Design Ideas! Critique my listing - Spencer, North Carolina, United States

Dani14434
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

Design Ideas! Critique my listing - Spencer, North Carolina, United States

IMG_0936.jpeg

Hello everyone! We took over an existing Airbnb and I am in the process of planning some updates. I would love your input on what you like/don’t like about the current space and design ideas inspired by your favorite Airbnbs! Thanks for the help 😊

airbnb.com/h/theconductorsquarters

8 Replies 8

Hi @Dani14434 , I just had to respond because its absolutely gorgeous! Something like I had in mind for my next airbnb especially the bar and record player! Don't remove those!

Honestly, there's nothing I would neccessarily change/replace unless you had some specific feedback from guests? What were you thinking of doing? You are already getting 5 stars so well done!

If I was going to be picky, and this would not stop me from booking, if you were going to re-arrange everything anyways is to put some day couches near the windows rather than just the stool. And in the kitchen, wasnt sure if there was actually a vent for the cooker? Having cooking smells and fat go nowhere is not good. This is just me also, but the kitchen seems a bit minimalist so plenty of opportunity to liven it up with some decor/plants, such high ceilings so much space!

But again, nothing worth spending big dollars on.

Another host advised me make sure everything is comfortable and safe. Couches aren't sagging or chairs are still super comfy. Everything in kitchen still works, massive kitchen so is there enough appliances and quality crockery etc to match the vibe?

What I've learnt from 'improvements' is sometimes it's just about maintenance and being on top of that. Repaint if shipped, regrout, fix etc. I went and asked previous guests on my property for 'improvements' and it was more a list of 'maintenance' items.

Remember also spending $$$ is sometimes not even worth the return for something you think is worthwhile (unless you of course just want it as its your holiday spot too!)...

Kind regs

Mary

Thanks for the input @Mary1523 ! It’s mostly the middle bedroom and half bath that are screaming at me to do something. And I agree the kitchen feels a bit blah compared to the main living area! I’m an avid DIYer, so I’d do most updates myself. Main things I was considering were adding a mural to the bedroom, and switching up some of the pillows, etc.

It is tricky to balance what updates are worthwhile and which ones are just me being picky. Figuring it out slowly though!

Your suggested updates if its just decor cost almost nothing so just go and do it...

It's the ones like bathrooms, like are you thinking of replacing the sink in half bathroom? what was screaming at you to change? if it's deteriorating i couldn't tell....if it's a let down from the rest, then yes upgrade it, but if it's just you, and just needs a lick of paint, then i don't see the point of spending big $

i thought your photos were pretty good but i'm not a pro in this area! i've seen situations where the photos are so awesome, they make the place look bigger etc, and then the guests check in, and say, hmmm photos were way better than the house. that's ok when you are selling, but not when you have guests checking your place against the photos, and the review system asks you as well. so just be careful...

good luck, lovely place!

The half bath at a minimum needs paint and the mirror offset from the sink (due to the outlet) drives me nuts. The cabinet at least needs adjusting on one of the doors so it closes fully. We are debating if we will eventually add a 2nd shower/tub, but not sure if that’s worth it or not. As you said, bathrooms can cost a lot, and I’m not sure it would pay off. We’ll see!

Thanks for the info about the photos as well. If anything I think we could use better photos (our guests have said it’s even better in person). 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Dani14434, you've for a lovely home, indeed! I'm just tagging a few very helpful members of the community who might be able to provide some feedback 😊 

@Andry34 @Marie8425 @Amanda1435 @Andrey161, I hope you're ok with me tagging you to help @Dani14434 with listing feedback! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Thank you @Quincy !! That’s super helpful 😊

Hi Dani! What a nice space you have and the exposed brick is beautiful! I am an NC based Airbnb interior designer and data analyst and was looking at your competition in Spencer, NC and there is what looks like only one other listing. Most of your potential competitors are in nearby Lexington which is lakefront and a slightly different destination profile. I would say from reading your comments that guests are extremely happy but your pictures might not highlight your space in the best way. I would recommend hiring a professional photographer to retake your pictures and it can at times lead to a $20K increase in bookings. Also in your bedroom with the bunk beds that is a large white wall, have you thought about putting a mural on it that relates to your town of something of interest in the area? Reach out if you want to chat more, but it looks like guests can see the care you have taken to setup your space. 🙂

Hi @Heather1967 ! Thanks for the input! We are planning to get professional photos once I finish the updates (hence part of my reason to put this post out there). That’s great advice. I used to work in real estate and know photos go a really long way.

That’s funny, I was already thinking a mural would be perfect in that room! The other 3 walls were blue when we bought it and I couldn’t leave it, so we painted them with some leftover paint. It feels better now, just a bit stale. I just need to decide on a mural!