New updates announced! Give your feedback!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New updates announced! Give your feedback!

From our headquarters in San Francisco, in front of hosts and guests from around the world, we announced some exciting updates we’re making for guests who use the Airbnb mobile app to search for listings in popular travel destinations.

We also shared some updates to the controls you can use to manage your listing. Read more about the updates. To share your thoughts and feedback about these announcements with us—and with other hosts—go to the dedicated posts below and add your insights.

1. Matching the right guests with your listing: We’re collecting more up-front information from guests about their trip when they search, so we can show them personalized matches.
  2. Neighborhoods: Travelers can pick the type of neighborhood they want to stay in, based on categories like quiet or scenic and these preferences will inform their matches.
  3. New host controls: For common preferences like allowing pets or smoking, you’ll be able to set your preferences, and we’ll make sure the right guests see your listing.
  4. City guidebooks: We’re rolling out new city-wide guidebooks that bring together select favorites from local hosts so travelers can see what it’s like to live in their destination.
  5. Additional hosts: We’re making it easier for you to share hosting responsibilities with a family member or trusted friend by adding an additional host to your listing.

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

19 Replies 19
Mireille7
Level 2
Darlinghurst, Australia

It would be great if we could also have other preferences than pets and smoking such as "artists or creatives", "on the food safari trail", "book lovers", "sports enthusiasts", "nightclubs and bars connoisseurs", etc.

Fiona0
Level 5
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

The neighbourhood thing doesn't look great to be honest, but I don't think it will affect those of us outside the big cities.  I doubt that anyone at Airbnb knows where Bournemouth is, never mind whether it has neighbourhoods or not.  Which is actually good, because I happen to live in an area which has a totally undeserved reputation for being a bit rough!

I used to live in Brixton, London, which also had, until recently, a rather bad reputation.  If I still lived there, I'd be concerned that Airbnb staff had control over how my neighbourhood was defined.

The merged guidebook thing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  I wrote my recommendations for my guests, not for the lazy host up the road who can't be bothered!  Or who completely disagrees with my about what which are the good restaurants.  So I am now about to delete the entries on my listing and keep a printed/emailable version for my guests alone.

The new tick boxes in the rules are OK, but they do look a bit harsh when you read them on the listing.  NO this, NO that, NO the other - what I wrote in my rules previously was a bit more chatty!

On children, I think it would be easier to say "no children under the age of x"  as people have different cut off points, although of course it is more complex than this. My unwritten rule is "I don't what a whole family of badly behaved children here ruining the stay of the people in the other room, but if you book both rooms, it wouldn't matter so much.  I also don't want anyone who expects to bring their child for free.  However if you spontaneously mention that your child is mature, quiet and well behaved, then I'll probably let you book, whatever their age"

Additional hosts - potentially useful, thank you.

Nancy0
Level 2
SF, CA

As a 5 year and Superhost in SF, trying to get my reactions to the Launch to the right place and people. I attended the Launch and the presentation was directed to travelers' experience, not the host, even though most of the audience was hosts. I can say that every fellow host I spoke with after the Launch was concerned about a decrease in business given the new format. I for one am concerned that my neighborhood Potrero Hill does not show up as "Great Transit", even though a majority of my guest reviews cite great transit or transportation as one of the highlights. I've passed that on via the Neighborhood Feedback page already.

Also, a plea for an app for the Windows Phone! I can do most of my business via the PC but it would sure be nice to be included in the tech advances.

Tracy-and-Steve0
Level 3
West Palm Beach, FL

I hate not being able to find how to change my cleaning fee and costs for additional guests.  This new pricing thing is not intuitive and I would love to know where the cleaning fee has been hidden.  

Donna3
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

My guidebook is gone.  I input a number of places, now there are only 3 and the scroll bar does not work.  Can I have mine back?

Lynda18
Level 5
Kaikoura, New Zealand

I am a host with an accessible studio that we rent to holidaymakers.  It has a wet floor bathroom, wide doorways, handles for support at the toilet, easy access to the studio, room to move in the studio and wheelchair access to at least one bed.   

Now I am also a paraplegic looking for somewhere to stay and I'm finding it impossible without doing multiple enquiries on a property to find out what facilities a "Wheelchair Access" home/apt/B&B has.  23% of the New Zealand population has some form of disability but Hosts have no idea what constitutes "Accessible"  Most are simply - ramp to back door.  I'm not sure what they think we are supposed to do once inside!   So my upcoming journey has inspired me to make a difference.   I suggest that once a person ticks the "Wheelchair Access" box, a sub menu (or just simply other tick boxes within the facilities page) ask the following questions.  

It could be an option to have more tick boxes including options such as

• Width of entrance door,
  • Width of internal doors
  • wet floor shower,
  • handles in normal shower,
  • support handle beside toilet
  • Wheelchair access to toilet
  • main bed has wheelchair access
  • Beds in spare room have wheelchair access.  

Can you please giving some consideration to this as there seems to be more consideration given to kids and pets than disabled people who need the assistance. 

Thanks

Lynda ***

New Zealand

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Marjo0 The keyword search feature was the best way for guests to find appropriate hosts, especially for those of us outside of central tourist areas. You can see from the link below the exact date when keyword search was turned off, and the sudden drop in views.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eq4q1loffhh9ilf/views2.png?dl=0

Please flip the switch and turn the keyword search feature back on. It really helps guests find a good match. There are ways to do this that are not very computing intensive so there's no reason not to have the feature available for those that want to use it.

Inability to leave a review.

Hello Airbnb, I do not care about your new updates! All I want to do is leave a positive review for my guest. In the community help centre there are eight pages of hosts with the same problem as me.

When will this be fixed.

Kieran Sullivan, Australia

yes. yes. yes.

BRING BACK KEYWORD SEARCH!!!

keep this topic alive and at the forefront of the upcoming Airbnb Open.

Create a field for taxes.  I will be happy to pay the taxes to my city, just like them added to the bill.

I just noticed when I posted something that I am a Level 2.  What does that mean?

Cari3
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Neighborhoods concerns me a bit as 99% of my guests who stay here actually come to visit Portland, OR and not Vancouver WA, so I hope it doesn't lose me listings.

the best and easiest way to match the right guest with the right host is VERY SIMPLE...

BRING BACK KEYWORD SEARCH!

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I would love to see more specific neighborhoods in my town...Nashville,Tn.

Currently when typing in the name, you are offered the Nashville Airport and some church I have never heard of in a strange location. In town we have several distinct neighborhoods, each with its own draw.  One for the hipsters, one for the purely tourist/Johnny Cash Museum type, one close to three universities with dozens of restaurants, one hip for young families.  I think actually offering the local neighborhood  names with a brief description would be the fairest and most useful for search.