Guests Sneaking In Extra People

Answered!
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Guests Sneaking In Extra People

I've been hosting for four years and I've "had it" with dishonest guests who sneak in extra people. I am so furious every time I walk in after guests leave and find evidence of extra people other than those that booked. 

I have a "welcome table" set up with maps, restaurant menus, guidebooks, flyers...etc and also a written house manual. At the very top of the manual I have the following statement:

=============

Please respect our rate schedule so that we can keep the base price low for the first two guests. Additional guests after the first two people, including children, are required to pay $25/night per person anywhere on the property, whether or not that person shares a bed, sleeps on top of a bed, on the couch or on the floor. Minimum booking nights apply.

=============

This has not stopped people getting snuck in. I want to add the words: Sneaking in Extra People is Theft and will be treated as such. Too harsh? I have also ordered a security camera which will be installed this week. I made note of that in my rules.

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700498869474.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

149 Replies 149
Jean5467
Level 2
Pensacola, FL

I had two guests try to do this today. But i have cameras in all halls and entrance ways that ring to my phone anytime anyone leaves or enters the building. I love on the premises so that helps. If i see them coming up the walkway i come out as i polietly remind them of the no unregistered guest rule . which is in all caps in my listing. I tell them if you would like to add an additional guest we can go through airbnb or run a charge of $25 a night for each additional guest. Most of the time they make some lame ass excuse and say oh their friend was just coming in to use the bathroom. I am firm and say i am so sorey but for the safety and security of all our guests we do not allow unregistered guests on the property. Usually they walk the interloper cheapskate back to there car and they wisowr and argue . not my problem if there are no more roims for miles which they are not. Occasionally i book nurses whose spouse comes up on a weekend but they ask ahead of time and i say if its only four nights per month or one night a week thats fine. But i dont like sneeky people. Be honest. I am a goid host. I even offer one load a week free laundry service for guests staying a week or more. I stock their olaces with starter essentials but most people today ate cheap boogie self centered and cheap. Everything for them and people just like screwing hotels over but they forget airbs are not hotels they are peiples himes and they need to behave appropriately. 

Sarika9
Level 2
Chgo, IL

I think my current guests have extra guests despite all my house rules and double checking guest count before their stay. I’m thinking I will let the stay complete (check out is tomorrow) then ask for the review and only after they leave the review, I will request additional money. That way no chance of retaliation. What do you guys think?

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Sarika9 

I guess you have to decide to pursue the extra guest fee.

I notice you allow for 7 guests with your basic listing price and it is only from 8 on that extra guest fees apply. How many extra guests were involved here and did that number fall within your basic 7?

Sarika, they may agree to a prompt review but that is improbable, if they did sneak in additional guests there is a possibility they may wish to drag it out if they think (or you give them an indication) a claim might come from you, or they might not review you at all. They will do this because they will be aware, the longer it is before you lodge a payment claim, the less likely Airbnb are going to want to be involved with it!

But I would be pleasant, say nothing to them to get them offside, you will probably get a good review, but mention the disregard for your house-rules in your review. Once the reviews are published, you are right they can't hurt you.

If it were me I would let it go for the time unless there are other issues involved, let them give you a great review, and  once the review window  has closed, report them for breaking your house-rules and defrauding both you and Airbnb!

Airbnb don't take kindly to others 'cutting their lunch' and they might be more inclined to chase the guest for an additional payment, despite the time delay if they think they have been duded by the guest!

I can see why some guests would be tempted to do this Sarika, $2,000 per night is a substantial tariff and coupled with a 3 night minimum stay means the very least a guest will pay you is getting up towards $10,000, which is not an insignificant amount of money. The guest is going to think, "We have already paid them enough, another guest or two is no big deal"!

Cheers........Rob

Jain32
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Its fraud and theft. I caught a woman who booked for but her pic had six people on it. So i. Immediately got suspicious. I sent her a very nice message welcoming her as a solo guest and then reminding her that as per our house rules unregistered and undeclared guests would nit be allowed on the property and that if she wanted to add anyone else to her booking she could always amend her reservatiin but additional fees of $50 per guest per night would apply. She revises then to say she she has three adt and three infants to try to not pay for half her real party. So i wrote her back and said fron your puck it seems your children are over age 11 months and let her know we would be here in person to ck her and her three infants in. So then she said she had two adults 2 kids 1 child and 1 newbirn. I said ik no prob we will send you a reqwst doe the extra 750 due. Now i included the air bnb people in evert message. Of course when she got the request she said "na"  effectively canclling her own reservation Unfortunately for  her she had booked a non refundable reservation. So u got the money and she had no place to stay

Jorge2344
Level 1
Guayaquil, Ecuador

I fully agree. It's a shame people try to sneak out knowing staying at our properties are cheaper than at hotel. There should be high penalties set in Airbnb for those dishonest guests.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700498869474.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

That sounds so frustrating! I haven't had this issue, but wonder if it's an on-site vs off-site host thing. Do guests expect that they won't meet you when checking in?

The honor code doesn't seem to work as well when they think nobody is watching. I hope you have better luck once your security camera is installed.

Yes. Always meet them in person. And state in your listing ni unregistered nor undisclosed guest at time of making reservation will be allowed to check in.  Any attemped to bring in such person will result in immediate cancellation of reservation without refund . i just had a guest try to pull that. I gave her a chance to pay the additional fee and amend but she refused. So no room. And no refund for her. Goodbye to bad rubbish!

Will84
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

how can we claim extra funds for extra guests being snuck in

First step is to get the guest to admit it otherwise in my experience Airbnb is always on guests side unless you can prove something beyond reasonable doubt.

What if you have video footage showing the additional guests?

Proof enough. Always meet guests at door. 

In the fall I had a guest sneak extra people into the house. I sent a resolution center request for payment for the additional people and attached stills from the security footage.

You might also make a note that you'll provide the full video on request.

The guest will be notified of your resolution center request and asked to respond. If they ignore or decline your request you can ask Airbnb to intervene after 72 hours. So long as you have an extra person charge and photo evidence they ought to rule on your behalf.

@Allison2 wrote:

In the fall I had a guest sneak extra people into the house. I sent a resolution center request for payment for the additional people and attached stills from the security footage.

You might also make a note that you'll provide the full video on request.

The guest will be notified of your resolution center request and asked to respond. If they ignore or decline your request you can ask Airbnb to intervene after 72 hours. So long as you have an extra person charge and photo evidence they ought to rule on your behalf.

Was the resolution request sent after the sytatutory review period or during it?

Also, do you stipulate any security deposit?

Did you get paid?

Thanks.