Pet Damage

Megan1013
Level 2
Brevard, NC

Pet Damage

We are still fairly new to Air Bnb but we do allow pets and the majority of our guests bring them. We do charge a pet fee and so far everyone has been great and very respectful when it comes to their pets until now. We clean the place ourselves and came into the whole house smelling like pee. The dogs peed on all the curtains, on a chair, the floor and even the wall. Aside from the hours of extra cleaning I'm struggling with writing a review. I've never had to write a poor review and I'm also finding it hard because the guests who stayed have over eight 5 star reviews. Long story short I struggle with being mean but also want to be truthful for future hosts that they might stay with.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! 

5 Replies 5
Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

@Megan1013 Just states the facts. You can say something like:

The guests were xxx (add what you want here), but their dogs were not great guests. They lift their legs and peed on our curtains, on a chair, on the floor, and even the wall. The smell was awful.  It took hours to sanitize and clean up. 

Ted307
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Megan1013 

I agree with @Gwen386  -- please leave an honest review for these pet owners. Dog owners who let their dogs pee all over are never welcome at our Bunkhouse. It is very difficult to remove that smell! Dog owners like this are the reason that so many hosts will not accept pets.

Ted & Chris
Megan1013
Level 2
Brevard, NC

Thank you so much @Gwen386 and @Ted307  for your great feedback! 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Megan1013  I absolutely agree with @Ted307 and @Gwen386 .  Leave a short, calm and professional review to warn future hosts.  I have also taken 5* guests before to find that they have fallen far short of my expectations and having read back over the reviews left for them suspect I might have missed a few ‘hints’.  The only way to protect future hosts is to be honest and leave the appropriate star ratings.

We keep running into this issue, we have it in the Ad and we have a short term renal agreement that they specifically sign off on that no pet are allowed. Chewed up Tv remote, crap stains, hair everywhere. In review of options that air BnB offers it seems we can go through resolutions center which seems like more trouble then its worth or require a Deposit be posted upfront via Venmo or other. Theater I was requested to do for a rental in Maui. Seem legit to me but does it chase away regular guests. After all my place is not a posh place in Maui.

Thoughts?