How much interaction with guests?

Justin-and-Jen0
Level 1
Kelowna, Canada

How much interaction with guests?

We are new to Airbnb and have a suite on our lower level. We want our guests to feel comfortable and welcome, but we also want to respect their privacy and allow them a private vacation. The unit is self contained, so do you think we should interact with the guests or just leave them be and let them know to contact if they have any requests or concerns? Thanks for any feedback.

6 Replies 6
Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I feel the same way you do - I want my guests to enjoy their privacy, but I also want them to know that I am accessible. I greet them personally when they arrive, and am sensitive to whether or not they are the sort who would like to engage with me for a bit, or are anxious for me to show them around and then be on my way.  No matter how long, or how short, our intitial  interaction has been, I then send a text message late morning after their first night saying something like, "Just checking in with you to make sure that you are comfortable, and that everything is meeting your expectations.  Do you have any questions, or is there anything I can do to make your stay more pleasant?"

To me, a text is friendly but not intrusive.  And I always wait until late morning, on the chance they wish to sleep in! I understand that some guests might be hesitant to ask questions or to make comments, so I want to be the first one to extend that invitation.

I also send a text message the  night before they are scheduled to leave, confirming their departure time and my check-out procedures.

Jude

I also check in with guests prior to arrival to confirm their expected time and allow for a flexible arrival time best for them. We want to meet them personally and give them all the info they need ( maps and pamplets of area etc) and give point them to the guest suite booklet to give them our wifi info, and all contact info 24/7. Depending upon their interests and energy on arrival, we encourage them to let us know how they are doing. I want to respect their privacy and tell them we are available. For longer stays, if guests are going on a wine tour for example, we ask them to let us know how that was for them and invite them to chat over wine if they feel up to it. We have met some lovely people, and we gauge how socialable they want to be. Hope that helps! Laura

That is the million dollar question! Every guest is different and over time you will learn to judge which ones want to talk and which ones want you gone. We live beside the house we rent and the two properties share a covered area. When I meet guests on arrival I tend to make the orientation short, but spend as much time as needed to answer their questions.  If I see them sitting out in the yard I will usually step out to talk, but if they are not conversational I will move on. I tend to let them carry the conversation to determine if they really want me there or not. It really is trial and error until you get a feel for people.

I will say that people from other countries tend to want to socialize more as they are interested in American life. People from our own country tend to just want somplace to crash while they do their own thing.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Justin-and-Jen0, With a self contained place I think guests book it for the privacy. If they want interaction, they might book in a house. My place is self contained and I talk to guests for as long as they need on check in, and tell them to let me know any time if there's anything they need help with. Hardly anybody gets in contact after the initial meeting, but a few I have lots of interaction with. I have hiked with a few, had lunch with someone, gone shopping with someone else, given lifts to plenty. Some need a bit of help lighting the fire.

Happy hosting!

I try to meet and greet when they arrive and help with any luggage. Upon showing them to their studio I am social, but after that I tend to leave the ball in their court. I make myself approachable, but also get the picture when they are abrupt. I am assuming this is just good manners. I also like to check up and offer something complimentary (hot chocolate) after the first night or so, so that it leaves room to ask how their stay is going and interact, but some guests just take the hot chocolate and probably want me outta their hair-it's understandable...some people rent our place and want seclusion away from people. You just have to get a feel for the guest.

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

@Justin-and-Jen0 although I use a lockbox to provide entry to our apartment on the lower level (my husband and I live upstairs) if possible, I like to greet the guests. As others have said, you do a get a feel for who wants to chat and who doesn't. I always tell guests if they need anything to text or holler up the stairs. If I run into my guests while coming or going, I will usually chat a bit. I always do my best to be friendly at all times, and smile. I send the directions for the lockbox and entry as soon as a guest has a confirmed reservation. I do not send e-mails or texts unless the guests need additional info.. I would not like a lot of folderol as a guest,  I would not want a lot of extraneous information from hosts, no reminders, emails or texts. I prefer a professional hotel-type arrangement. I would appreciate brochures and menus in the guest  space, but an over abundance of posting of house rules would be a turn-off for me.