Hosting Amenities: Looking back at the early years

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hosting Amenities: Looking back at the early years

Recycling (2).jpg

Hi Everyone,

Do you remember what amenities you offered your guests from the beginning since you started out Hosting?

Maybe you've been offering a certain type of coffee or snack since day one or the little details, like free Wi-Fi, towels, shuttle service, parking etc. 

For many Hosts, the amenities they provide may have changed over time, but it's always interesting to reflect on the essentials that you offered when you first started out. 

Have you seen an increase in the number of unique amenities you started offering since then? Let's take a walk down memory lane and think back to the early days of hosting on Airbnb. We can't wait to hear your stories and see how far you've all come.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

27 Replies 27
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bhumika When I first started, I went overboard with offerings that I have since pared down.  In my market, less appears to have a better response from my guests.

I used to provide a full array of condiments, coffee, multiple types of sweeteners and creamers.  Now I just have salt and pepper, one sugar substitute and individual powdered creamer.  The refrigerator is bare.  

I used to have bath towels for the hot tubs that were different from the bath towels in the bathrooms.  Guests would use whatever they could get their hands on, so now all of my towels are the same and each guest gets a bath sheet, bath towel, hand towel and washcloth.  We have a washer and dryer in the property.

No candles. 

No fancy barbeque tools, and just a basic grill. 

No "extra" decorative pillows or throws.  The more stripped down my property is, the more likely it is that guests will leave it in great shape.  

What has increased?  The pages of information in my credenza book.  More suggestions on what to see, where to shop, and where to eat.  Tips on where to walk your dog and how to safeguard your pet from the bears and other wild animals of the NC woods.  Waterfall tours and hiking trails.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hey @Lorna170 ,

It is nice to hear that this simplification of amenities is intended to encourage guests to leave your listing in a good shape, plus, you have seen a better response from guests🙌.

Liked the concept of credenza book😆! All the information would have been greatly appreciated by your guests.

Have you ever encountered guests who would have asked to have those amenities, which you stopped offering eventually?

-----

No, now they ask for "off-the-wall" or strange things.  For example, a guest wanted to know if I provided a fruit drying rack and another wanted a tent so they could camp under the stars.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Haha, some interesting asks @Lorna170 ! The other guest seems quite adventurous and interesting😆.

This makes me wonder what the night sky looks like from your listing🌃!!!! Super intrigued.

-----

Tracey537
Level 2
Whangārei, New Zealand

lol that’s funny 😄 

That's hilarious!

I also installed kitchenettes when 3 guests who were friends traveling together completely took over my kitchen, so I could hardly ever use it myself. 
My guests since then seem to really enjoy the kitchenettes, but they still must share the guest laundry room.

I’ve considered putting portable dishwashers in since I don’t really offer a kitchen sink for them to do their dishes. Has anyone else done that?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

When we first opened the guesthouse, the suites were just rooms with queen beds and en-suite bathrooms, TVs with cable, and outdoor furniture on the balconies.  The guests shared a community kitchen, and we would often do their personal laundry when we washed linens and towels.  A couple of years later we upgraded to king beds, smart TVs with Netflix, Disney+, YouTube, Samsung TV Plus and other streaming apps (no more cable), and bistro dining tables. 

Then during the forced closure due to COVID we removed the shared kitchen and installed nicely equipped kitchenettes and laptop desks in the suites.  The suites also have compact washing machines and spin dryers, we provide detergent and cleaning supplies, and we no longer do the guest's laundry or offer in-room cleaning during stays.  The suites are now self-catering studios, and guests are given plenty of household supplies to use during their stay.  They just need to buy their own food.  We often get compliments about the room designs, and how the suites are well furnished and stocked.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

This is great @Debra300 !! Seems like a massive change took place in your amenities through years. Glad to know that your guests really appreciate the extra amenities and compliment your listings. Extremely well thought out🙌.

-----

Where did you find the compact washer and dryer? What brand are they?

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Renee291,

The brand we purchased is Magic Chef, but they are made by a company called Midea which manufactures appliances for several brands, such as RCA, Panda, Comfee and Galanz.  You may find them online at popular sites like Amazon, Walmart, Home Depot.

We have had no problems with them, and even use one personally because it's more convenient than going upstairs to do laundry.

I've been considering adding laundry facilities but have very limited space. I will look into these. 

Sounds like a niche market!  WTG.

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

About 6 years ago, I installed USB charging points in the bedroom. Great for people who have forgotten to bring adaptors for the English powerpoints.

At first, I used to offer a light breakfast - croissants, bread, butter, jam, orange juice etc, but stopped. Most guests didn't take up the offer, or complained because they were gluten- or lactose-intolerant, or vegan (not that they let me know beforehand), so it just seemed easier to keep my prices down and not offer breakfast, especially being very close to at least 10 cafes within a five minute walk

At first, I used to leave little treats for my guests including chocolates. But not now. Some Swiss guests said that they were insulted that there was inferior (non-Swiss) chocolate offered to them!  

I also used to leave bottles of water for guests.  But now I am of the opinion that we are lucky to have drinkable tap water, so I've stopped that.

Less freebies means I can keep prices down and less stress for myself. Hasn't noticeably impacted my bookings or ratings