New to hosting

New to hosting

Dear community, I'm new to hosting and would very much like to get your thoughts and recommendations on how to kick off and have more bookings for our guest house unit. I have played around with different price points and running the promotions as well. Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

https://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/1208861027632005871?source_impression_id=p3_1724873803_P3U3bDz4CRNc0F2L 

Bhumika_0-1724873825938.png

Thank you in advance.

Ladan

[Content updated by Community Manager]

15 Replies 15
Jason1751
Level 2
Bourne, MA

I would put the exterior of the house with background view, not just the view by itself.  If you have trouble booking set a low price to get some 5 star reviews and then you can regroup once you have a few reviews showing. Also I have had luck with running promo's mid week 

Good luck, looks like a nice place 

@Jason1751 Thank you for taking the time and review my listing and sharing your thoughts and suggestions.

Joan3451
Level 2
Seattle, WA

First impression, The home seems very clean and open, but seems a bit too open and might need to fill some gaps with a just a tad bit more decor. I would also change your first 5 photos to show more of the home. I think the title already focuses on the view. So would put one photo of the view ant he rest of the actual home. For pricing, I like to use price labs to help me price out my rental for me based off what's priced in the area in comparison to other rentals and hotels. its a subscription but I think its worth it.

Thank you @Joan3451 for taking the time and review my post. Definitely will look into Price Labs to get help. Appreciate the tip.

Hi Ladan! Right off the bat, you need to re-order your photos. Your cover photo should be of the space, not the view. I suggest this photo. Your First five photos should really be of The space guests will be using (Living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, balcony). Also, your bedroom count on your listing says 3 bedrooms, but you mentioned two bedrooms in your description. I also think you should Add some bullet points of driving or walking time to popular destinations under your description, and some bullet points of key features of the house under The Space section. And maybe get a little more descriptive under the space section and give guests a little “tour” of how the space is laid out. Best of luck! 

IMG_8809.jpeg

Thank you @Jessica3760  Already made the changes to the photos. I still like to keep the view as the cover but will start with all the interior photos. Great feedbacks.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Thank you so much @Jessica3760 @Joan3451 @Jason1751 for sharing your kind support with new Host @Ladan38 ! Truly appreciate your thoughtful advices 🌻  I am tagging @Ladan38 on your behalf so that she notices your suggestions.

I wanted to quickly share a Community Center tip that :  If you'd like to tag members in your comments — simply press on @ in your keyboard. This will help the author @Ladan38 to get notified of your comment. Thanks again!

Hi @Ladan38 , I have updated your post a little with your listing link and image, so that it's easier for Hosts to access your listing to share feedback. Hope it helps!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thank you for your help and support.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

We're always here to support you @Ladan38 🤗!

I noticed that both @Marie8425 and @Janice651 have made similar comments about managing the bedroom and office space to make it clearer. Do keep us posted how you progress with implementing the suggestions from other Hosts😍

We'd love to continue hearing about your journey 🌻

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Janice651
Level 2
Hagersville, Canada

Hi @Ladan38 - awesome space. I would put a photo of exterior first. Less photos with the view. Instead of 3 bedrooms- say 2 bedrooms & an office. (Because you do say the office is not to be used as a bedroom). For washer/ dryer: you identify that dryer is in unit, but washer does not say that. I would make both the same. I don’t think you need to say in unit. It’s very beautiful & think you are going to have great success 

Thank you @Janice651 for your feedback. I'm not sure if I was able to select 2 bedrooms and an office but will look into it. Get feedback on the photos and washer/dryer.

Hi @Ladan38 I remember when I first started hosting—it was both exciting and a bit overwhelming. Over the years, I've learned a few things that I think could help you get started and attract more bookings for your guest house.
First off, make sure your listing stands out. Invest in good photos—natural light works wonders—and write a detailed, engaging description that highlights what makes your place unique. Mention nearby attractions and the type of guests you’d love to host.
When it comes to pricing, do some research on similar properties in your area. Start with competitive rates and consider offering a new host discount to attract your first guests. Using dynamic pricing tools can also help you adjust your rates based on demand, which can really optimize your income.
Guest experience is everything. Be responsive and clear in your communication from the start. Little touches, like a welcome note or local tips, can make a huge difference. And, of course, cleanliness is key—guests appreciate a spotless, comfortable space.
Don’t underestimate the power of reviews. Encourage your guests to leave feedback, and always respond to reviews, whether they’re glowing or critical. It shows you care and helps build trust with future guests.
Lastly, stay active on your hosting platform and engage with other hosts. Joining local or online communities can provide valuable insights and support. And if you’re up for it, promoting your listing on social media can also help reach more potential guests.
Hosting is a learning experience, and with each guest, you’ll refine your approach. Good luck, and remember, the hosting community is here to help you along the way!

Marie8425
Top Contributor
Buckeye, AZ

@Ladan38 

If you can't pick office just remove bedroom 3 and put the office photos under other.  I agree 3 bedrooms/ 2 beds just doesn't present well.

I would suggest trying without the "only experienced guests" turned on don't take everyone but at least people can ask.

Joann57
Level 2
Placerville, CA

@Ladan38 You have a beautiful place. I would lower the price. You can set a reasonable price for 2 people and charge extra for an extra person. 

I would add more color to your rooms. I suggest a better work space. Also some lush patio furniture. 

I add soda, water,coffee,,tea,  fruit and breakfast goodies for my guests.