Does your home change with the seasons?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Does your home change with the seasons?

cf099523-0ac3-4050-b552-403840a2a615 (2).jpg

Hello everyone, 

We are currently in the middle of Autumn (Fall) here in the UK, which signals a shorter nights, warming food and beautiful crisp days. As winter is approaching, it is getting colder, and homes need to accommodate to this change in weather. 

Some hosts might change the type of duvet they use, check the heating is full working order and even alter some details in their listings to accommodate the seasonal change. Your travel suggestions may also change as different tourist attractions might be popular during certain times of the year.  

Do you make alterations in your home according to seasonal changes in your area? What are some things that you change or double check are working as expected? 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

36 Replies 36

Yes, I add additional blankets to each bed in winter and ensure the extra blankets in the closet are properly cleaned after each stay (you know some guests try to be helpful and put them away after use). I also ensure the snow shovel and ice melt are handy and at the front door so that I can keep the walks clear and shovel out cars if necessary. I ensure guests know how to use the safety space heater I provide for their own personal comfort. I also like to offer a warm beverage at arrival.  During summer-similar changes. Light layers for bedding, cooling fan for personal comfort beyond the central air, and cold beverages. 

Stacey236
Level 2
Artesia, NM

winter: We leave a bucket of de-ice pellets for the outside stairs and a snow shovel as well as window scraper for car windshields.

We decorated for Christmas but that’s the only holiday so far. 

we installed a NEST temperature/thermometer so we can monitor via an app  if the heater is being left on in the house when guests are not there.  Last year we wasted so much money burning gas in the heater when it was not being rented because it was left on when they left. 

in the summer I keep bug spray and sunscreen at the house.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

Fun topic!

Im in the US- Pacific Northwest along the coast, where the dramatic colors of the changing leaves of the deciduous trees pop against old growth evergreen backdrops in fall.  We get rain instead of snow, and “storm watching” the cyclical Pacific Ocean weather systems is a local sport lol, dotted with random sunshine and rainbows.

Inside: Cozy is the word

Check the heating

Soft 100% cotton flannel sheets

Stock up on firewood
Stock up on red wine

Switch to hardy indoor plants 

Add Seasonal Holiday accents

Update local activity suggestions to include  holiday/seasonal events

Update local dining options with winter hours

Add umbrellas to the coat rack

Prepare for higher heating bills

Outside: Simplify
Add seasonal/holiday accents
Lots of gardening, pruning to prep for dormant season

Add bird feeders

Check gutters and downspouts 

Clean and put away outdoor furniture till spring

Check outdoor lighting

Pretty normal stuff!

Sue1453
Level 2
Queensland, AU

Being in Queensland, Australia our seasons aren’t quite so dramatic as some but our bnb https://abnb.me/2IAkER8AM2 is very popular in winter with its log fire  and being in the a High Country. 

In summer I lighten up the decor , use a nice waffle weave quilt on the bed, remove heavier lap quilts and we add locally made soft drink .
In winter it’s chocolate treats, hot chocolate powder, instant porridge sachets, the fire is always set ready to light, a feather down doona and lots of lap quilts for indoors and the deck . We always make sure there’s a bucket of starter kindling, branches etc and abundance of split wood too . 

Becky246
Level 2
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom

We switch the duvets to thicker ones and blankets are available in all rooms.  We make sure the heating is on ready for their arrival and there are plenty of logs for the wood burner.  Red wines replace white in the welcome basket.  I have also added extra sensor lighting for outdoors to help them find the front door on arrival with the dark evenings. I like the idea of hot water bottles...am now going off to shop for some!

Michele589
Level 1
Santa Cruz, CA

yes, we change the bedcovers to a cozier one in the colder months and put away the hammock. I also add hot chocolate to the tea basket in the winter.

Fiona558
Level 2
Wilson, TX

I always decorate according to the season.  

Fiona Smith
Angela853
Level 1
Boston, MA

I change my bed linens including the duvets every time I have a new guest, even if they only stay for two nights. I have an assortment depending on the temperature outside.

CeliaT0
Level 1
Dawsonville, GA

I normally change the curtains and bed setting to its season. If its summer, everything is flowery and sunshine decors, so with the frames and collectibles. If its Stormy time or rain season time , I put greeny surrounding in the house bamboo design curtain, grassy design beddings. If its the Christmas season lots of touch of colors and I put out Christmas tree and lights

George-and-Jan0
Level 2
Big Bear Lake, CA

Here in Big Bear Lake California we are at about 7000 foot elevation with four seasons and the best sun in California and because of this sun we have also a Solar Observatory. So Jan & I change the door mats for each season and some decor & bedding.  For fall there is Oktoberfest & Thanksgiving so  we feature Pumpkin & Turkey and for December we feature a Christmas Tree, lights & more blankets and fire wood.  When it snows (5’ already) I use a snow blower to build a sled area in the front yard to help parents keep the children occupied. They love it & it makes snow removal less work & more fun. 

Yeah I sure do.

As this is a new purchase of mine, I have been adding things for the next winter.  This Winter my place is resting...so to speak.  But yes definitely, things change here in Aspromonte(RC) Italy.  It is a place where Spring will bring color, lighten the load on the bed and new life here.  Summer will buzz and the windows will stay open with the screens down to keep out the flys and Autumn starts to slow down and rest slowly bringing out extra blankets and staking wood.  Love these changes not only to the home but the surroundings, don't you?

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

We don't make many changes throughout the year and most of our differences occur during winter. Winter, or more correctly, the period during which winter-weather CAN occur stretches from October to May in Colorado, so I emphasize to guests that they must have an AWD or 4x4 vehicle, should a large snow occur. 

We are continually working to cut and split wood to keep the woodpile stocked and we an excess of blankets available year-round since cool temperatures can occur year-round at night. 

I also remind guests year-round that extremely dry conditions - daytime humidity of around 10-15% can take a toll no matter the season, so they should drink plenty of water and at 9,000 feet protect themselves from the sun. 

KimAndJohn0
Level 2
Carroll, OH

I have added some minimal Christmas decorations during the season.  I always wonder if I am offending someone by doing this.  They are mostly just a few candles, and some greens.  Any thoughts?  I do have one little wall plaque, that says, "Oh Come Let Us Adore Him", and that's pretty much it.  

Mililani0
Level 1
Volcano, HI

Living in the Hawaiian Islands make visitors think that every day is a tropical paradise with temperatures in the 70s.  However, living in the higher elevations means that as hosts we have to prepare for seasonal change from the 70s to the 90s in the summer to the high 30s and 40s in the winter when there is snow on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa.  For the summer, we have cotton sheets, light blankets, and a light bedspread.  There is a fan in every room.  In the late fall and winter, we change to flannel sheets, polartec blankets, and comforters.  We also space heaters and we prepare the propane fireplace for guests' use.

Although during the Christmas season we do put up some decorations, we try to keep the rooms minimally clean.  One given for all guests is that I put up floral arrangements made from the anthurium from our yard.

Nazneen3
Level 2
Lautoka, FJ

For the tropical Islands where winters are not so extreme - I still do prefer to have a duve with a great tropical prints on them to be spread on the beds. However in summer which gets warmer -I prefer to leave the 100% cotton sheets on with a bright bed runner and a pillow to match it out. Also there is always a thermal blanket in the cupboards - in case the guests needs them. The AC has heater in it as well. So I consider myself blessed as a host to be living in the tropics where weather does not go to the extremes.