Do radiators need covers?

Answered!
Jennifer1570
Level 2
Barnstable, MA

Do radiators need covers?

Hi: We are considering becoming Airbnb hosts. We have an antique home, small but nice.

We have a few old-fashioned big metal radiators. Some are fully enclosed in metal covers. But three have no covers at all. Does anyone know if we are required by have radiator covers on them before renting our house? 

Thank you. 

1 Best Answer
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Jennifer1570 Another couple of things to consider: Not sure if you are accepting children and/or pets or not at your place, but be aware that 'Infants' must be accepted (for free) at all Airbnb listings, even if you have checked off that your rental is not suitable for children. Also, service and 'emotional support' animals also must be accepted (for free). And the guest does not need to inform you they are bringing said infant or said service or support animal (although there is an 'infant' box that can be checked off when the booking is made - but some guests do not bother to do this, nor do they bother to inform the host they are bringing their little one - There is no box for checking off service or emotional support animal, either, last time I checked).

Now, a host's idea of what an 'infant' might be (unable to crawl; still sleeps in a basinette; still nursing; still wears teeny-tiny baby clothes; pre-verbal,  etc) may be very different from a guest's idea of an infant - especially if said guest is wanting to save a little money (because infant's get to stay for free). The same is true for service animals and 'emotional support' animals. You have to accept them, or you are in violation of Airbnb's (very questionable and controversial) anti-discrimination policy.

So, you might find that that nice couple who booked your place awhile back shows up on their arrival date with a two year old with them (staying for free on your dime) who they insist is still an 'infant'. Or, your guest might show up with a service dog or mini-horse, or an emotional support animal of some kind (dog, cat, chicken, goat, peacock, etc). You then have to decide if you will host them or try and have Airbnb cancel the reservation, which is unlikely to happen, as it will be seen by Airbnb as discrimination on your part. 

Given the above two possible scenarios (and you are likely to face one or both if you host long enough) it is therefore best to ensure your place is as child-proof and animal-proof as possible, (including the radiator) so as to limit any liability issues you might face were you to not do so. And do be aware that you really can't count on Airbnb's Host Protection Guarantee (just do a search on the HPG here in the forums and you'll see why). Therefore, in addition to child and animal proofing your rental, you will likely want to look into acquiring some sort of short term rental insurance coverage to protect yourself and your assets while renting out your home to strangers.

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21

@Mark116 I agree that Airbnb's policies are often obtuse and contradictory. All I know is that I was told by an Airbnb C/S Rep that I could not deny an infant; that the infant stayed for free; and that this was true even if the infant was not on the reservation (as you might guess, I was writing from personal experience during my first comment, above). I also asked the C/S Rep what constituted an 'infant'. After a lot of hemming and hawing I got the old "let me check on that for you and I will be back in touch." And that was the last I heard. Perhaps other hosts have had different experiences regarding the issue of infants (whether expected or a surprise?) There is also the possibility that yet again I reached a C/S rep who has very little knowledge of Airbnb's actual practices and policies - Wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure, and as we've already established, what certain policies actually mean and how they are to be carried out by hosts seem to change depending on which way the wind is blowing over at Airbnb Corporate on any given day.

@Rebecca181 sounds like you were given the wrong advice about infants. If you've got it ticked in your house rules that the place is not suitable for infants then you can decline the booking. And guests now have to inform you as a host if they are bringing infants at the time of booking.

I've declined booking requests with infants & children as my apartment is not suitable for them and its listed in the house rules. Although I did get a stupid automated message from Airbnb to update my house rules when I declined (and I'd given the reason for declining that booking request breached my house rules).

Good to know, @Rachel177 thanks. Yet another instance of questionable support from what appear to be untrained employees at new support offices being established overseas.

Thank you Rebecca. Sounds like it's not clear if you can deny children and infants or not. I appreciate your advice and will investigate further. But yes, definitely should child proof the house to the extent possible for the off-chance there are kids here or I am not able to say 'no kids' or no infants. 

Thank you everyone who has offered comments here. It is very helpful. Good to know I do not have to cover radiators but maybe would be a good idea anyway to be sure there aren't safety issues or complaints. 

@Jennifer1570 Yes, given that I at times receive conflicting information from Airbnb C/S support (including 'Case Managers') I'd say be prepared for anything, although it appears I was given some bum advice from support regarding infants. I will say that I had guests book a stay and it was only by accident I found out they planned to bring an infant -they had not checked the 'infant' box, and the 'infant' box is a new addition  - didn't use to be there. However, I did decide to allow the infant because it was actually an infant and I had had good message exchanges with the parents and was happy to accommodate their baby.

Ok thanks again Rebecca. Sounds like the policies and rules are ever-evolving!