Missouri Occupancy Tax Collection

Rhiannon6
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

Missouri Occupancy Tax Collection

I host in Missouri and am having some trouble with occupany tax collection.  Since Airbnb does not collect taxes automatically in my area yet but does in many areas, my guests are ususally caught off guard by the addtional request for funds after booking. Even though I have it stated in a few places in my listing and also in the booking message, my additional funds request typically gets denied by the guest or even worse, they message that they are not happy with the additional fees.  It is a messy and time consuming process to do things this way, exspecially when it only results in a 50% or less completion rate and the rest of the time I am paying out of pocket... I would absoulty love and simple fix to this if anyone has had a similar experience and been able to perfect the process. 

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Rhiannon6  I would imagine you are a busy lady with 14 listings and having to manually collect occupancy tax for each guest is time consuming!  I just include the tax in my nightly rate and note that in my description.  I think guests react to the addition of a fee when they check in so I include it.  Then when I am doing my own taxes, I factor out the 10% tax collection as a business expense.  Pretty easy to do it that way.

I realize that means I have a slightly higher rate because I include it while other listings might tack it on later.   

Can it be added as a resort fee and explain  it in the listing?