First guest

Answered!

First guest

I have my first guest moving in next week, how do I make his stay joyful?

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Edith595 

That's a really broad question! Also, it does depend the guest as different guests appreciate different things. Some like lots of interaction with their host. Others prefer their privacy and to be left alone. You need to play it by ear somewhat.

Here are a few things you might try:

- If your budget covers it, you could include a welcome basket. Search this CC for 'welcome basket ideas' and you will see a thread that offers lots of ideas.

- My guests love that I have 'welcome' blackboards with their names hand written on them. I costs next to nothing, but is commented on more than any other little touch.

- Make sure the guest has very clear instructions on how to reach and find the property and that you are available on your phone to help if they have problems. Don't rely on guests reading the information on their booking. Many seem to miss this somehow.

- Personally, I prefer to do a proper house tour rather than self check in, but that will depend a bit on your schedule. I work from home so it's not too difficult for me. Guests mostly seem to appreciate being offered something to drink and being shown around and getting to know the host and space a bit when it is a homestay situation. Don't let it drag on too long though if the guest seems very tired from travelling or is in a rush to get somewhere.

- Ask your guests if they have everything they need and let them know you are available if they need anything else.

- Once the guest has settled in, or perhaps after their first night, send a message to ask them if they slept well, if there is anything they need etc. After that, I would leave it to them to ask for anything else rather than pester them.

- It might sound counterintuitive, but have clear rules about dos and don'ts in your home (e.g. quiet hours, how much guess are expected to clean up after themselves, what is and isn't available to them) and make sure the guest has understood these when they book. It helps to avoid misunderstandings during the stay and most guests seem to prefer knowing what the boundaries are, rather than finding out later that they did something they didn't even know they weren't supposed to do. Never assume that what is obvious for you is obvious for everyone else and be mindful of cultural differences, of which there can be many.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Good luck with your hosting journey!!

View Best Answer in original post

2 Replies 2
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Edith595 

That's a really broad question! Also, it does depend the guest as different guests appreciate different things. Some like lots of interaction with their host. Others prefer their privacy and to be left alone. You need to play it by ear somewhat.

Here are a few things you might try:

- If your budget covers it, you could include a welcome basket. Search this CC for 'welcome basket ideas' and you will see a thread that offers lots of ideas.

- My guests love that I have 'welcome' blackboards with their names hand written on them. I costs next to nothing, but is commented on more than any other little touch.

- Make sure the guest has very clear instructions on how to reach and find the property and that you are available on your phone to help if they have problems. Don't rely on guests reading the information on their booking. Many seem to miss this somehow.

- Personally, I prefer to do a proper house tour rather than self check in, but that will depend a bit on your schedule. I work from home so it's not too difficult for me. Guests mostly seem to appreciate being offered something to drink and being shown around and getting to know the host and space a bit when it is a homestay situation. Don't let it drag on too long though if the guest seems very tired from travelling or is in a rush to get somewhere.

- Ask your guests if they have everything they need and let them know you are available if they need anything else.

- Once the guest has settled in, or perhaps after their first night, send a message to ask them if they slept well, if there is anything they need etc. After that, I would leave it to them to ask for anything else rather than pester them.

- It might sound counterintuitive, but have clear rules about dos and don'ts in your home (e.g. quiet hours, how much guess are expected to clean up after themselves, what is and isn't available to them) and make sure the guest has understood these when they book. It helps to avoid misunderstandings during the stay and most guests seem to prefer knowing what the boundaries are, rather than finding out later that they did something they didn't even know they weren't supposed to do. Never assume that what is obvious for you is obvious for everyone else and be mindful of cultural differences, of which there can be many.

Just a few thoughts off the top of my head.

Good luck with your hosting journey!!

Younus0
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

https://etsy.me/3xbRp4J Try keeping this in your rental.