Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Charging a dog fee?

Vicki93
Level 2
Lake Forest, CA

Charging a dog fee?

My cleaning team is now charging me $75 extra when a guest had a dog. There is not space on airbnb to add a fee for a pet and that is not right. Dogs always leave extra dirt and hairs behind. I also know that dog owner are fine with paying an extra fee to bring their best friend. Other sites have a space to add the extra fee. I don't understand why airbnb would not do this either. Service animals can always be made an exception. 

I do not want to increase the cleaning fee and nightly rate as this would not be fair to guests without pets.

I also do not want to go through the resolution center as this complicates the booking for the guests.

12 Replies 12
Tami1
Level 4
Benton, KY

They really do need to add this, I have run into this several times!  Here's hoping they listen!  

Sol-Maria1
Level 2
Woodridge, NY

@Tami1 Hopefully  we get a reply.   I had a long term guest and they never mentioned a pet.    We went to collect garbage and the dog ran out the house.   They hid the dog on arrival.    The clean up was awful.   Dog hair on all furniture including beds.    We are pet friendly but we stipulate that peta are not to be on furniture including beds. 

Claudia2684
Level 1
San Luis Potosí, Mexico

Tambien esperamos que tengan una respuesta satisfactoria a la solicitud, es necesario que se especifique y se pueda cobrar por este servicio.

Meghan191
Level 2
Ottawa, Canada

I completely agree that there should be an option through Airbnb to include a pet fee. We are also pet friendly and do charge the fee separately via e-transfer. However, its hard to enforce it and sometimes guests do forget. 

Thank you so much for the reply.  I wasn't aware that we could ask for the fee separately. 

Jan9311
Level 2
Sampford Brett, United Kingdom

I so wish we could charge for dogs!

Anne10742
Level 1
Woking, United Kingdom

Me too!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Wow, that's excessive to charge you that much generally for a vacuum that can easily be done on furniture where necessarily and of carpet which should be done regardless of a dog coming @Vicki93 

Yes those hairs can be a nuisance , but really, $75 for what exactly?

I think I'd be inclined to have an answer from your cleaners to justify the costs and time involved.

Brian1898
Level 2
Albany, OR

We have a no dog policy but have let it slide for 3 guest - the last one though was an issue (some spots on the sheets)....so I hope they can have a pet cleaning option. 

Or can we work out something with the guests that have asked to bend the no pet policy (we have a dog so its not allergies...and summer is easier with the outside more accessible)?

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey everyone,

We’re very happy to share some details with you that have been recently announced! In the following weeks, Hosts will finally be able to add a Pet fee to their listing. 🙌 🐕

We really appreciate your feedback, so please share with the Community your first impressions on the new feature once it has launched. We look forward to hearing what you think. 😊

Thanks,

Liv

Jennie92
Level 2
Litton, United Kingdom

HI Liv,

that's great news. We live in an area where dog owners love to bring their dogs for beautiful walks, and tell us they are happy to pay a cleaning fee to cover the extra cleaning their furry freinds most often create. (Its better for them, less stressful and more cost effective than high kennel / dog sitting fees). Having a simple and effective way to put this in motion will encourage more bookings and hosts happier to offer pet stays. We look forward to the roll out of this option.

Jennie92

Kerry404
Level 2
Pontesbury, United Kingdom

Hi, I'm a new host and accepting dogs....when does the ability to add a pet fee onto a booking go live in the UK? I've checked the pricing structure where instructed and there's no pet fee for me to set up?

Thank you

Kerry