Laundry and electricity

Laundry and electricity

Good afternoon,

We'd like to know what the best way to launder bedsheets. We have been washing in hot, but with the rising cost of electricity we were wondering if we can wash in cold. Is that enough to certain the linens are clean?

Please advise when you can.

Thanks so much!

—Leigh

17 Replies 17
Dana184
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

@Leigh625 I use warm, and the lightest cycle.  I think you could use cold as long as they are coming out clean.  As mentioned above, most detergents are made to work in cold water.   Every once in a while, someone gets some kind of oil on the sheets, which I  assume is body lotion or hair conditioner, and that can be very hard to get out.  

@Leigh625 I use hot for whites, cold for colors. I have recently added black towels as a guest option as many of my white towels were getting unremoveable stains from beachgoers. I was having to throw away a lot of white towels.

Elwood5
Level 2
Virginia, United States

Use a quality brand cold water detergent.  

Presoak cycle helps too.

Use a detergent with beach alternative for whites if you're not on public sewage. 

Hot water has other inherent risks, such as scalding a guest in shower and fading clothes.

There are sanitize settings on most machines, however the highest temperature setting would unlikely be hot enough to kill mold and viruses. 

You can't always use the highest dryer settings either less risking damage to delicates and fading.