New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250

Yes how will do it im new to airbnb, you can help

Rebecca44
Level 4
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well, you've got your listing up, I guess. So Airbnb members who want to travel to your country will look at the listings for Sri Lanka, and if they like your place, they will get in touch with you. It's nice to talk here as part of the Airbnb community, but the business side of it goes on separately where guests will see what you can offer and contact you if they are interested. See what I mean?

Rebecca44
Level 4
Bristol, United Kingdom

I just took a look at your listing and it looks really cool, and you've got some great photos up, and the one of elephants is terrific. Did you have a particular problem that you wanted some support with?

I don't know where the travels board is, or even what it is I'm afraid. Someone else might be able to help you with that. 

I"M FROM CA

Keith0
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

Hello world!

We've been hosting for four years and love it (or... at least 90% of the time, we love it). I also help manage other host's Airbnbs in Canada, Italy and Japan and have a newsletter, Optimal Hosting, to help hosts maximize their listings.

Until now I've been the moderator/organizer of the Calgary group and am now looking forward to how this new community format will work.

Favorite city - to live and raise a family, Calgary. But my heart has two homes - San Francisco where I lived as a child and Paris, where I lived when I was seventeen, alone broke and speaking no french. Hemingway was right - it is a movable feast. So, I am pumped for the Open in November. tick tock...

Love and hugs and happy hosting to all!

--

Keith

@Keith0 Brave souls venture out and will be forever changed by the journey's experiences 🙂

Hosting since Thanksgiving Day 2012 and over 1,000 stays. May you ever be the benevolent ruler of your own domain--YOUR life. Allow no other to rule over it.
Ana6
Level 1
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Keith, I am in Toronto and started hosting in September and love it still at (98% of the time). I'm interested to know how you help manage other host's Airbnbs? How can I sign up for your newsletter?

Ana

Hi Ana,

Hello from Calgary where we are basking in plus 3 sunshine!

Thank you for the question. Very glad you are enjoying hosting - 98% is pretty good. You know how people say things like "follow your bliss" and "if your job is what you love than you never have to work?" I read recently that even those people who are doing exactly what they love, 30% of what they do is kind of a drudgery. So 98% is pretty fantastic.

A couple of years ago when Airbnb became a central part of our financial lives, my wife and I made a pact: whenever we felt that our house was no longer our home, that we were uncomfortable in our own home; we would change something - stop hosting for a while, get out of town, do something. Since we made that deal we have not had that horribly uncomfortable feeling.

What I do for other hosts really ranges from keeping them up to date on Airbnb changes that may affect them to full service, turn-key. Full service rates are usually 20% of the gross plus a set cleaning fee. 

In between those two extremes I offer  range of services from site, competition, pricing and listing analysis and recommendations ($200) to guest communications - screening, booking, pre check-in letter, check-up during stay, pre check-out letter and post check out follow up. (5% of gross) Everything focusses on setting and maintaining expectations and ensuring the best possible guest experience driving towards the goals that the host and I have set. Examples of goals may be longer average stays of a targetted duration, targetted higher average revenue per stay, goals for 5 star reviews, etc.

Everything is based on the host's budget, break-even points and individual financial requirements. 

I am also a trained proof reader and editor and it is amazing the difference proper English grammer makes to some listing's responses.

All that is very general. We can get into specifics as we go forward. Each Airbnb is unique and each host's needs are unique. How I help depends on the host's situation.

To subscribe to my newsletter, Optimal Hosting, just send your email address. I will send you a sample issue and put you on the list (free!). I am hopeing to have the first post Airbnb Paris Open newsletter next week, but business has been extremely busy since we returned from Paris, so I am running behind.

--

Keith

Hello Keith: I have never been on a forum before so I hope I'm doing this right!

A couple of things: love the quote about "Moveable Feast" (since I included a bit from Hemingway's book in my book about Paris—one of my all-time favorite places as well) and see you help manage other airbnbs so I thought you might be a good resource.

I am a host and user of Airbnb looking for part time work (I am a writer not a millionaire and the rent keeps going up!) so thought I'd reach out to hosts in NYC (where I live) to see if they need someone to do some managing . . . but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

Do you have any suggestions?

Best,

Chris

Hello Christopher,

Very intrigued by your writing. What is the book's title?

Regarding managing, I manage, to varying degrees, 11 properties in Canada and Italy.  My role varies from being an emergency contact to all inclusive, tip to toe.  So I offer a whole range of services depending on the host's needs.

So I am wondering what you mean by 'managing, ' What is the service or services you plan to  offer?

Quickly scanning your profile and your amazing California listing, I see one review as a host and several reviews as a guest, all examplary. 

I will try to be helpful in any way I can.

--

Keith

Hello Keith:

The book is called "Paris, Wish You Were Here" (available through Amazon—if they still have any!) 🙂

So, I'm mostly thinking about meet-and-greet and anything hosts who are not local need like letting the plumber in or getting keys made or delivered, or I'd say most anything the owner needs. I'm not a maid service or a handyman, but I can do some things. And I can supervise these people and/or make sure the place looks good either before or after a guest. I could do an inventory (or keep an eye on it and make sure to replace broken glasses or dishes), I could water the plants, I could make sure the internet is working . . . 

I'm local and reliable (and known in the neighborhood) and have a good record on Airbnb! (And, like I say, I'm a writer not a millionaire, so I could use the extra money and thought this might be better than working at Whole Foods or in a boring office.

(I think) I put a post on the NY group (though I'm not quite sure what that even means or who looks at it) . . . but any advice you have would be appreciated!

Excellent, Christopher - both the book and your managing idea.

I call the services you plan to offer "Check in/check out" and "Person on the ground".  Both are useful for remote hosts and hands-off hosts.

I am both a remote host and a "Person on the ground" for remote hosts. If you are hosting remotely, you set up everything possible to be automatic and, where possible automated and automagic - check-in, communications, cleaning. But you always need back-up and back-up plans invariably fail. So a remote host always needs a "person on the ground." Always.

If you have the flexibility, and you have the team to back you up - the reliable handy person and the reliable back-up to the reliable handy-person, you will be offering a valuable service.

So how do you find these remote hosts? Yes, the New York group is a very good place to start. This Community Centre has a New York section. Don't first post a note telling people what you do. First read every post and find out what people need. 

Go to every meet-up you can and get involved. 

Start by listening, learning and helping. If you start by saying here is what I do and here are my rates, most hosts are gonna yawn and think, someone else trying to feed off me.

Get to know people. Get to know the people who know the people. It won't be long before you are a known person, if this really is right for you - your skill set, your temprament and your needs.

You re starting a new business. You will have false starts and slow starts. But every host needs a trustworthy, reliable 'person'. - the remote host and the hands-off host, and also the non remote host, non hands-off host who wants to travel and take a break. Every host is potentially a customer.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

Keith

Hey Keith:

Thanks for all the tips . . . I'll try it and let you know.

Meanwhile what are these "Meet-ups" you're talking about . . . ?

I do not know about NYC but here and elsewhere the groups organize Real World (TM) hosting meetups. They also may organize activities, community support events such as at homeless shelters, pub nights, etc. Check with the group or the NYV+C section of this Community.