Our recent change to the guest refund policy

Our recent change to the guest refund policy

B27C0C75-894F-4DE5-95F5-93F9B0EB5DE3.png

Hi Everyone, 

Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb. I want you to know we value you, we’re working every day to improve your hosting experience, and we’re listening to you. Recently, we updated our rebooking and refund policy to allow guests up to 72 hours to report travel issues, rather than 24 hours. Let me take you through our thinking as a company to get to this decision. 

As a two-sided marketplace, we are always putting ourselves in the shoes of both Hosts and guests. In this case, guests have been telling us 24 hours wasn’t enough time to reach out for help if something goes wrong. For example, if a guest wasn’t able to check in due to a malfunctioning lock, they may be more focused on getting settled in an alternative location and attending the event they traveled for. We also heard from Hosts that 24 hours often wasn’t enough time to resolve a guest’s concerns. For example, if a guest notified a Host that the air conditioner stopped working, it could take more than a day to contact a repair person and fix it. The 24-hour window was causing guests to feel like they had to cancel early, when more time would have been enough for Hosts to fully address the concern and keep the reservations.

We went through a similar assessment when we considered extending the filing period for Hosts to submit reimbursements requests. As part of AirCover—which includes $1 million in Host damage protection—if guests cause damage, you have 14 days to request reimbursement after they check out, even if other guests have already checked in.

I also want to assure you that we rigorously assess claims from guests in order to help protect you from fraudulent claims. And, we take action to hold guests accountable for those types of violations of our Community Standards. If a Host disagrees with our determination about a guest report, they may contest our decision and if after reviewing evidence provided by the Host, we agree with that Host, they will receive their payout for that reservation.

Your house rules are another important tool to help ensure the guest rebooking and refund policy is used as intended. House rules set and manage expectations for guests. For example, if you have a backyard pool, you might include a note that you make every attempt to keep the pool as clean as possible, but at times leaves and debris may end up on the surface. This can help guests understand why there may be leaves in the pool. 

Because of the importance of house rules, we’ve made them visible to guests when they book, and by booking, guests are agreeing to read and abide by them. House rules are also taken into account when guest refund claims are made, if relevant. Here are some helpful tips for writing and updating your house rules for guests.

We design all of our updates to help build trust, and will continue to do so as we actively listen to your feedback and concerns. I hope this note has addressed some of the questions I have heard. I want to end by thanking you for all that you do to provide the best possible hospitality for our guests.

Warmly, 

Catherine Powell
Airbnb Global Head of Hosting

407 Replies 407

Most people are very worried about people complaining about little things to get a free stay.  It sounds concerning and many hosts are considering other platforms.  Can we get more clarification on this.  What is fair would be a process for real concerns.  Ex.  People staying in a cabin complaining about mosquitoes that got in.  Someone stated that this could be any issue. 

Certainly, I am concerned and will explore options as a short term rental host.  

Perhaps 2 complaints for refunds and guests can no longer use the site.  

Kristina46
Level 10
Hawaii, United States

@Catherine-Powell  You say: “Your house rules are another important tool to help ensure the guest rebooking and refund policy is used as intended. House rules set and manage expectations for guests. For example, if you have a backyard pool, you might include a note that you make every attempt to keep the pool as clean as possible, but at times leaves and debris may end up on the surface. This can help guests understand why there may be leaves in the pool.”

Respectfully, this little example from your post has been rattling around in my head for days. You can’t possibly suggest that we put disclaimers such as this in our house rules. Try and ascertain everything a guest could find objectionable such as leaves floating in a pool and put it in the House Rules?

My House Rules are short and sweet. No burning anything on the property, no additional guests aside from your confirmed party of 2, no moving of furniture, no rinsing dive gear inside the house. No smoking or parties. Call me unreasonable, but House Rules do not seem to be the place to "manage guest expectations." But maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years!?

Are you sure you didn't mean for disclaimers such as this to go elsewhere in the listing? And even doing that will make our listings into  a theatre for the absurd. What happened to Airbnb welcoming the adventurous traveler, those on a journey to ‘belong’ no matter where we go in the world? You book a tree house in Bali and now can claim after staying for 72 hours that it had "issues" such as bugs or bark falling on you. You as a guest have simply dismissed the fact that your rental is, after all,   is located outdoors in a tree.  Or maybe woodpeckers pecking wake you up every morning? Refundable since host didn't mention the possibility of woodpeckers in the house rules. Get a refund and then get moved to the Hilton. All for free! 

Every house in Hawaii has geckos. Need to put that in my house rules: "You may see geckos in the apartment, as they inhabit all homes in Hawaii. They are curious and completely harmless. Unfortunately we will be unable to remove them if you freak out over a gecko. Almost impossible to catch, they move fast!"  Maybe my kids could catch them with a net since they are boys and were born and raised in Hawaii. But I have never once been able to catch one! 

If the day has come where we now have to prepare our guests for the possibility of (the horror) leaves in the pool,  we better do it because otherwise they are entitled to a complete refund and now they have three days to check for leaves and call to be re-accommodated if they find them. That’s a great way to go from my humble studio to the overpriced Sheraton, because that’s the nearest hotel. Do I also have to pay their resort fees and mini bar charges too? How about couples massage, daily room service and cocktails by the pool? (Thank god hotel pools never get leaves dropping in them!) 

I will never ever again look at a pool with leaves in it the same way.

Kristina46 It's even worse than that. In the article, she says to put the disclaimers in your house rules, but the policy itself has not protective language that accounts for any disclaimers listed in the listing or the rules. So even if we took her advice and posted every possible conceivable disclaimer in our listing\rules, Airbnb doesn't need to take that in to account and can still give a full refund.

@April197 What's apparent now is that Aribnb hosts appear to now be held to a higher standard than a five star hotel. Saw a palmetto bug on the lanai at the 4 Seasons? We do apologize. But we are not moving you to the Mauna Kea. Nor will we refund you.

It seems like more and more the yelpers are getting their way. The customer is always right. They are being rewarded for finding fault in a place. Now they will actively be looking for it, as the rewards for doing so are that high. 

Kristina46  Agreed! I already started the process of moving off of Airbnb and  our last 8 bookings have been from other platforms, so there is that! After 10 years of being a superhost and hosting thousands of Airbnb stays, it seems like it is time to move on. 

I have never been on IB. Instead, I vet all guests carefully and try to weed out the complainers, nit pickers, yelpers and whiners before accepting.  

I saw that too!  I actually do mention that occasionally leaves find their way into the pool, but not in the house rules! There is another section, something like “things to note”. But I may be more explicit. For example now that it’s spring, every week there is a unique different species of leaf in the pool, depending on what’s blooming here in Dallas. The more exclusive the neighborhood, it seems the more varied the leaves are, in pools here, lol.  I always skim the pool every day during the season and we keep it well maintained of course.  We also leave the skimmer if guests want to do it.  No one has complained yet, because they like the nature.  All the hosts seems disheartened by this new policy, in all the different groups, like some disaster is looming; gee, what could possibly go wrong when a guest has 72 hours to find something complain about without telling the host and surprise!, the host finds out and has one hour to address it with Airbnb.  It makes no sense!  Especially when some of the reps are poor decision makers.

Her example has done the same to me regarding leaves in a pool.  I have a pool at my personal residence (that I do not rent out).  Every single day, multiple times a day there is a lead in the pool.  

i find it appalling that we would need to educate guests on that.  That sounds like something airbnb needs to educate guests on.  Ridiculous claims such as this!   Heaven forbid a bug make it into the house after a guest left the door standing wide open for hours at a time!  Or a leaf fall in an outdoor pool!  

I just took my property that sits on 12 acres in the woods off of the airbnb platform. I’m not going to risk having guests complain about things that come with the territory.  VRBO and direct bookings will fill in airbnbs space.  

i hope other consider doing the same and snoozing or removing their properties until airbnb understands it’s our properties and as such, we control decisions around them.  Not airbnb! 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed feedback, @Kristina46.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

My co-host and I have gone around and around on this same issue. This is Alaska. If guests see a moose coming into the driveway, do we lose all of our money? It does happen.

We came up with this for our House Rules but still wondering if it is enough.

Mosquitos are often jokingly referred to as Alaskan's State Bird - so please expect you may find mosquitos in the home or on the property - and if you leave the windows and doors open, we can guarantee it. Beetles, Mosquito-eaters, spiders, and other creatures may wander into the apartment from the lush garden/outdoor patio areas. We sometimes even have moose visitors; squirrels and a variety of birds are welcome in the gardens. This is Alaska! One year a Lynx walked down the middle of the street and a bear was seen a couple of blocks away. We rescue fish which means our guests may enjoy the small fish ponds on the patio garden.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Same issue here.  It's Sydney, my backyard is rainforest.  I can't stop wildlife from wandering into the grounds or sauntering through the house, and don't get me started on the 'spider thing'.  The definition of 'pest' needs to be very, very tightly defined and location specific, as should hosts' responsibilities with regard to managing said 'pests'.

Lori2666
Level 3
San Antonio, TX

My biggest issue with the new policy is the possibility that the host may have to refund all money AND pay for hotel. If they refund money, then the guests can use that money to book their new stay. We should not be doubly penalized. This makes zero sense.

Gail148
Level 2
United States

The policy is nuts. It’s so anti-host it beggars belief. 

Brenda914
Level 2
Ashford, WA

Hello !

@Catherine-Powell  I also have been concerned about this new policy & I see I am not alone. My listings are in the mountains, surrounded by nature (bugs, rodents, leaves, pine needles, etc.)   I am also in an area where the power, internet, or cell service can go out at anytime, regardless of the weather. Ammenities such as hot tubs, appliances, & BBQ's can break without warning. I state in my listings; 'No refunds for power,internet, or cell service outages, inclimate weather or roads, appliance failures including the hot tub, *or anything that is beyond my control*.  With this new policy, am I to understand that not only does this mean nothing, but I may have to refund the guest, pay out of pocket for them to stay elsewhere, in addition to fixing the issue?  As with hot tubs or major appliances this can be very costly in itself.  I have  no problem refunding someone if the power is out for an extended period of time (even though I say no refunds for that) for the nights they did not stay & they want to leave, which I actually have done without the guests requesting it. But I could not afford to pay for their new accomodations. 

I have been very happy with Airbnb so far and have been fortunate in not having any issues as others have experienced with customer service. But this new policy has me a little concerned as it is now my only source of income. The policy seems to need some tweeking in favor of the hosts.  

Possibly just taking out the parts about "Special amenity or feature does not funtion",  as a travel issue. as "stuff happens" and I think most would agree, that hosts do their best to make sure everything is working & clean prior to check in,  & are willing to address any issues ASAP. Also take out the part about the hosts being responible for payment of new accomodations if the guest decides to leave. A refund of the unused nights should be sufficient and I think most hosts would be happy then. 

Thank you for your time and considering my suggestions:)

@Brenda914 

Thank you for messaging me here, Brenda.

We received a lot of feedback and you are not alone. As you may have already seen, we published a list of FAQs further clarifying the points you raised about amenities. We could have been much clearer here and I apologize. We also understand that some locations, like yours, are maybe prone to certain pests and wildlife which we take into account as well. Additionally, we removed language about Hosts being responsible for rebooking costs. I hope the FAQs are helpful. Please do reach out with any additional questions or concerns.

Thank you so much for hosting with us.

Kindly,
Catherine