What should a guest do before they leave re: cleaning/tidying?

Answered!
Jill41
Level 1
Hove, United Kingdom

What should a guest do before they leave re: cleaning/tidying?

I have just had a guest who left unwashed crockery, one of the toilets was disgusting, wet towels everywhere, duvets on floor, gas hob thick with grease and dirty greasy kitchen surfaces. I wrote a neutral review saying they were friendly and communicated well before the hosting. I choose to let him know privately that I was surprised at how the apartment was left but made it friendly and offering understanding if there had been a problem but I got this back

'Did you really expect us to clean the house before leaving? I think you don't even know what kind of service you are offering. Airbnb is about renting your house as a Hotel, It is not like couch surfing, where people do it for free. I paid more than 400 € for only 3 nights in your old apartment and after that amount of money, that is almost a robbery for the quality of the flat, you are cheeky enough to tell me about the cleaning? You are charging almost a half monthly salary for only 3 nights, you must be able to clean it after all. We didn't break anything, but as you should understand like when I go to a hotel I don't care about tidying or cleaning, because I don't have to do it. .....the house full of boxes everywhere, and the bathrooms were pretty dirty when we came in. So please, stop saying bull**bleep**, take your money that you probably don't even pay taxes for that and this business is totally under the table and don't text me again. I will tell you again just to make it clear, when you pay such a crazy amount of money for a renting, you don't have to clean after being in the house, you must take care like we did and don't break anything.'

The apartment is professionally cleaned in between each guest and the bathrooms are spotless so he has lied about that. I don't charge a cleaning fee. There are no boxes laying around and there is no smell - so my question is this - how should a guest be expected to leave a rental? Everyone else who has stayed has said the apartment is really clean and have left it fine. I expect to have to clean but not this level, am I expecting too much from my guests? 

He left me a great review.

Thanks for any advice so i can put it on my hosting:)

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Airbnb has Ground Rules for guests, which details the reasonable cleaning a guest should do when staying in a Hosts listing. You can see more here: Ground rules for guests

Thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

202 Replies 202
Des3
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I completely agree.

I meant to add that the only time I’m annoyed is when gyrstvlesve damage, or mess that requires professional cleaning, like stuff on the carpets etc. 

Also, one group smoked on the balcony, and emptied the ashtray in the bin. My flat is open plan and it took an entire day to get rid of the smell. I didn’t mention it as they were elderly, had young children, left everything else spotless, so I thought it was just an oversight.

I should add, I’ve been a guest and host, so see it from both sides.

Des

Thanks nicki68 for your thoughts.  I've been hosting for almost 8 years, with over 400 sets of guests, and use AirBnB when i travel as well.  Like you, i use "LEAVE IT AS YOU FOUND IT" as my guide.   (and have often left places cleaner than when we arrived, only because i'm a stickler for clean floors, and surfaces).  

As a host i do not charge a cleaning fee, b/c i don't want anyone thinking they can leave "x" dollar amount of mess, since they've paid for it.   Our house is meticulously cleaned between visits - when i have someone else clean, it typically costs me $120-140 USD, depending on how long it takes.  And most people do (try to) abide to the "leave it as you found it".  I have separate instructions all guests receive when they book, that tell them how to handle waste, dishes (we just ask they're left clean on the counter or in the dishwasher), wet towels, etc.   SEldom have we needed to withhold $ for abuse - i think 3 times, and 2 of those were  parties of young guys (West Point Cadets, at that) who slept way past check out too. 

my not charging a cleaning fee (and instead figuring it into the listed fee) does put me at a disadvantage when it comes to people browsing the site for a place to stay; if they don't delve deep enough to pull up the cleaning fees, ours seems way more expensive others.   so i'm almost reconsidering.

PS i have a situation now where it seems someone ate a pizza in bed (all white sheets) with the grease going through even to the mattress pad.  I've been treating the stains, & will try hydrogen peroxide in the sun today.  If to no avail, and because of our  "no eating upstairs in the bedrooms" rule, i am tempted to charge them for the loss of our bedding, and honestly, i think i'd be within my right to charge them for extra time, if i do get the stains out.  Why should i spend my time on a mess uncaring piggy people make?   

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi@Nicki68,

I agree it's very frustrating to get a negative comment from a host when you feel that communication was not clear. It was not really very appropriate of her to put this in the public feedback (IMO). 

I think your idea of airbnb providing guidnce for guests ( and also hosts for that matter) is an excellent one - BUT it woudl probably have to be generic - as each host has such a different expectation - as you have seen from these threads. 

EVen though I can completley uderstand how much it irks you ( it would really irk me too) try not to let it get to you.  All your other reviews are lovely and glowing and by now this review has slipped down the list. Also your response was diplomatic and reasonable and put her complaint into perspective. Future hosts will look at all of that, as well as the lovely reivews you leave yourself, and make their own informed opinion.  If you had IB'd my place I would look at all that adn not be remotely worried about hosting you - I could easily see what had happened and realise that you were an excellent guest.  Hosts are used to the idea of  horror guests who leave unfair reviews, so we are also empathic to guests who have recieved an unfair assessment from a host. POSSIBLY it might be worth your while to say to future hosts "what are your checkout expectations?" if there is no manual,  to absolutely cover yourself, but really I'm sure that in a few weeks this will seem like a very minor bump in the road. I do agree with @Sarah977 though, that a $40 cleaning fee is VERY  low and i can sort of understand that for that - which probalby only really covers the cost of laundry, the host thought you would do a few more chores, BUT she should have stipulated - absolutely! Honestly though, no future host is going to think  you are disrespectful.  Hope you continue to enjoy your holiday - sounds great!

Saumya4
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Is a guest supposed to clean the dishes even after we have paid a cleaning fees? Got a bad review for leaving dirty dishes on the kitchen rack. The dishes were actually washed, but not dried.

@Saumya4  Yes, you are expected to wash your dirty dishes (drying them doesn't seem necessary to me, but every host has different expectations and rules that they should make clear to guests).

Cleaning fees at an Airbnb are meant to cover heavy duty cleaning- vacuuming, dusting, washing floors, cleaning and sterilizing the bathroom, washing the bedding and towels, making the beds, putting out fresh soap, toilet paper, etc, for guests.

Cleaning fees are not intended to cover personal maid service- guests are expected to clean up their own personal messes- wash the dishes, wipe the counters, clean the stovetop if you've made it dirty, make sure all the garbage is in the bin or taken out, depending on the check-out instructions, not leave food or food containers or half-filled cans of soda laying around.

Nicky114
Level 1
Brazos Bend, TX

I can understand tidying up after yourself, as well as cleaning the common areas you use as you use them.

To clean the place before you leave is ludicrous. Most Airbnb's are as much as motels. You should not have to clean up your own room when you leave. The money spent should be for cleaning the room before and after. 

I mean if I went to a hotel and they said there is a cleaning fee I would say get another guest. This is your business not the renters. If you go to a restaurant and pay for a meal you don't go clean the kitchen or your table area do you.

Get with it people. You make the money so you should work for the money.

Seyedali1
Level 1
Adelaide, Australia

As a guest who makes sure everywhere is reasonably tidy and clean I had a very negative review to my surprise by my recent host. It was a small studio in Paris rented by a girl. It was her second time renting the property. We stayed there for 7 days and it was super clean at the time of check-in. At the time of checkout, we washed all the dishes, cleaned tabletops, made the bed that we used our own spare bedsheet for, gathered and put out the rubbishes, and organized her studio. The only part which needed vacuuming and mopping was the floor. Since we found the studio in a great condition, we bought her some local sweets as a gratitude at the checkout. Now I regret what I did. It was actually my wife's idea as I do not like treat people with irrational kindness without knowing them.

She left this cm after our checkout: "Very kind and polite people. But very disappointed by the condition of the apartment at their departure."

I asked her in a private msg to explain what made her disappointed. But she did not answer. What the ***** are some hosts thinking to themselves? Do they expect us to mop their floors or dry clean their linens at the time of checkout? That is beyond my imagination? Who the **** would mop your floor when you charge them the rent of a month for just 7 days stay?  

wow! no you should not have to mop the floor or wash the linens... cleaning after yourself such as rinsing dishes  or pots you used and putting them in the dishwasher makes sense. But doing a thorough clean up? You should not have to if you paid for cleaning fee. 

Rebekah102
Level 1
Tulsa, OK

I’m a bit confused as to the cleaning fee. My recent stay was charged this amount: 

Price breakdown
$106.00 x 3 nights$318.00
Cleaning fee$69.00
Service fee$49.92
Occupancy taxes and fees$56.12
When I received the paperwork I find out I’m supposed to take out the trash? Clean the hot tub? None of this was mentioned. During our stay, we couldn’t sleep because the bed was so squeaky it made loud noises with every move. The 2nd night of our stay, the neighbors that were staying in the attached airbnb villa threw a party and we could hear their music and comments about ’**bleep**ing on the couch.’ 
The bed was listed as a California King, it is definitely a Queen size bed. The tv was listed to have Roku, it did not. And lastly, WiFi wouldn’t work. I’ve contacted airbnb during the stay, and waiting on their response regarding a refund. 
Total (USD)Will process in 2 payments$493.04
Des3
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

I’d have contacted the host and Airbnb and asked to be moved

I am a host, and include a cleaning fee (which goes direct to the cleaner, all other fees I calculate in my nightly fee), as without this, short stays make little economical sense.

This only cleaning I ask guests to do, us take the rubbish with them when they leave. This is mainly due to the smell, especially if they’ve cooked a lot, have dirty nappies and emptied the ashtray on the balcony into the bin.

Longer stays qualify for one or two mid stay cleans and linen changes, free of charge.

Its important to read the terms of booking and house rules to set expectations. Because of this, I will not allow instant bookings, and before I agree a booking, ask that guests confirm they’ve read my rules. I don’t want party people, and neither do my neighbours.

The last thing I want is unhappy or disgruntled guests.

I’m on a few other sites, and guests rarely read the rules, which as a host, I’m not responsible for.

In terms of the service fee and taxes, these don’t go to the host, so it’s unfair to include them in your calculations. All of these would’ve been quoted prior to booking, so it’s a bit late to complain about them after your stay.. With respect, didn’t you read anything about the stay?

It looks to me like you’ve learned a valuable lesson - buyer beware.

Ashley850
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

I guess im a bit confused.  I am currently staying at a place that is 240 a night in orlando (a bit on the expensive side ) but I am being charged a 180 dollar cleaning fee.  While I have washed all the towels, swept and will put my dirty dishes in the dish washer and wipe everything down and take out the trash.  can see why people would expect the host to do everything.  180 is a steep cleaning fee and I don’t see how hosts can charge this and still expect guests to clean things.  

You all say treat the house as if it were a friend of family member but a friend or family member wouldn’t charge you a 180 dollar fee 

@Ashley850, honestly, as a host and a guest, I can understand your feeling. If the cleaning fee is too high, the feeling among guests is that one shouldn't have to do all that. I don't know what the place looks like or how big it is, etc, but the $180 does seem high for a cleaning fee for me. The cost of cleaning is not cheap though. I pay around $100-$120 per each booking and sometimes more to have my place cleaned. My cleaners charge $30 per hour per cleaner, so really $60 per hour, so keep that in mind.

I would just tidy up and leave things decent, so you get a good review from the host and next time, maybe look for a place that is a bit more relaxed. 

Good luck to you! 

I agree. I always tidy up and am a bit OCD with 5 kids so I clean as we go and just do touch ups as we leave. Not mopping but sweeping and wiping everything down.  
The cleaning fee didn’t bother me but I was just pointing out to some of these hosts why guests would feel that way. If you are paying 180 dollars for cleaning (a 3 bedroom 2 bath townhome) then you should expect it to be left a bit messier than someone who doesn’t charge or charges 35 dollars.  

@Ashley850, I agree completely. I think as a business model for that particular host, he should lower that, as the feeling of guests would be what you have expressed. 

Wow, that's a hefty charge but it really does vary with each rental - if it's a super posh place then yes, I suppose I can see a cleaning fee being equivalent of maybe one night's rent.

Sometimes hosts put a big cleaning fee on to encourage longer stays so it might be that.  

"I have washed all the towels"

Wow, that's definitely more than I'd expect from a guest.  You can come and stay with us here in lovely Cornwall, UK any time.