Recipes of the World

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Recipes of the World

ho96a44_normal.jpg

If quarantine has proven anything is my love for food. The last few weeks have been pretty much a repetition of emptying the fridge and expanding my waist. I dread the day I'll wear anything other than sweatpants, but I'm not here to rant.

As someone who loves dining in restaurants and trying every possible combination making my taste buds happy, one of the things I miss most about travelling is eating and experiencing new flavours and local delicacies. I know I'm not alone in this. So let me take you on a - culinary - journey. Next stop, Greece.

There is a common peas recipe, healthy, easy and ideal for everyone, vegans included. We are not making that recipe. Instead, we'll do my very own personal twist with smoked bacon and feta cheese. Vegetarians and vegans can easily avoid these, ending up with the traditional version, still full of flavour. 

Smoky peas stew with feta and bacon

Ingredients

1 kg of frozen or fresh peas, peeled  

2 carrots into cubes

4 thick slices of bacon 1cm thick, into cubes

1 medium onion, chopped

3 spring onions, chopped 

500gr. fresh, peeled, chopped tomatoes

1 spoon tomato puree 

1/2 cup of white wine 

60ml extra virgin olive oil

3-4 drops of Tabasco or 1 chopped chilli pepper

200gr. feta cheese, cut in cubes

A bunch of parsley, finely chopped

salt, freshly ground pepper

Method

Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the bacon and sauté for 4-5 minutes until it turns brown and smells good. Take out the bacon with a slotted spoon and keep it in a bowl.

Put the onions (dry and fresh) in the fragrant olive oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add the carrots and peas and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes.

Return the bacon to the pot and add the wine. Once the alcohol has evaporated, add the chopped tomatoes, the tomato puree, Tabasco or pepper and a cup of vegetable stock. Season with pepper, cover the pot and let it simmer for about 45 minutes until the peas are cooked. 

Uncover the pot, add the feta and let it boil for another 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently until the feta melts and a nice, creamy sauce is created. 

Remove the pan from the heat, add the chopped parsley and serve. Season with salt according to taste as feta (and bacon) can be a bit salty anyway.  Bon appetit!

Tip 1: If you want to go for the traditional all vegetable recipe, have the feta on the side (with a splash of olive oil and oregano on it), along with olives and bread.  

Tip 2: You can replace bacon with chicken thighs but doing so will also mean having the feta on the side. 

Try it out and share your results! But don't stop there. How amazing it would be for all of us to have a shared journey around the world through cooking and food? I kept the recipe nice and simple so that anyone can try it, and I would recommend we don't make it too hard. I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes too!

peas.jpg

55 Replies 55
Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

😮😮😮

That sound you just heard all the way to South Korea? That was my belly after seeing those photos - I haven't even had breakfast yet 😞 

Carbonara day - April 6

Mazda2_0-1649268842869.jpeg

One of most famous roman recipe made of  pasta, eggs, cheek lard and pecorino. 

Gently fry cheek lard, add one egg per person and make a sauce stirring with cooking pasta water and pecorino. 

History:

In 1944 american soldiers in Rome used to exchange their k-rations made of egg powder and bacon with a bottle of wine. Romans mixed those ingredients as a sauce for pasta. @Nick 

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mazda2 I was just starting to think about what I'll have for dinner, and now you've put pasta on top of my list! 😄

I always thought carbonara included cream, it's quite impressive that you get that sauce et texture form only those ingredients. Thank you for the background on the dish as well, I wonder how a carbonara from back then would compare to one we'd find these days? 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yeh me too in my 20's and all people from north of italy still uses cream and just yolk as a trick for not to make an omelette rather than a sauce. Just cooking water full of amid told me a roman cook, but on a very low flame on and off and add pecorino, it will turn it into a smooth sauce rather than omelette. It's even easy to think on wwii we had cheese rarely but not fat cream.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mazda2 

There is nothing better than an authentic carbonara. When I was growing up in the UK, the supermarkets, and even restaurants, used to sell something they 'called' carbonara, but it was a whitish, sloppy thing that always seemed to include cream and often regular ham. Not so great.

I was introduced to proper carbonara while in Rome and fell in love with it. It's so simple to make and so, so delicious and satisfying. It's one of my go-to meals, when I am short on time and ingredients. You don't need much to pull it off, but you just need to get the few ingredients right. Delicious every time (although I imagine it's not the best for someone trying to reduce fat or calories etc.)

While the ingredients are sometimes difficult to find here, you can substitute some of them for something close. It won't be authentic, but still good. I look out for pecorino though when I can find it in my local supermarket (not often) so that I can look forward to some carbonara! 

Well, it's a great excuse to be in Rome again and fill up your suitcase of pecorino before your way back. My friend travels with what I call her matrioska trolley case and when back from London magically have 2. option 2: start a pecorino e-commerce

Here's one of our go to, easy but healthy salad recipes. @Nick  

black-eyed beans / lentils / chickpea or any beans of choice.  100 grams per person.

tin of sardines/tuna/anchovies/whatever. Fresh fish @Ria16 @Helen427 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Yannis37  even better

one cucumber small pieces

tomatinia sliced small

onion chopped fine

parsley chopped fine

celery chopped fine

salad leaves chopped

bit of salt/pepper/lemon juice and or vinegar to make dressing

olive oil.

This, to me, is summer in a dish and goes well with crusty bread and baked potato if a more substantial meal is required.

Kali Orexi !! 

Bon Appetite !!

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 @Nick  Hello Vasilis, i love this kind of salad, especially when i eat it at a taverna next to the sea. My favorite is chickpeas with tuna, cherry tomatoes, red onions and black olives. 

I think i have decided what i am eating today. 🙂

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 @Nick @Yannis37 and everyone -else in the Greek Isles, your recipes are bringing back fond memories of my holiday there.

Are your restaurants/ tavernas, and general eating places all fully operating again with people been permitted to sit however they like?

We are still going through silly "Rules" here with ours.

Limits of 10 people maximum per group would you believe??!

I think our politicians & advisors need to get out a bit more so we can enjoy life & eateries again as a civilised society..

That beautiful Greek music playing always brought a smile.

A glass of Ouzo would be nice right now !!

All the best for a great summer!!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Helen427 @Βασίλης-and-Ann0 @Yannis37 

From what I read in the Press - and my family tells me - you can't go and sit anywhere yet. Tavernas, restaurants or coffee shops. Probably the guys know more as they live there.

But the same is also true for the UK 😞 

@Helen427 @Nick @Βασίλης-and-Ann0 

Yes Nick is right. All tavernas, restaurants, coffee shops and bars are still closed in Greece. Hopefully they will open up soon next month as summer is loading...
A glass of ouzo or tsipouro would be really nice now indeed!
Cheers everyone!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0 @Yannis37 Totally agree with the Tuna addition! I was having it last summer in Pelion, by the beach, and loving it.

Thanks for reminding me of this Vasilis! Goes on the list for the immediate future. 

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0     I love sardines! Am going to try this, it sounds delicious.

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0  Yum that’s my kind of salad too 🙂 

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Βασίλης-and-Ann0  @Yannis37  So this happened...

I made it today for lunch. Missing the cucumber as I didn't have time to go and get one but made a big bowl (will last all weekend), will add it later. Thanks @Βασίλης-and-Ann0 for reminding me of this. Took me straight to a psarotaverna by the beach!

IMG_0276.jpeg