Missing Items/Broken Items

Doug793
Level 2
Leavenworth, KS

Missing Items/Broken Items

We hosted a mother and her two grown daughters last weekend. When they left, we noticed that four plastic cups were missing. I know four plastic cups sounds petty, but bare with me ....

All of our cups (wine, coffee, plastic tumblers and drinking glasses) are personalized with the logo of our property. Personalized products are affordable, when bought in bulk. But we are a small operation and only order in small quantities, so the cost per item is very high. A plastic tumbler that might cost 60 cents if bought by the thousands costs us around $3 per piece.

Some guests in the past have asked if they could buy them as souvenir. In which case, we almost always say, "just take them." But the fact that these ladies took them without asking is really bothering me. 

In addition to this, they broke a set of expensive darts. Instead of telling us about it, they just left a cheap plastic set in its place. A set that we won't use because it's cheap .. and we try to provide quality things to our guests. Had they copped up to breaking them, I really wouldn't have cared ... that is really just a cost of doing business. But they didn't say a word ... just broke the darts and took to cups without a word. Who does that?

Both of these factors combined are really eating at me because now their review is due. I am not sure how to handle it. I don't want to look petty over a few plastic cups but I also don't want them to think this is behavior is ok.  Any input from the community would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

5 Replies 5
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Doug793 

Factor into your pricing for guests with sticky fingers.  We regularly lose single serve toothbrushes with toothpaste and hotel sized barsoap..  It comes with the hospitality industry.😉

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Doug793  Yes, you are being petty. Of course people shouldn't take things without asking, but make a big deal over 4 plastic cups? Think of it as free advertising, since they have your logo on them. And while yes, they should have mentioned the broken dart set, I would imagine they assumed they were being responsible by going out and buying a new set to replace it, even if it doesn't meet your quality standards. 

Tamara170
Level 2
Cottonwood, AZ

I hear ya! I've had similar experiences with guests and it eats away at me too! I want people to hold themselves accountable and to higher standards than they do. And I need to accept that's not always the case. And, yes, these losses are a cost of doing business. 

Sofia994
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Definitely not the best practice, have you considered contacting Airbnb to claim extra charges on the guest who took items? Do you know Airbnb's policy about missing things?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Doug793   Unfortunately there are guests who think that logo glasses or mugs, especially if plastic, are there for the taking as a memento of their visit.  I used to have a full set of 8 ceramic coffee mugs with a logo on them for our cabin.  One by one they disappeared, and not because they chipped or broke.  So I don’t supply logo anything anymore.

As to the dart set, the ladies tried, but the guest is never going to replace anything broken or misused with the same quality as you provided in the first place.  

Take a deep breath.  Dealing with guests is a skin thickening learning experience.  My policy is that until the actions of the guest cost me X dollars in cleaning, replacement of items or TIME, I will just reduce stars and state “better suited to a hotel”.  Once they reach the threshold of excessive damages, my review is 1 star all around and a simple statement of “Guest was unsuitable, costly, and will not be invited back”.  Says it all.