Our recent change to the guest refund policy

Our recent change to the guest refund policy

B27C0C75-894F-4DE5-95F5-93F9B0EB5DE3.png

Hi Everyone, 

Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb. I want you to know we value you, we’re working every day to improve your hosting experience, and we’re listening to you. Recently, we updated our rebooking and refund policy to allow guests up to 72 hours to report travel issues, rather than 24 hours. Let me take you through our thinking as a company to get to this decision. 

As a two-sided marketplace, we are always putting ourselves in the shoes of both Hosts and guests. In this case, guests have been telling us 24 hours wasn’t enough time to reach out for help if something goes wrong. For example, if a guest wasn’t able to check in due to a malfunctioning lock, they may be more focused on getting settled in an alternative location and attending the event they traveled for. We also heard from Hosts that 24 hours often wasn’t enough time to resolve a guest’s concerns. For example, if a guest notified a Host that the air conditioner stopped working, it could take more than a day to contact a repair person and fix it. The 24-hour window was causing guests to feel like they had to cancel early, when more time would have been enough for Hosts to fully address the concern and keep the reservations.

We went through a similar assessment when we considered extending the filing period for Hosts to submit reimbursements requests. As part of AirCover—which includes $1 million in Host damage protection—if guests cause damage, you have 14 days to request reimbursement after they check out, even if other guests have already checked in.

I also want to assure you that we rigorously assess claims from guests in order to help protect you from fraudulent claims. And, we take action to hold guests accountable for those types of violations of our Community Standards. If a Host disagrees with our determination about a guest report, they may contest our decision and if after reviewing evidence provided by the Host, we agree with that Host, they will receive their payout for that reservation.

Your house rules are another important tool to help ensure the guest rebooking and refund policy is used as intended. House rules set and manage expectations for guests. For example, if you have a backyard pool, you might include a note that you make every attempt to keep the pool as clean as possible, but at times leaves and debris may end up on the surface. This can help guests understand why there may be leaves in the pool. 

Because of the importance of house rules, we’ve made them visible to guests when they book, and by booking, guests are agreeing to read and abide by them. House rules are also taken into account when guest refund claims are made, if relevant. Here are some helpful tips for writing and updating your house rules for guests.

We design all of our updates to help build trust, and will continue to do so as we actively listen to your feedback and concerns. I hope this note has addressed some of the questions I have heard. I want to end by thanking you for all that you do to provide the best possible hospitality for our guests.

Warmly, 

Catherine Powell
Airbnb Global Head of Hosting

407 Replies 407

No all of these are "part of having STR". With my direct and V bookings most of those risks are eliminated because I can vet potential guest and REFUSE to rent to an unsuitable party. 80%+ of those risks would be eliminated or greatly mitigated  without Airbnb's "secrecy veil" + intimidation of hosts into accepting any and all bookings under the fear of "penalty" + intimidating guests to "only deal on airbnb platform".  

Kim572
Level 5
Parkersburg, WV

@Catherine-Powell 

Only a part of my reply posted, so here is the rest:

I think allowing 72 hours for a guest to report a travel issue is unreasonable, but that is not the issue that’s going to drive me off the platform.  What is going to do that is the requirement to refund the stay AND require the host to pay for equivalent or better accommodations for travel issues.

There’s another OTA has that requirement and that is one of the main reasons I will never list on their platform.

I live in a small town and am known to have AirBnBs.  I’ve had several friends and acquaintances ask me about hosting on AirBnB because they were thinking of getting into hosting themselves.  I could have made some easy bucks by referring them.  But did I?  No. I shared my experiences as an AirBnB host honestly and they all decided it wasn’t for them.

Honestly, if I had understood the entirety of AirBnB operations and policies, I would not have gotten into it myself.

I try my damnedest to be a great host and to give every guest the kind of stay I would like to have.  I already stress myself out over guest reviews every time I host an AirBnB guest.  I so much prefer guests who aren’t from your platform because I don’t worry myself over the review—will I get one, will it be good?  Your review system is crazy, and most guests don’t understand it and need to be educated about it.

So I already had reasons I didn’t like your platform.  But now?  You have raised my risk of hosting and my dislike of your platform to a whole new level.

The hosts who are writing here are a small fraction of your outraged and angry hosts.

I anticipate I’ll be moving off the platform as a host this year.  I also use AirBnB as a guest, and will continue to do so, but I think my days as a host are drawing to a close if this policy takes effect as scheduled.

Hi Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to post in the Community Centre. This is a great place to share feedback so I am glad you are here.

As you may have seen, we are removing the language about Hosts being responsible for rebooking costs from the policy. It has been in our policy for some time (at least since the 2019 update), but has rarely if ever been used, really only in cases of egregious Host-caused cancellations. As we know, good Hosts rarely cancel and if they do, it is almost always because of reasons outside of their control.

We just published even more details on how the policy works and the updates we're making as a result of Host feedback like yours. Thank you again for sharing your comments. I sincerely hope you continue your hosting journey with us for many years to come.

Best,
Catherine

@Kim572 

Laurie612
Level 3
Charleston, SC

Hi @Catherine-Powell , this policy was put in place to protect good guests and punish bad hosts. But its effect will be to punish good hosts and reward bad guests. Airbnb can solve this today by focusing on the bad hosts only, and not throwing us all under the bus. You can do this as follows: 1) Define "travel issues" so they are not subjective and open to interpretation; be clear and say what you mean.  2) Enact the "host pays" policy ONLY when a host receives 3 verified guest complaints in a 3 month period, which should demonstrate that the host is a nuisance host who needs correction. 3) Go back to the 24 hour policy; 72 hours is too long (I read the explanation why it was changed, and it shows that ABB has not really thought it through).  3) Do a better job of vetting hosts so you can assure that your guests will be appropriately served; your host vetting system today is pretty lame.

You claim that hosts are the heart of the business; truly, you don't have a business wtihout hosts, and ABB has a bad reputation amongst hosts for always taking the guest side without verification. There are competitors to ABB in the market. ABB is getting "too big for its britches," as my mom would say. Please change before it's too late. 

I think they want to k i l l  off any business ...and if not planned, it will, for sure - for them.

Hi @Laurie612,

Thank you for this note and for your patience while I read through all of the comments.

I appreciate your candid feedback and realise that our recent policy update raised more questions than answers.

As you may have seen already, we pulled together this list of FAQs located in our Resource Centre that will hopefully ease your concerns. The points you raise here are addressed in this article in more detail.

Warmly,

Catherine

Toff0
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

As host I’ll advise to remove that new policy as it’s will put huge impact on small Airbnb owners who earn living from it . 
As far as I know lot of people not happy with new policy as it’s works for the benefit of guests rather than hosts . 
gusts can put faults claim and get refund or better place , what I mean is there are small minority of guests  who I’ll use and abuse new policy to get free stays which they can  fabricate lies or photos to claim that house it’s wasn’t in best ordered as they seen or been promised . Or can’t check in on time , “ most of Airbnb houses has self let in system like key safes “ so no excuses . 
from my point of view this new policy I’ll effect host which will drive them to snooze the accounts or look into other source of income from other platform , a platform can offer them peace of mind and security , Which that I’ll effect Airbnb in long run seeing hosts switching  leaving to other platform which offers then more security .

thanks  

Georgiann1
Level 2
Easley, SC

I might not be weary of this if I had not received two different answers from two different Airbnb customer service reps when an issue was reported after the guest was in my unit for twenty days. She complained that she had to park on the street when my  listing clearly says “ off street parking”.  She did not know what that meant among other things.  One rep who spoke with the guest said she was clearly working the system. The next I know is that I have a $600 loss.  Don’t you have notes on your system so CS can read what happened?  I was very disappointed with the determination. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Catherine-Powell  Thank you for providing information on the recent 72 hours reporting travel issues. You also say that “Hosts are the heart and soul of Airbnb”

• However, I believe the powers to be, have undervalued Hosts because without Hosts there is no product called “Airbnb”. No money for Executives or Shareholders. I also have read from this page that Hosts are not happy with the 72 hours ruling for complaints and refund policy.
  • I believe that if a person is to complain it should be within the first 24 hours of leaving the premises because if it is for a valid reason, it should be dealt with straight away not as an afterthought. Most people have access to Airbnb via phone email and the internet.
  • I believe most Hosts want to do their best for their guests and achieve a positive outcome for both the Guest and themselves.
  • Another point, the Airbnb Host provides more than a Hotel and Hotels don’t wait up to 72 hours for complaints or grievances to be evaluated and responded to. Most times decisions are made there and then with the owner or manager for a refund. If the result for the guest is negative and not to their satisfaction, in Australia the Guests can complain to consumer affairs or contact a lawyer and proceed to lodge a complaint with the judicial system. Most guests wouldn’t proceed this method unless they believe they have been hard done by or have been harmed.  
  • It has also been pointed out several times that “Reporting” is not “Rectifying” and I am quite sure a true citizen would understand that repairs or malfunctions can take time to be repaired or fixed. This is where communication between Hosts and Guests can overcome an issue or agreement to solve a problem if there is to be a compensation, a refund or find alternative accommodation with out the involvement of Airbnb allowing 72 hours for a complaint to be made.
  • What I find difficult to understand that it appears from reading of complaints from CC are about Hosts not being notified of a complaint from a guest to Airbnb and decisions are made in favour of the guest without consulting the Host within a reasonable time. When a complaint is made in the extended time frame of 72-hour window with 1 hour for Host to respond to Airbnb is a bit one sided. For example, if my Guests use their phone/email to contact me, I will probably miss the deadline of 1 hour that Airbnb has in their new rules. Because I personally have other commitments and don’t carry my phone on my body or forever looking at my phone. Therefore, I would say that Airbnb is acting for the Guest rather than the Host “how sad”.
  • The removal of the Security Deposit is another safety net for the Host weakens the defence for the protection of the Host and their property, even if it wasn’t enforced. Sadly, this can add no respect for another’s property and possible destruction by a Guest.   
  • House Rules, one must consider how much does one write on or in their House Rules. You also have to wonder how much do Guests read and understand if there is too much they switch off and or don’t comprehend that these rules are for them set out by the Host. It has also been pointed out by other Hosts that the rules should be acknowledged during the booking process rather than being at the bottom of the listing which would be more helpful for the Guest. When the rules are acknowledged, accepted by Guests then the Host is notified with their booking information, hence both parties know where they stand.
  • I think it can be difficult when a Host promotes their Natural Environment when you live by the Beach or Remote and Rural property. To list all the insects, birds, native and protected animals that live or visit on your property can be endless. I think this has become a “Mad Mans” breakfast. Listing the noise of the local parrots, possums that visit at night, mosquitos, lizards and spiders that like to call in to say hello. Unfortunately, some Guests are delighted, and others are disdained. I have to ask, are we now promoting our list of our rules and regulations over our accommodation?

@Catherine-Powell I appreciate that you have acknowledged some of the Hosts who have written on this CC page and have tried to explain as to why the 72 hour rule has come in for the Guest to complain but I feel the outcome will be an exit by Hosts from Airbnb.

On an Australian Airbnb Facebook page their are multiple discussions and complaints from Hosts with similar statements to this CC page about the 72 hour time frame for complaints. There are similar negative reviews on this same topic and they state they will be using other web sites and will possibly exit from Airbnb. I am sure their are many more Facebook pages in different countries from around the world with similar conversations as to this.

The hosts that have used this page to voice ther opinions are scincere about the 72 hr complaint period. I believe that the majority Hosts do their best to provide a high standard of hospitality for their guests.

Now that this 72 hr ruling has been implemented I think it is time to undertake a review of the feedback, analize the communication, interpretate the information, re-evaluate for a positive outcome for all that have an invested interest. Such as: the Host, Guest,  and the Airbnb company.

Lastly, Hosts are Airbnb without Hosts there is no Airbnb.

Hi Laurelle,

Thank you for your comment and sharing your point of view!

From the feedback we have received from other Hosts, we realized that many Hosts simply aren’t familiar with this policy, and our update raised more questions than answers. We pulled together this list of frequently asked questions to help provide more details about how this policy works.

We are also removing the language about Hosts being responsible for rebooking costs from the policy. It has been in our policy for some time (at least since the 2019 update) but has rarely if ever been used, except in cases of egregious Host-caused cancellations. As we know, good Hosts rarely cancel and if they do, it is almost always because of reasons outside of their control.

I hope this helps address your concerns.
Catherine

@Laurelle3 

Renee552
Level 2
Seattle, WA

@Catherine-Powell, this policy was put in place to protect good guests and punish bad hosts. But its effect will be to punish good hosts and reward bad guests. Airbnb can solve this today by focusing on the bad hosts only, and not throwing us all under the bus. You can do this as follows: 1) Define "travel issues" so they are not subjective and open to interpretation; be clear and say what you mean. 2) Enact the "host pays" policy ONLY when a host receives 3 verified guest complaints in a 3 month period, which should demonstrate that the host is a nuisance host who needs correction. 3) Go back to the 24 hour policy; 72 hours encourages complaints after  checkout instead of during which allows hosts to remedy 3) Do a better job of vetting hosts so you can assure that your guests will be appropriately served.

You claim that hosts are the heart of the business; truly, you don't have a business wtihout hosts, and ABB has a reputation for a

taking the guest side without verification. There are competitors to ABB in the market. Hosts will now need to diversify channels to reduce the risk you are introducing with this new policy.

I really like your sensible and very workable solutions @Renee552 

@Ann72 I just noticed that this comment by  @Renee552, was first posted by @Laurie612  upthread.

Not sure what’s going on here, but It doesn’t do to repost other folks comments as your own. Just saying. 

Oh my God @Colleen253!  Very bad form @Renee552 and I'm sorry @Laurie612.  I can't read every page of this thing - that only happens when Random House is paying a lot of money for what I'm reading 😂 😂 😂 😂

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Renee552 Thank you for all this constructive feedback and suggestions, we'll pass those along to the team! In regards to the travel issues, I was wondering if you could share a bit more detail with me actually. Which ones do you think are too subjective and open to interpretation? 

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines