Dedicated work space OR… ?

Answered!
Natalie1270
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Dedicated work space OR… ?

I am furnishing a new one bedroom Airbnb property (max 2 guests).  The living area is open plan and I can’t decide whether to A) put a larger (4-6) seater dining table that can double as a work space OR B) a 900mm x 900mm  cafe style table with 2 chairs and have an a area with a dedicated desk and chair.

In your experience as a host/ what to look for as a guest, please could you vote A or B and any other input is appreciated.

Thanks 

1 Best Answer

I vote B. It's a no brainer decision for me.

Having a dedicated workspace is worthwhile, it helps attract more guests. Especially digital nomads, workers etc. By the way, my sister is a digital nomad and she looks for a proper ergonomic chair, the desk is less important. She looks at the photos to determine this.

I agree big dining tables are worthless, and the usual rule is that if you only have 2 guest max in a property, then you only provide everything for 2 guests. From couches, to only 2 dining chairs/small table, maybe double the crockery/cutlery/glasses if you want to be generous but that's about it. 

Kind regs MK

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7
Marie8425
Level 10
Buckeye, AZ

@Natalie1270 

I suggest you decide b ased on what a Guest would used for?  Presenting pic tures of a dining area for more than 2 gives the impression that dinner parties are encouraged.

Natalie1270
Level 2

Great point about the dinner parties! Thanks

Shelley159
Level 10
Stellenbosch, South Africa

Hi @Natalie1270 

If you look at the amenities list, you will see that you are only allowed to tick "dedicated workspace" if you have "a desk or table that is just for working". This is said to be a popular amenity in searches, so you may get more bookings if you opt for 2 tables so you can tick this.

Natalie1270
Level 2

Great point! Thanks Shelley

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Natalie1270 ,

For a small open-plan apartment, I would go with the first option; it is much more convenient and efficient. Even a four-seat table is enough; a six-seat table would be too big and might feel awkward. Use the empty space for a single couch in one of the corners.

Having both a dining table and a work table in the same space will look unnatural. I like how you used the carpet in your current property to define the living room and the space outside the carpet for the round table. Very smart.

I vote B. It's a no brainer decision for me.

Having a dedicated workspace is worthwhile, it helps attract more guests. Especially digital nomads, workers etc. By the way, my sister is a digital nomad and she looks for a proper ergonomic chair, the desk is less important. She looks at the photos to determine this.

I agree big dining tables are worthless, and the usual rule is that if you only have 2 guest max in a property, then you only provide everything for 2 guests. From couches, to only 2 dining chairs/small table, maybe double the crockery/cutlery/glasses if you want to be generous but that's about it. 

Kind regs MK

Natalie1270
Level 2

Thanks for the advice Mary.  These are very very good points!  B wins for me after reading the comments.