Linda-And-Richard0 Did you know that you can edit a review (up until a certain cutoff point) if the guest has not yet written one for you. 

@Emilia42  I was able to edit my review.   Marked them down for cleanliness.  I doubt the guest will leave a review.  May be too embarrassed by the situation. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I've read the opposite scenario, too. Host does a quick look-round after check-out, sees that a lamp, mirror, or whatever is missing, naturally assumes the guest took it, or broke it and threw it out with the garbage, only to find it several days later, undamaged, inexplicably stuffed in the back of a closet or behind the sofa.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

So sorry @Linda-And-Richard0 , that you broke the cardinal rule. Like @Sarah977 said, the rush to review can be problematic from many a perspective. 

Thanks @Emilia42 for reminding us about the opportunity to revise a review. I’d forgotten.... 🌻

BUT, we mere hosts @Linda-And-Richard0, are only human and a planned delay until the full clean and turn around are done, is the only safe procedure. Don’t beat yourself up! 

I once had some bright almost hi-vis orange stains on sheets that could not be removed. A loss of the sheets, was an expensive lesson. I reviewed before the washing was completed, thinking the stain would dissolve. NOPE, NYET, NEIN!  

- We all make this mistake once, before we catch on.... 👍🏼🤪

- If we make it twice, we need a solid check out / checklist and time delay for review process..🔎📸🎥🗓

Thank you everyone for some great advice for a relatively new host.  Much appreciated.  Cheers!

Betty148
Level 1
Baguio, PH

hi....indeed, lesson learned.  I am learning from it too.   Warmest regards....

Roland156
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Never too late to learn!, A few years back I had a husband and wife check in (I'm in Hollywood, CA). In my guest house in the back of the property lives an on-site property manager (2 guys) that oversee the place. The couple booked for 3 days and during that time were pleasant, communicative and even invited the managers for drinks. Never did they mention any issues or that there was a complaint. After the 3 days were up they left. We immediately gave them a kind review, damit! Shortly thereafter they requested a refund complaining of ants in the kitchen and on the beds, urine smells ( many years ago I had a cat door installed for my cat. I never removed the cat door after she passed.) 

We refused their demands. They could of brought up the issues while they were acting so nice and friendly. They never mentioned a word during the 3 days. We therefore could not verify their complaint.

It was a scam.

Because they were turned down, they wrote a terrible review. After weeks went by, I texted them to try and reverse their review with a compromise offer. They accepted but Airbnb would not delete their review. 

The moral of this story is don't be quick to write a review and better yet, you never know how you can be deceived. Be Aware! 

RK

Hollywood, CA

Lorene11
Level 1
Chino Hills, CA

Hi, I'm on my way to superhost. I started 3/4 years ago with a private room. I now have my own place/ entire apartment  on Airbnb. It's very different , I've had people take down things or unplug stuff or do things they would never normally do if I was their. 

Very very important to secure the bed I suggest a plastic zip up on the mattress and then a mattress topper then sheets. 

I also always leave oatmeal milk soda water and 

Pop tarts.