Suspended Superhost Account for Problem Guest and No Response from support!

David6391
Level 4
Fayette, ME

Suspended Superhost Account for Problem Guest and No Response from support!

This week has been one of the most stressful weeks of my life. My pride and joy… my Airbnb dream was suspended. Probably permanently.

It has been a lifelong goal to open a small hotel. To get closer to that dream, I invested my motivation, positive energy, saved finances, and made sacrifices to create two beautiful lakeside rental properties. As a reward, I’ve been blessed with six years of extraordinary guests. I love the interactions and friendships I’ve built with my guests over the years. I have enjoyed much pleasure from making my Airbnb renters happy by providing them with a treasured and memorable experience amongst a serene and beautiful setting. Some guests cry when they leave.

No joke.

Last week a couple with only one review (who I had a bad premonition about), were the one bad apple to destroy my Airbnb business. Their profile had no photo (not good), and is a preference I require. Then came a request to bring two dogs, even though the house is pet free (guests with allergies can enjoy. I have another listing next door that’s dog friendly). The couple gave me the hard sell that their two “well behaved” canines were non barking, non-roaming, obedient, dogs. They promised the dogs would stay off the furniture, and the premises inside would be totally clean of hair and outside they would clean up the poop. Against my better judgment and my instincts screaming “no, no, no”, I reluctantly said okay to the dogs. Big mistake.

You probably already know where this is going, but there’s more for later.

Because my properties are in a very rural area with plenty of wild animals to tangle with, and these were city dogs, I required that the dogs would be on a leash at all times when they were outside. No roaming, especially because my other guests next door had two dogs, and I didn’t want any dog fights. I also directed the couple to read the pet rules for my listing next door. They obviously didn’t.

When the couple arrived, the dogs leapt out of the car unleashed, tearing around completely out of control, barking like crazy. The younger dog immediately jumped on me and nipped my hand when I pushed him off. He then ran off into the woods and wouldn’t come when called, resulting in ten minutes of chasing the dog. All this in just the first few minutes. This wasn’t going well. The wife reassured me that this chaos was temporary. It wasn’t.

Throughout the first three days there was barking. A lot of loud barking and yelping. Any time the humans were in the lake, the dogs were freaking out and barking. I should of put my foot down and stopped the barking, but didn’t. Why, I don’t know. Probably because it was a short visit, and I’m not into conflict. After the couple left on the morning of the third day, the guests from the other house confronted me and asked when the dogs were leaving. I told them the couple and their dogs were gone. Then came the stories that the trouble dogs had tried to get into the other house at least four times. Had they of been successful, it would of been a bad scene. The possibility of a dangerous dog fight starting from the roaming dogs forced my other guests to keep their sweet dogs inside. Not fair to my other guests. Not fair to the good dogs.

The couple had to repeatedly retrieve their roaming pets, and when doing so, never apologized to my other guests for the disturbance their dogs were creating. They were weird (for lack of a better word), rude, and not at all like the type of guests that stay at my cabins.

After three nights, the couple wanted to depart a day early (I think because it was raining. Btw - I don’t control the weather). They only wanted to pay for 3 out of 4 nights, and no cleaning fee. I’ve never received such a request. Most of my guests want to extend their stay because they love the cabins and setting so much. Anyway, I declined their refund request based on the fact that my booking preferences were clearly stated on Airbnb as “Strict”. Now is my peak season, and if I returned their money I would lose a day’s income. More importantly, the guests had clearly violated some of my most prioritized rules (my intuition was spot on), endangering and annoying my other Airbnb guests next door with constant and potentially aggressive visits from the dogs. Also, the white haired dog was definitely on my couch, as his hair was ingrained in the fabric. The dark haired dog was in the beds, resulting in having to wash the duvet and sheets multiple times to eliminate the dark hair. Of course there was dog poop in plain sight in my driveway.

I’m flexible and fair, but I don’t reward bad behavior… for humans or dogs.

The guests didn’t like the financial outcome of not getting their money, so they told obvious lies that escalated the case. Based on the facts I presented, Airbnb declined their refund. At that point the couple started slinging more

lies about the property and my actions as a host. They wanted that money at any cost.

In the end, Airbnb only listened to the couple’s side of the dispute with no input from me. There was no logical discussion, and my voice didn’t count… but a dishonest guest’s bs that resulted in me being booted off Airbnb, that counted. I’ll never know the what or why of the circumstances.

I knew something was up when I was locked out of the Airbnb app. I called “Superhost Support” (ha!), and was told my account was suspended. No other explanations were given, but they promised an Airbnb manager would call “within two hours”. That call never came, and I doubt it ever will. I’ll probably never know what the back story is. Airbnb is radio silent and ghosting me,  which I’m assuming is not good, and I’m probably kicked off Airbnb for not kissing the bad guest’s *ss. How unprofessional, unethical, and completely incongruent with the Airbnb mantra that “we’re here for you! Thank you for being a Superhost”.

Right.

I’ve been a Superhost for six years, with a decent rating of 4.98, and over 120 amazing reviews from the hundreds of happy guests that I’ve had the pleasure of hosting. What motivation would I have to spontaneously jeopardize the years of hard work I’ve invested to prioritize Airbnb and make my cabins one of the “Top 5 Must Stay At Lakefront Cabins” in Maine (according to an unsolicited popular article on social media that resulted in five bookings)? It doesn’t make any sense. Instead of fairness and support from Airbnb, I received a punch to the gut. I lost what has been my sole income since the pandemic started, which is a huge disaster (I’m immune compromised). Even more tragically is saying goodbye to my dream.

I have multiple new guests arriving soon to both of my listings. Without my app functioning, contact numbers, etc, how do I manage the guests? Will their vacation stay be canceled? Will the remaining bookings till November be canceled and I won’t receive that income?!!

With no one at Airbnb answering my calls and questions, what am I to do??? Man am I stressed… help please!!

43 Replies 43

@David6391 I'm sorry this is happening to you. Some types of guest complaints will automatically trigger a temporary suspension of the listing, but in this case it looks like your entire account has been blocked. Sad to say, it's actually business as usual that they shut you down without even telling you what the allegations are. With some persistence (try Twitter, etc) the suspension will eventually be lifted - these guests probably aren't clever enough to know how to get you permanently banned. But you won't get an explanation, apology, or any kind of compensation. It's strictly against Airbnb policy to admit that they screwed up.

If "Superhost" were anything but a sleazy behavior-modification gimmick, surely the most important "benefit" would be benefit of the doubt :  no actions taken against your listings or profile before a thorough investigation is complete. But instead, you get a badge and a coupon. While you're having this forced down-time, you might reconsider whether the platform is really worthy of your listing.  No matter what the outcome, you now know exactly how much they value you as a host.

Thank you @Anonymous for taking the time for your response and advice. Airbnb’s logic in handling customer complaints defies description and logic. At the end of the day, all our hard work and countless hours to build a viable and thriving business that supports the Airbnb platform, can be erased with one money-hungry guest that jumps on Airbnb and tries (and wins) to defeat all that we’ve worked for. I’m in shock at the number of people in the same predicament as I am. Are all the hosting platforms out there this blind and indiscriminate in how they mediate their guest/host relations? This has to stop!

@David6391  strangely it's only AirBNB that seems to have this issue of non-transparency. I am active on many STR social media pages. I have yet to ever hear of a VRBO host suspended without explanation. 

But then again, AirBNB is the same platform where CS informed a host she should leave her own homeshare because her guests were not comfortable with her being disabled.

https://www.indy100.com/viral/airbnb-disabled-host-doorbell-tiktok

well said. i have around 400 ratings and I have been a superhost for over 4 years and my listing has a rating of 4.92. a couple came and refused to check out on check out time, the man was in his underwear and they had the bags not packed and food everywhere. she asks to stay another half an hour and I told her we need to start cleaning the place as new guests are coming the same day. The guy started to have a foul tone and they packed their things and left. Cleaning lady later told me spoons and forks were missing so I filed for a few bucks to replace them. Lady guest goes crazy and says I should stop harassing her family (......?) and I said that the fork and spoon is missing and she probably took it because they were so mad they could not finish lunch and just stay after check out time and eat. Next thing I know, I'm suspended. I invested a lot a lot of money into this house. I never thought they would just suspend me without even talking to me. I never thought that's possible. Never build your business on this partner, they don't value you at all.

Update: After 8 years of being a superhost and 400+ ratings all my listings were suspended one morning and I was not informed or contacted in regards of the reason.

There was no one I could talk to and this was a very frustrating and concerning experience. I do not think this is a great way of handling it. There should be at least a message or an email saying that a guest had complained and that within x days someone will contact you to review the case. Right now, it's just no information at all. And reading through the comments here, you could easily get the idea that your entire airbnb career is over. In some cases, this may have severe impacts on the financial situation and for that reason I believe it would be fair to keep the superhosts or any host in fact more in the loop about what's going on behind the scenes.

However, about 10 days later I received a call from airbnb and I received the chance to explain what I believed could have been the issue. 24 hours later my account and all listings were restored. In my case, a guest didn't check out and tried to stay longer and when I had to tell them to leave they filed a report that I accessed the property without their consent, which was simply a fabrication made to damage me for not letting them check out late.

My advice to you if your accounts are suspended is that you relax and think if you made a mistake. If you have not made a mistake, I'm pretty sure airbnb will realise that and support you.  They call you and listen to you and it just takes them (in my case) 10 days to get to your case and then about 24 hours to review it. 

Maybe I was lucky, but my faith in airbnb has been restored. I felt it was important to tell this to the community as well.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Rafael1371 Great to hear everything was resolved for you, thank you so much for coming back to share the outcome of this with us!

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@David6391   Keep trying with Airbnb, try messaging them on social media as well.

@Quincy  @Catherine-Powell  maybe you could help.  And, Catherine, you've been saying for months, if not years, that 'your team' is looking into improving transparency for cases like this.  It cannot be difficult to tell a host why they have been suspended or delisted and give them an opportunity to provide their side of the case.  There is no excuse for this to happen over and over again except that for whatever reason, Airbnb wants it this way.

@Mark116  Thank you for this advice, as well as forwarding my message. If new hosts knew the potential for their business to be ruined overnight by one fraudulent guest claim, I think they would seriously reconsider hosting a property on Airbnb. I guess the attrition from the issue I experienced isn’t high enough to trigger a cascade of red flags and change Airbnb’s policy for dealing with guest/host disputes. “A sucker born every minute”… maybe there are enough new hosts to go around to quickly fill the void created by being deplatformed. If a proper resolution isn’t provided by Airbnb, and I sincerely doubt they will, I think it’s my calling to educate local hosts and potential hosts about the pitfalls and hidden rules & actions that plague Airbnb. I mean what else can I do with my downtime besides research new hosting platforms and solutions? Maybe I can save a few people from making the same mistakes as I did. Education is power.

Man, oh man… Airbnb could of made disputes so much easier than this dumpster fire I’m experiencing.

Thank you for the support everyone. I’ll keep trying…

Suzanne984
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Im sorry you are going through this. Allot of hosts are afraid to put their foot down or say no to guests due to fear of bad reviews. I hope your account gets unrestricted.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Catherine-Powell 

Also tagging you here again in addition to @Mark116 .

We are seeing reports of this outrageous treatment towards hosts every week (sometimes several times. week) on the CC, and I imagine that there are many other hosts who don't use the CC and experience this, so who knows how widespread this is.

It needs to STOP. It's not an occasional error or blip. It's a policy. A policy to treat even the best of hosts as guilty until proven innocent, but often the host is not given any chance to prove their innocent, let alone any kind of apology or compensation when the 'trust and safety' department, if that's what they are still called, realises that the guest's claim is bogus.

As head of hosting, I would hope you would treat this as a serious issue. What is being done about it?

@Gordon0 

@Anonymous 

@Catherine-Powell 

My sincere thanks @Huma0  for taking the time to address this serious and needless issue I’m experiencing. I never have dealt with PTSD, but I’m beginning to feel like I have.

The silence/ghosting is the worst part. This is the second time I’ve received this treatment. The first was when I returned from living in Vietnam. Airbnb couldn’t verify my identity here in the US, thought I was a hacker or something, and dropped me like a hot potato right in the middle of my busiest part of the season. My guests were frantically calling me and telling me my two listings were deleted, and so was their summer vacation. It was over a week of hell for me, and no one at Airbnb could tell me what the issue was, how to rectify the situation (if at all), and what my status was. I blew up social media for a week, and surprise, surprise… a local Airbnb rep got back to me to

apologize for the “misunderstanding” on their end, and that they would reinstate my listings. Pure hell it was.

My most recent issue’s timeline:

- Friday guest sends text message (not phone call as recommended) that she wants to leave a day early and wants a refund for last day + cleaning fee. I’m hiking and don’t get text.

- Saturday morning guests departs and leaves message on Airbnb saying she “needs to hear back from me” regarding refund.

- Saturday pm I deny refund based on my

booking preferences and the atrocious and destructive behavior by the guest. Guest immediately escalates her claim (gives misleading and erroneous statements) and I get booted off Airbnb. I spend an hour and multiple calls with “Superhost Support” call center (in the Philippines). I get nowhere with the good-natured reps reading from scripts, but I’m reassured that a manager will handle the situation and get back to me in two hours. Not.

- Sunday is more calls to SH Support and more promises. Midnight Sunday I get a call back to inform me that Airbnb sided

with me and I don’t have to cough up $450. I feel vindicated.

- Unbeknownst to me, the guest goes back to (Airbnb) and escalates further. They want their $$$. Who knows what erroneous claims were made.

- Wednesday I try to log into the app, and notice that my listings have been deleted. I call super host support again, and find out I’ve been suspended, and that they can’t tell me anymore. I asked to be connected with a manager, and they promised me that one will get back to me shortly. Of course that doesn’t happen.

- Thursday 10pm. Chris from the (Airbnb) safety team informs me via email that something I did triggered a mandatory suspension, and that my case would be looked at and possibly all further bookings would be canceled and I would be dropped on the platform. Of course I was asleep at the time and saw these emails this morning. Chris went on to say that he’s out of the office till September 3  (my birthday btw), and that he’ll call me then to hear “ my side of the story“. In the meantime he advised me to “ check out some articles in our help section“. Great.

Is this any way to treat a highly regarded super host, let alone any good host on Airbnb? And why are hosts constantly being subjected to this type of unethical and unprofessional business practice of “guilty until proven innocent”. As it was said in this thread… this has to STOP!

@Huma0  

"What is being done about it?"

Nothing. 
Absolutely nothing.

Remember the forum here on the CC where we were supposed to be able to communicate, share ideas, provide feedback and actually get answers from The Authorities? And then they took it away, but promised something better (that never materialized)? 

Why did they take the Host Voice away? 
Because The Authorities don't want to hear our voices. 

They still don't.

Trust and Safety is a farce.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie365 

I believe you are absolutely right. They do not want to hear our voices. One could still question why Airbnb would suspend perfectly good hosts (often resulting in cancelling guests) so often. It doesn't seem in their best interests. 

However, Susan (who was banned from the CC) suggests that Airbnb is deliberately culling their pool of individual/small scale/traditional hosts because they do not fit the direction that the company is heading. 

The banning of members here on the CC also suggests that there is little interest in hearing our voices. There are plenty of trolls that they could ban, but they seem to focus in on those whose voices are the loudest (and often clearest) and most listened to.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If only the likes of @Catherine-Powell knew how this sort of stunt makes hosts feel, @David6391, but I suspect we'll just need to read similar stories every week because the 'we're sharing your feedback' line we sometimes hear rarely seems to cut the mustard. After all, there's always another host to pick up the slack. This is a numbers game.