How do you keep your home smelling fresh?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

How do you keep your home smelling fresh?

Bread small.jpg

Hello everyone,

I’ve heard that one of the best ways to sell your home is to fill it with the smell of home cooking, so baking bread just before viewers arrive is a good suggestion.

It is not always possible to find the time to bake, but I do believe that the way a home smells is one of the first things you notice when you arrive and is therefore important in welcoming guests when staying.

What are your tips for keeping your home smelling fresh and welcoming? Perhaps you light fragrant candles or place jugs of flowers in different rooms. Feel free to share any photos you have.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

43 Replies 43
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Fragrant candles would give me an asthma attac pronto - proper ventilation and proper cleaning is the only way.  Estate agents where I live advise against scented candles.  No carpets.....

Clean, freshly ironed linen smell nice. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh that's such a shame for you @Marit-Anne0

I have asthma but fortunately scented candles don't get me any issue at all.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Lizzie That's a really good question. Maintaining a "neutral smell" can be tricky.

I try not to use scented products. I use an all-natural cleaner from a local boutique manufacturer that's made with real lemon oil, and the smell dissipates quickly. I also use an air cleaner in the flat. I use unscented laundry products, but I've had people tell me my sheets smell "like a hotel's", so that may be ironing. I also clean a lot, and air out the space thoroughly between guests.

I personally don't like scented products like candles, wax heaters and sprays: they often give me a headache, and they just mask smells.

Hotels and motels use ozone generators. You can buy them for home use if you're serious about wanting to remove odors, especially tough smells like mould and cigarette smell.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

In fact, @Lizzie, I once earned a very poor review (on booking.com) from guests (from the UK) who rudely complained about the smell of cooked food despite the fact that it was a last-minute booking and I agreed to check them in earlier. Grrh...

Two weeks ago I had guests who smoked in the room - took me two days of airing the who place.

Generally, I use neutral detergents. The only one is the spray in the toilet. And mainly I rely of refreshing the air by opening windows and doors.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

@Lizzie

We usually clean and air the home pretty thoroughly and use products that do not have a strong scent. (I find that "unscented" products still have some sort of scent.) Also, Korea in general has some air quality issues - yellow dust, micro dust, and even a bit of smog now and then so sometimes we can't open windows for days on end. Newer homes (like mine) are equipped with air ventilation systems (with filters) and we also have an IQ air purifier at home. 

Another thing for us is....... we don't do much cooking at home 🙂 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your replies @Marzena4@Jessica-and-Henry0@Alexandra316@Marit-Anne0. 🙂

It's a great point about the unscented products and sensitivities. Do you find cleaning products like floor cleaner and window cleaner hard to buy because of this or not really?

I like your idea Marzena and Alexandra of opening all the windows to let the fresh air in. We had quite a snowy period here in the UK last week with the 'Snow beast from the east' as the papers were calling it! So when the weather suddenly changed here on Saturday and became a rather tropical 5 degrees, I just had to open all the windows and let the fresh air pour in and some sun for once. I had a big Spring clean, it is so refreshing! 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

@Lizzie I've found that unscented floor, window and surface cleaners are pretty much impossible to find, so I've settled on the natural products I'm using. I also like them because they're produced in Niagara, Canada by another small business, so I'm supporting the local economy.

I open the windows even when it's cold, because it's cold for a long time here in Canada! I air it out for maybe five minutes then close everything up again.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Lizzie

There is no need for a lot of chemicals really.  For windows and floors, the only thing needed is water, microfiber and a drop of washing-up liquid. Some use vinegar. Polish off with an old and well worn tea towel - linen works best.

I do use toilet cleaner although I suppose vinegar would do the desinfecting job and keep the limescale at bay. I mix my own spray cleaner for the kitchen - water and some washing-up liquid.  And I have found some scouring cream with desinfectant made from orange peel.

French bathrooms go mouldy unfortunately, so I have to use some bleach from time to time.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I've learned from my housekeeper that a chemical smell that says "this room has been cleaned for you"

is useful.

A little bleach in  the toilet water or in the water used for washing the floor.

I resist her "pine-sol" usage, but I understand why she wants to use it. While I prefer unscented products, it is good to reassure the new guest that attention has been made to "cleanliness"

She also tapers the toilet paper.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It is possible to buy products that do not contain too much scent. And in fact they are often cheaper. The hardest to maintain are real-wood floors - mine are waxed, hence the rule of no shoes inside the rooms. 

When it comes to curtains, it's pretty good to use some mild fabric softeners. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I also have hardwood floors, but a recent guest decided she was allergic to them. She thought it was the wood itself, but they're finished in a layer of Tung Oil (which has a slight nutty scent). I wasn't aware either were potential allergens. Anyone allergic to hardwood or wood finishes?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It's an excellent question. I sometimes dome to clean only to find guests have been cooking certain food which linger (bacon, curries, stuff like that) and it is a struggle to have enough time before next guests to get rid of. Usually only have 2-3 hours before next check in. On those occasions I will do whatever it takes, including room sprays, full blasting of windows, full heating at same time, desperate measures. Rather lemon than bacon! I find that lighting unscented candles with a match (not lighter) has a smell which overrides cooking. Just wax and wood.

In my gallery I always place a small wood offcut with a drop of essential oil inside the heating duct, it then blows out the scent evenly. I usually use something like cinnamon, subtle but really pleasant and wintery for the colder months when there are no flowers to pick and the windows aren't open all day. Because it is so subtle, people feel good without realising WHY they do.

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

In the winter I boil cinnamon  and clove on the stove before guests arrive.  Other times a spray a little Citrus Magic in the trash bins... natural oil and does not linger.

For the curry crowd or smokers.....bowls of ammonia left out (when place is vacant). Is a surefire odor neutralizer.

Boiling vinegar and water zapps fish smells.

Even if I have a tight schedule, I shut down the heat or AC,  open all the windows a bit in each room, and air the place while I am cleaning. Besides,  it makes me move faster to keep warm, build up a sweat and get a good workout!

I always attempt to iron at least the pillow cases and top of the flat sheet that folds down.  It gives the bed and sheets a professional finishing touch, and the apartment a pleasant scent. Also, if there is stale cooking smell, I'll leave a bowl of vinegar diluted with a bit of water overnight. It's like magic!