Would you refund? Guest is NOT requesting one

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

Would you refund? Guest is NOT requesting one

Hi everyone! I have a guest that booked for 6 days, checks out tomorrow. She called me at 6:30 am this morning, I answered immediately. She was hearing noises upstairs, likely in the attic. I have a rural listing and it’s possible a squirrel or raccoon got in the attic (it cannot get inside) but it has happened one time before where a raccoon was in the crawl space (not inside). no guests were there then though. 

I told her she didn’t have to be scared, i would call pest control at 8 am as soon as they opened. 30 mins later however, she was scared enough to call the police to come check it out. 

she is okay now, told me she planned to hang out at the house today and she was okay with the guys coming in to check it out. She also didn’t indicate she didn’t plan to stay tonight.

Should I refund her at least one night for all the trouble and her being scared/worried? I feel awful about it but I honestly did everything I could to fix it and thought I had taken strong measures to keep this from happening. Thank you for your input!! 

13 Replies 13
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Marissa160 she called the police for  squirrel in the attic??

No. No refunds for insane behaviors. 

@Laura2592  thank you as always for your response! 

@Marissa160 I would also say something in my review like:

"So and so was a very sweet guest and I felt really badly that she was frightened by a bird or squirrel that got into the attic briefly  and alerted the police.  We hope she had a comfortable stay otherwise. Left our place clean and was respectful of our rules. (If true.) We wish we were onsite hosts as we would have been better able to allay her anxiety about the wildlife in our area."

This alerts other hosts that this person is a bit more high maintenance than your average guests but doesn't blast her. Any host reading that who accepts her will know what they were in for.  Up to you how you rate her. I'd probably do low stars on communication because really you offered to solve this issue and she called the cops! Do you want to recommend her or host her again? That's something to think about.  

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Marissa160 

Personally, I would not refund. These things happen and if she took it to the extreme with panic and worry then that's on her. Had the animal gotten inside the house and wreaked havoc then that's a different story. 

What was the police officer's response?

@Emilia42  He was in and out in 2 mins. He lives only a few houses away so I am sure they will be amused by this for a couple days : )  

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marissa160  There is nothing about this that warrants a refund. A guest being scared of something isn't your responsibility and throwing money at them doesn't in any way change them having been scared. Nor do I see in what way she was inconvenienced. A different guest  might have paid it no mind.

And people shouldn't book rural properties if they are so easily spooked and don't realize there is wildlife around.

@Sarah977  thank you! I suspected I was being too quick to offer a refund but since I’m new, I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing and being a great host. 

@Marissa160  I think the we hosts should make a distinction between the term refund and  discount. 

If I buy a dress and all the seams rip out the first time I wash it, I'm going to take it back to the store with the receipt and request a refund. They take back the dress, I get my money back.

If I see a dress that I like in a store, but notice that a few of the buttons are almost falling off, or missing, I might ask if they would be willing to give me a discount, as it isn't in perfect shape and I will need to do some work on it. 

If a guest has a 5 day booking, but the hot water heater goes on the blink on day 2, and the guest is without hot water for 8 hours before you can get it repaired, that would warrant a discount, perhaps the equivalent of one night. The guest has been inconvenienced by the lack of an offered amenity.

If the guest finds the lack of hot water to be a deal breaker, and wants to cancel  and leave, then what they get is a refund for days not stayed.

A refund is something given and received for something not used anymore. A discount is an acknowledgment and offering for a legitimate inconvenience.

It seems there are a lot of guests these days who think they deserve "refunds" if there is some little  thing amiss. And hosts who are quick to give refunds to try to ward off a bad review. There's a psychological difference in perception and in reality between a refund and a discount, IMO. 

Like the fallen apart dress, when I get a refund, that's in exchange for the dress, which will no longer be in my possession. If a guest gets a "refund", it should be in exchange for them not staying. If they choose to stay but are inconvenienced, what is offered should be called a discount. It's a subtle difference, but it is a difference.

@Marissa160 

It is one of the perks of a country stay to hear some little animal's feet crossing the roof or the attic. In the cities a squirrel in the park is fascinating and beautiful, or "cute" while on the roof or in the attic, the same little being is frightening? No extra charge for the entertainment!

@Kitty-and-Creek0  thank you for helping! I appreciate it as always!

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Marissa160 

NO REFUND.

Stupidity is not free.

@Brian2036 LOL! This hosting thing is hard! I will get the hang of it eventually. 

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Marissa160  Thanks! I was just going to ask when you guys do give a refund. But this is very well explained. Thank Marissa

Groetjes Katja