Suspicious guest inquiries

Karen3489
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

Suspicious guest inquiries

Does Airbnb have a lot of people trying to scam hosts?

I just posted my first listing and received three inquiries right away asking if available.  I messaged each of them back and let them know that yes it's available and approving them to proceed to book if they are still interested. Since then, each one has responded with just really vague comments, such as,  "My dates are flexible and match your dates." Another gave me their What's app number if I was "sincere" about renting to contact them on there? Wtf. If this is what airbnb is like I can do this on Craiglist. I feel like I just wasted A LOT of my time, so discouraging. What am I doing wrong to attract these types of people?

I also got a Chinese speaking inquiry which I have no problem with but if we can't communicate, how do I know they aren't trying to scam me as well? I responded by asking if they would be able to read and sign my House Rules if they are written in English and they replied with "I don't understand but I have a translator."   Yet they did not answer my question.

All three inquiries have zero previous stays and zero reviews and just joined Airbnb this month.

20 Replies 20
Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

@Karen3489 

This is what happens these scammers target new host but we all get them, sending whats app numbers, here where I live we get other agents wanting to do business off line.

Personally I dont ask a load of questions I have IB switched on book or not,

Good luck 

Thanks for the response @Sudsrung0 and confirming my suspicions. It is discouraging but at least I know to be cautious. Hopefully I will see legitimate interest soon.

@Karen3489 

I think at the moment in America lots of people are struggling for bookings we see the same questions asked on here in in FB groups.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Karen3489  Unfortunately new hosts are often targeted by scammers who have no real identity, no reviews and no pictures.  They ask for long rentals, usually over several months, and want to communicate off of the AirBnB platform through other means, like Whatsapp.

As a new host, you may want to turn off IB until you are more comfortable with the guests that you attract.  If you do have IB turned on, set your Instant book requirements to the most secure requirements (see picture).  Second, push out your acceptance window and do not take guests on the same day as they message.  Do not take guests for one night until you are comfortable with the process.  

Scammers will want you to communicate off platform, will want to pay with a bogus check from their "employer", will want to stay for mulitiple months, etc.  Not all guests are scammers -- there are genuine people out there, but as a new host, stay alert and simply don't accept any reservation that makes you uncomfortable.

instantbook.jpg

This is really good to know. Thank you, Lorna. I have been wondering what their game is and what they are hoping to get out of it. I will definitely keep all communication and payment within airbb messaging. It sounds like IB is a good screening tool and I will look into it.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Karen3489  you have great instincts to be wary of these inquiries! and dont' worry, it's usually just for newbie hosts. 

Joelle43
Level 10
Cannes, France

Hello @Karen3489 

Your post brings brings me back to when I first started hosting on Airbnb last year!  Like you, I had requests from people who had no profile, no comments, had joined the same month and I was a newbie so not sure of myself or of all Airbnb rules.  I actually host in France, in Cannes but no matter where you are, these scammers know you've just started on Airbnb and as such, you are more likely to make mistakes and are eager to get their first guests to obtain the holy grail comments.

I remember spending frantic phone calls to the Airbnb helpline and ended up reporting a number of people who wanted to meet me to book directly etc.  One particular "young lady" switched to another profile after I had refused her request to book and then proceeded to insult me profusely when I realised it was her again.  She got reported and Airbnb sent me an email saying that they were taking the matter further.  I also blocked her and a few others and they can no longer contact me.  Problem solved!

So whatever you do don't give up, have faith in your listing and in yourself, take the Instant Book off until you find your feet and personally I never send a pre-approval to someone who has no comments or profile.  I like to know who is coming to stay so before accepting them I ask them routine questions and try to get to know a bit about their group and their reason for staying.  I also ask them to read and accept my house rules that I send via the message system to be sure that my listing suits them.  No point in having someone staying if it's not what they're looking for or if they think they can party!  

So did I have a great first season last year with lovely guests and again this summer?  Yes!  (I rent from May to September by the way and then lease long term in between but not on Airbnb)  I also increased my prices slightly and these scammers have disappeared.  Not one this year!  

I'm sure you've researched a lot on internet on how to host and what to watch out for?  I have learnt that the Airbnb community (be-it the French one or the US one)  is a great way of learning the ins and outs of hosting from more experienced hosts.

You mention having trouble corresponding with a Chinese guest - I had this issue with a Russian guest too! However, on our message system there is a button we can click on that translates the text in our language and it is pretty good I think.  You write in your favoured language and it gets translated back and vice versa.  I hope you find it.

Anyway, i wish you well Karen and things will get easier:)

Joëlle

Thank you Joelle for taking the time to reply and give me advice and tips. It is so appreciated. I have been reading everything I can in the online help but it is much more reassuring and helpful to speak to real people and other hosts. I am glad I found this community page. I will report these profiles. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Karen3489  The 'cant speak english' ones are often students trying to get cheap digs and undercut your price because you are new and have a discount. They generally want long term and are trying to get you to go off platform .The others are scammers who prey on newbies. We all get them. I am sure a genuine guest will turn up shortly . You seem to have your 'radar' turned up loud and clear so you will know. All the best H

Are there any host scamming 

@Alexis709  If you find one report them. Have you experienced that yourself ?. Airbnb is the place to report, many people complain about hosts all the time both to them and about them , but there are rules and regulations followed by most hosts, but there can be an exception , but few people set up Airbnbs in their own homes to scam people because that would mean that they would lose their businesses. H

Deirdre149
Level 1
Pleasantville, NY

We launched our property in 3 months ago & received our first "scam".  A couple wanted to rent 4 bedroom house for 3 months (our slow season) with potential to rent for another 3 (our busy season which we wouldn't do). They said they would be in town this weekend and would like to see the property which we've heard is a scam where they are looking for the address to potential rob the house.  We've had about 15-20 bookings/inquiries, and this is the first sketchy one.

We rely on Airbnb. We always respond through them, never directly with a guest at first. Your site calendar is always available, updated and accessible through the Airbnb site. You can tell your inquiring guest that. Never communicate through any other source, nor book a reservation otherwise.  If they are new to Airbnb, be inquisitive. Ask questions about their reason for traveling, who is coming with them. Always, when there is an inquiry to book, review a guest's profile, how long they have been a member with Airbnb, how often they travel. Review all host reviews, when available (hosts, please be honest and forthcoming). If they write they are coming for an event, conference, etc., you can ask them to tell you about their plans before booking. Make certain your host house rules are explicit. Call the Airbnb host ambassador when in doubt. They will give you suggestions and direction about how to proceed. And they can call a potential guest for you to review the inquiry. Never accept a reservation you feel uneasy about. Yes, absolutely, we have our Airbnb's to supplement income. But your God given senses will prevent you from making a bad decision. That is worth more than the money.

I don't know if you will see this but I really appreciate your comments. So just confirming, you would NOT accept a reservation outside Airbnb app for a discounted rate, correct? They are giving me a good "story" and it's tempting bc I want to help them. Call or text me if you can.